what to wear for heavy exertion, that is easy to put something over later

davsco

WKR
i have a pair of sitka timberlines (i think, the ones with suspenders). they work good when i have to climb high or far for a hunting spot, don't sweat too much. but then they're a PITA to take off and put a layer such as fleece under them (i guess all pants are, especially in rain, snow, cold, etc) after the trek when you cool down and need another layer.

i'd just wear the fleece while hiking up, but if there's rain, snow, etc they will soak that up.

so what's a good base layer (brand, material type etc) for hiking up, that i can put the sitka pants on over, to stay warmer after the hike? thanks!

Does it have to be an under layer? Maybe heavier, but what about a pair of synthetic or down pants? No undressing required. Just throw them on over your main pants once you get to your spot and get dug in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gchs4464

FNG
I personally like down pants, but if your really want something to wear underneath your pants Kuiu make a zip on and off base layer or your could get the m65 pant liner it buttons on and off, and they could be worn underneath or over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
For e-z on/off you need full length side of the leg zippers or at least zippers that go to the knees but if your taking boots off anyway for getting bottoms on it really does not matter.

Chuck44

FNG
Another vote for the KUIU zip-off base layers...or the zip-off Kenai pants. No need to take off your pants or remove boots to add them when you finish hiking.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
Does it have to be an under layer? Maybe heavier, but what about a pair of synthetic or down pants? No undressing required. Just throw them on over your main pants once you get to your spot and get dug in.
thanks but thinking i want a more substantial/holds up better, outer layer (ie my sitka pants). the zip off under layers mentioned here are compelling.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always wear base layer bottoms (normally lightweight or midweight merino) under my hunting pants from 100 degrees down to below zero........and especially for heavy exertion. The only thing that changes from that is what pants I wear over them, or what I put over my pants if I need insulation.

tdot

WKR
The zip off underlayers from Kuiu were game changers. I use them backcountry skiing too. Not sure why no one else made something like that available before.

Kuiu zip-offs are NOT overrated. Just last week I was hiking up the shaded side of a hill. Got out into the sunshine and started getting warm... zip zip and baselayers are in my pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Kuiu zip-offs are NOT overrated. Just last week I was hiking up the shaded side of a hill. Got out into the sunshine and started getting warm... zip zip and baselayers are in my pack.

That's when I WANT my baselayers, when it is warm and I'm sweating.......to get the sweat away from my skin.

I agree with you. But to me there is a gap between needing a baselayer when its warm and a baselayer when its cold. Just MO.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I always use the zip off base layer bottoms over my light base layer. So taking them off if I am hot just makes sense.