What to wear for stalking Antelope

mudcat81

FNG
In a couple weeks I am headed out to western Nebraska for a archery antelope hunt and I am wondering what clothes and camo people prefer. I have hunted antelope a couple times but always from a blind and it really doesn't matter what I wear. I would like to try spot and stalk and possible use a decoy. The area is mainly slow rolling hills and short prairie grass. I have a couple pieces of warm weather Sitka Subalpine but think it will be to green and dark in contrast to the terrain. Probably overthinking it but I know those lopes have keen eyesight. Appreciate any help.

In a couple weeks I am headed out to western Nebraska for a archery antelope hunt and I am wondering what clothes and camo people prefer. I have hunted antelope a couple times but always from a blind and it really doesn't matter what I wear. I would like to try spot and stalk and possible use a decoy. The area is mainly slow rolling hills and short prairie grass. I have a couple pieces of warm weather Sitka Subalpine but think it will be to green and dark in contrast to the terrain. Probably overthinking it but I know those lopes have keen eyesight. Appreciate any help.
I don't think you should worry about getting different camo. Just as long as it breaks up your outline and you move smart, it should be fine - especially behind a decoy.

The real trick seems to be not letting any goats see you at all. I spent all weekend stalking goats in solids - got to 40 and 20 yards on antelope but never got any shots off.

Antelope's vision is so darn good that I'm not so sure a different camo would make the difference between a goat giving up your position at 400 yards and in or not.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In our opinion, the Ascent Pant and Core Lightweight Hoody is the ultimate archery antelope system. The Ascent Pants are extremely lightweight and somewhat durable. The Core Lightweight Hoody does an excellent job at wicking moisture away from your body and has a built in face mask which comes in handy while making stalks. The Subalpine pattern looks great in the grasslands of western NE.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy spot and stalk and it is my preferred archery antelope method of hunting. Here is my setup for what it is worth:
  • Go lightweight (spot and stalk can be everything from crawling to sprinting, hands and knees, sneaking along...)
  • Consider using knee and elbow pads (or use those built in to some Sitka pieces if you have them; I have crawled, scooted and had to lay down for an hour or so waiting for a buck to bed. Thorns, cactus and rocks are no fun lodged in your hands/knees/elbows on a stalk)
  • Camo is not too important; just use something to break up your outline and nothing too dark overall
  • Have your bino and rangefinder setup dialed for easy access in any position (you may need to range an antelope while prone, then bring your knees up under you to get up for the shot.)
Good luck!

Pick whatever material let's you hike comfortably all day depending on what the weather is doing. You're overthinking it if you are worried about colors and camo pattern. If an antelope catches you skylined or moving, you will be busted no matter what you're wearing.

I do like having kneepads for a long belly-crawl stalk. My old Sitka pants have integrated kneepads and they work great.

For me crawling has been the ticket. Knee pads, elbow pads, and good leather gloves, Low and slow in some cover. Usually I'm in dry arid desert scape so pick some clothes you don't care too much about.

I don't think you should worry about getting different camo. Just as long as it breaks up your outline and you move smart, it should be fine - especially behind a decoy.

The real trick seems to be not letting any goats see you at all. I spent all weekend stalking goats in solids - got to 40 and 20 yards on antelope but never got any shots off.

Antelope's vision is so darn good that I'm not so sure a different camo would make the difference between a goat giving up your position at 400 yards and in or not.
I second everything said here and would agree with others that knee pads are a lifesaver. I haven’t tried elbow pads but may have to give that shot after hearing so many suggestions for them.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I use some tan colored wrangler contractor jeans and a tan/baje colored shirt. Probably 30$ in total. Like others have said, if the see you move it doesn’t matter what your wearing your busted

OP
M

mudcat81

FNG
Appreciate all the advice and real world experiences. I guess what I am looking for is good warm/hot weather clothing that will hold up well to belly crawling and such. Knee pads and possibly elbow pads are great advice. I have EB guide pro pants that I prefer to wear when its hot but they are smoke color and would prefer something that didn't stand out so much against the grass. Built in knee pads would be nice. I am going to start looking into lightweight pants with built in knee pads.

In our opinion, the Ascent Pant and Core Lightweight Hoody is the ultimate archery antelope system. The Ascent Pants are extremely lightweight and somewhat durable. The Core Lightweight Hoody does an excellent job at wicking moisture away from your body and has a built in face mask which comes in handy while making stalks. The Subalpine pattern looks great in the grasslands of western NE.

Why not the Apex pants? When I called their helpline to get an idea on the pro's of each, they suggested the Apex. Verbatim, he quoted the ascents are a base model chevy and the Apex are a full optioned GMC.

Appreciate all the advice and real world experiences. I guess what I am looking for is good warm/hot weather clothing that will hold up well to belly crawling and such. Knee pads and possibly elbow pads are great advice. I have EB guide pro pants that I prefer to wear when its hot but they are smoke color and would prefer something that didn't stand out so much against the grass. Built in knee pads would be nice. I am going to start looking into lightweight pants with built in knee pads.

The Apex pants are what you're looking for. They are pricy, but rather comfortable. Extremely quiet.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Why not the Apex pants? When I called their helpline to get an idea on the pro's of each, they suggested the Apex. Verbatim, he quoted the ascents are a base model chevy and the Apex are a full optioned GMC.

The Apex pants are what you're looking for. They are pricy, but rather comfortable. Extremely quiet.
The Apex Pants are another excellent option! The Ascent Pants out-perform the Apex Pant in terms of breath-ability, but the Apex Pants are more quiet and they come with knee pads. Both of those pants are pretty tough to beat for spot and stalk antelope hunting!

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Your focus should be comfort, not camo. If they can see you it's game over, I don't care if you're in a ghille suit made of the sagebrush they're in. They can tell when something is off. Wear bright fluorescent pink for all I care as long as it's not too hot and protects you from the sun and cactus. Knee and elbow pads are critical. Camo is 100% literally useless, and anyone who says otherwise I don't think has hunted them that much.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk