What to wear in the thorns

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have some ideas for clothes to wear pig hunting in west Texas? I moved here last fall, and for those that dont know theres thorns on EVERYTHING around here!! Hunting with a rifle thru the winter i just wore Carhartt pants and a leather jacket, but thats not gonna be an option this summer. Im planning on using a longbow so ill want something a lil quieter than the Carhartts! Any ideas for something cool, quiet, and strong enuf to keep most of the thorns out?

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve never hunted Texas, but I bought a pair of snake proof chaps about 20 years ago. They have worked great for thorns and cacti... and obviously snakes. They aren’t very quiet, but I’m so scared of snakes, I don’t care if the sound like a herd of cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, Carhart pants. Even in summer. Sweat through them and they’ll actually you’ll cool down. No, not joking.

Im a local and Ive tried everything and keep coming back to carhart

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Thorns and thin enough clothes To keep you cool don’t really go together. From my limited experience I’d suggest carhartts

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I'm a 15 year transplant to TX that's hunted here for 25 years. Carharts and chaps for me - not much chance of staying cool outside of December in W. TX and leather chap+snake boots will keep your hide largely intact.

Go with leather chaps or up-to-the knee snake gaiters. Synthetics will make a lot of noise. I'll wear upland pants when walking through the desert for quail and dove. Works great for the cactus but does go "swoosh swoosh" with every step.

Hondo

WKR
I've worn chaps & gaiters but generally wear Upland pants and/or Snake proof boots. Out of them all I find the Snake proof boots to be the most quiet although, as pointed out, when it comes to birds & snakes quiet isn't so bad.

Whenever snake proof boots are mentioned I am reminded of the story of the South Texas Rancher/Guide telling his east coast customer that when he comes down to hunt quail that a shotgun and game vest will be furnished to him but he will need to get his own pair of snake boots to wear. When the customer shows up he is wearing something like these boots in the photo.

Python Boots.jpg

You are over thinking this, you can wear snake boots or get the foreverlast Snake Guard or just wear your typical boot you hunt in.

Only thing I would say is a leather boot is better then synthetic for puncture resistant, so leave synthetic boots at home.

West TX isn’t STX. It’s not that bad. STX better off with a machete and roll of duck tape, and leather chinks... or just take your time and high shoulder shoot everything

Any pant will work, I prefer prana zion.

Seriously the $40 foreverlast snake guards are all you need, if any thing

Last edited:
Get a pair of these: Carhartt flex Rigby double-front pants

They are light, tough, quiet, and very comfortable - awesome hunting pants!

gumbl3

WKR
Go get you a pair of turtle skin gators and wear shorts... You'll never bust brush again without them