What top am I looking for?

I currently wear a FL Kiln for most of my hunts - outer layer early fall, and base layer for everything else. I like it, but the last couple years, there have been times in Montana when I've gotten sweaty while walking, and then took my pack off when glassing and my back is freezing. The thought of something under the Kiln doesn't really thrill me since I love the way it fits and something under it seems like it will get bunched up, so I'm curious if there is something similar in weight/warmth, but wicks better..

Kuiu Peloton 97?

Sitka Apex Hoody?

Or do I need to just suck it up and put something under it?

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
The 97 dries really fast but it’s not real comfortable against the skin. I can wear it for a day without irritation but otherwise I wear a thin poly t under it. Sorry nothing else to recommend.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
the last couple years, there have been times in Montana when I've gotten sweaty while walking
You make it sound like this is unusual. Don't you sweat all the time while elk hunting? If I'm moving, I'm sweating.......even in cold temps.

It appears that the Kiln is a 250 weight merino. Personally, I am not a fan of any merino above lightweight merino. So I always start with my lightweight merino base and then layer over that with poly fleece if needed. But most of September all I want is my lightweight merino and my thin poly Microtex Lite camo shirt up top. I tried layering merino on top of merino once and it stuck to each other causing bunching, and it certainly didn't make me any warmer or more comfortable. But fleece works well over merino. I almost always have at least two layers on regardless of the temps. That second layer just makes me more comfortable.......and the sweat has to go somewhere.

OP
cornfedkiller
You make it sound like this is unusual. Don't you sweat all the time while elk hunting? If I'm moving, I'm sweating.......even in cold temps.

Yeah that part was more the setup to the second part.. getting sweaty while walking is probably inevitable, I'm trying to avoid my back and shoulders being cold from it when I stop.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton 97 over a thin merino T is the way to go. The 97 is like an extension of a base layer that can be removed while still having the benefits of the wool base layer under it but the advantage of the synthetic fleece drying. Like was already stated, I am not a fan of heavy weight merino, lightweight only for me. I find the 97 very comfortable unlike the gentleman above posted. 97 is one of my favorites and if I’m active this setup is good into the 30s for me.

Run the FL wick merino as your baselayer then throw the 97 or something over it when you stop. Or just start with a synthetic base like the lightweight Sitka then when you stop, take off the original baselayer and throw the kiln on plus any other layer you need.

sndmn11

WKR
I throw on the corrugate when glassing. It is wind resistant enough that I don't get cold while breathable enough it lets my base dry and doesn't bleed off the heat. I was thinking of getting the ridgeline for the same purpose in warmer conditions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm trying to avoid my back and shoulders being cold from it when I stop.
The only way I combat that is with a heavier fleece or down puffy in my pack that I can throw on if or when I stop. Sometimes I'll hike in early and get to where I want to be and it's still dark when I get there.........and it's cold, especially with the sweat I just worked up hiking in. So I'll throw one of those on to keep warm until the sun is up or I'm back to moving again. I prefer the down because it's lighter and warmer than the fleece.

ChrisAU

WKR
Peloton 97 over a thin merino T is the way to go. The 97 is like an extension of a base layer that can be removed while still having the benefits of the wool base layer under it but the advantage of the synthetic fleece drying. Like was already stated, I am not a fan of heavy weight merino, lightweight only for me. I find the 97 very comfortable unlike the gentleman above posted. 97 is one of my favorites and if I’m active this setup is good into the 30s for me.

This this this.

Peloton 97 over a Wick 150 or similar is by far and away my go to if I am moving in cool to freezing temps. Easy to shed the 97 if you get too warm.

OP
cornfedkiller
Ryan's second layer thread got me thinking about this thread again and I still have a couple questions..

1) To the guys suggesting a lightweight merino under a peloton 97, what is the purpose of the merino? It's my understanding that its the fleece that absorbs the sweat from the merino and then dries quickly, keeping you from getting cold, so I'm unsure what the merino is doing?

2) I wear Peloton 97 bottoms and have no issues with comfort - assuming the top would be the same?

3) What about a Peloton 97 for a base, then a 240 for a second layer if its cold, and then toss a jetstream on when I stop. Thoughts on that?

4) What does the Kiln do better than the 97? Just wont smell after several days?

jd1006

WKR
I wear sitka’s lightweight merino zip or kuiu’s 125 merino under the peloton 97 when moving. That’s to preserve stink. I think sweating is inevitable, so you just want fast drying layers (like the peloton 97) and I use the Kuiu 240 vest, so that they will dry quickly and you can layer over them when stationary. I’d never hike in heavy merino (more than the 150 weight). I bought some SG boxers that are 170 weight and it might change my mind, as their blend dries quickly. But, that’s splitting hairs. The kiln is way too heavy for me to hike in. I see it shining as a baselayer for whitetail stand hunting.

I’m from the midwest…our hunting style does not translate to the west. When hiking you create heat and moisture that needs to evaporate, or it will make you feel cold. Heavy merino just does not do that, it’s designed to keep you warm, not move moisture. When stationary, you need to trap the heat you’ve generated, so that’s where an insulation layer comes in. And then you need something should wind/rain/snow compromise your insulation.

OP
cornfedkiller
I wear sitka’s lightweight merino zip or kuiu’s 125 merino under the peloton 97 when moving. That’s to preserve stink.

So wearing the merino under the peloton will help with the stink? I wasn't sure if that was the case or not since the sweat still ends up passing through the fleece before it dries.

I’m from the midwest…our hunting style does not translate to the west. When hiking you create heat and moisture that needs to evaporate, or it will make you feel cold. Heavy merino just does not do that, it’s designed to keep you warm, not move moisture.

Same. And I've always worn merino wool while treestand hunting but since getting the peloton 97 bottoms, I've started wearing them for my treestand base layer and I think they are warmer than 230g wool bottoms I have.

I just prefer the FL merino's feel for a next to skin layer. The lightweight merino (whatever they call it) is what I like for active hiking. I like to switch to the 97 or throw it over the merino layer when I stop and want something dry for glassing. For colder temps & mid to late season the Kiln is my go to and I'll throw stuff over it as appropriate. The 240 and Jetstream are my favorites and I carry a puffy.
Sometimes I'll just go with a light synthetic base if I'm going to have a long hike in somewhere knowing I'm just going to soak anything I wear and change it at the glassing stop.

I like that the merino layers will keep me warm even if they're sweaty. I'll usually just hang em on a tree or a bush or have a little fire going. If I'm wearing a pack my back is warm anyway if I'm sweating.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Not having moisture against your skin lessons the cooling effect. Merino holds moisture inside its fibers so it’s not in direct contact to you and since the space between fibers is dry it can hold some insulation. Fleece is warm because it holds very little moisture. Both materials wick moisture so either can be a base layer. Combining merino under fleece gives you the best of both worlds, keeping each layer light minimizes their weaknesses. Fleece over merino also protects the merino from abrasion.

Merino fibers are shaped in a way that bacteria (cause of odor) have a hard time bonding to. Merino can’t block any odor, it just doesn’t allow it to manifest. A synthetic material has some odor advantage in that moisture or sweat doesn’t easily stay in the fabric for long if it’s not a dense weave and there’s some airflow. Sunlight also kills some bacteria so a fleece being your outer layer is less likely to stink than if it’s constantly under a jacket. The odor treatment to synthetics are to simulate merino’s ability. I find it to work well if it’s not your next to skin layer.

I’ve worn two ‘97s before. It’s a nice combo if abrasion isn’t a concern. Zero wind resistance though. That’s where a denser fabric (pretty much any other mid layer) comes in.

I wish someone would make a pack shirt, mesh on the back, a thin polyester on the back of the arms and shoulders with a wind resistant mid weight front.

Simon1523

FNG
I currently wear a FL Kiln for most of my hunts - outer layer early fall, and base layer for everything else. I like it, but the last couple years, there have been times in Montana when I've gotten sweaty while walking, and then took my pack off when glassing and my back is freezing. The thought of something under the Kiln doesn't really thrill me since I love the way it fits and something under it seems like it will get bunched up, so I'm curious if there is something similar in weight/warmth, but wicks better..

Kuiu Peloton 97?

Sitka Apex Hoody?

Or do I need to just suck it up and put something under it?
Smartwool Merino