what traditional muzzleloader to add

nebhunt

WKR
I am thinking about buying another traditional style muzzleloader for hunting. I currently own a T/C Hawken in 50 cal. Would like to find another 50. What are the thoughts on a Lyman?

Sonoman

FNG
I've been shooting the lyman gpr in 54caliber for years now. For a non custom muzzleloader i don't think you can go wrong. They are a good factory shooter. I have been a roundball shooter only since I started hunting 30 years ago. I know that lyman makes a model that is a faster twist for conicals, can't remember which one right now.

Sonoman

FNG
One thing to add now that I thought about it. Mine and my sons are the older Lymans. They are now made by pedersoli. Have heard different things about the new ones as far as build goes. Most say the build is alittle better. I know the price went up quite abit also.

CoHiCntry

WKR
The Lyman seems to be a good choice coming from those who own them. For me personally, production muzzleloaders don’t do anything for me anymore ( I own now & have owned previously several production guns) I’d be looking at a custom built gun. Used if $ is tight.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
Maybe I should consider getting a green mountain barrel and find a used T/C Hawken stock for it? Black out the brass.

Would love to find a good used custom.

Sonoman

FNG
I've got 3 custom guns that I really enjoy shooting. 36,40 and 45 cal. The thing I like about the lyman is I'm not worried about dings and scratches from taking it through the woods. The smaller calibers are nicer to shoot, lower recoil and you can shoot quite alot without burning through your powder reserves.

Don't laugh, but I've loved my cheap Traditions Hawken I made from a kit. It's a fantastic shooter, very reliable accuracy. They have lots of different kits to choose from, and the fit and finish is as good as you make it. Hardware is cheaper, though it varies from kit to kit.

Bite the bullet, find a good builder, do some research and have a long rifle built, you will never look back.

WKR
Keep an eye on gunsinternational.com for good deals on used customs. If you have a 50 already, personally I'd go 58 or 62 roundball twist. My 58 is a joy to shoot and hard on game. Like my 54 also. The Lyman with roundball twist would be great too. If willing to work on one a bit, finding an abused T/C and having Bobby Hoyt bore it out a caliber or two is another option.

58 caliber here.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested in this. A couple questions for the group:

who are some custom rifle business to research?
what twist rate are you looking at for shooting lead conicals (thinking NoExcuses 460's)?

I think I would want to stay with 50 cal just for availability of materials.

thanks.

EdP

WKR
Look at the custom rifles listed on Track of the Wolf to see what a custom job will cost. There will probably be some new and used for sale. Keep in mind that Track marks them up 25-30% over what the seller says they will take. Note that the good custom builders often have a significant backlog (my builders backlog was 3-4 years).

A friend has a longrifle from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading that he is very happy with both in regard to quality and price. They are a "semi-custom" shop in that they do a standard product line of traditional MLs without a lot of bells and whistles like fancy carving, inlays, etc.

I hesitate to mention kits because I know people that bought them and got overwhelmed, so they sit in a closet untouched. However, if you are handy you might consider a DIY kit. The Jim Kibler kits have a reputation for being some of the easiest for a beginner.

WKR
Some really nice Browning rigs on Campfire. If they were lefty, never made a lefty so I am safe, I'd buy one.

They are in the classifieds and pricing is very fair on them. No relation to seller.