What trail shoe that doesn’t soak up water like a sponge?

Laker

FNG
Seems like every low trail shoe I’ve had soaks water like there’s no tomorrow. So looking here for what lightweight trail runner type shoe that has kept your feet dry in most wet situations. I realize a shoe won’t keep your feet dry in a three day rain,but something that keeps water out if you step out of a boat in a few inches of water for a split second and doesn’t act like a sponge.

Hondo

WKR
I like the Salomon XA Pro GTX shoes for a lightweight wet weather trail shoes. A buddy of mine swears by the Oboz trail shoes but I have not tried those. I had some Montrail GTX trail shoes which were nice to wear but too much of a chore to put on and take off due to the design of the sewn to upper tongue. I've had several Merrell's and they are hit & miss in my experience.

Try looking at a category of shoe's called approach shoes. They are intended for climbers to use them on there approach to a climbing area. Some are more suited for climbing, but others are more similar to trail runners. Salomon use to have a great one, but I just noticed it is no longer being made. I currently have a pair of Salewa.

early season elk hunting I wear my asolo shivers a lot, paired with some lightweight water resistant gaiters, they keep my feet dry mostly, and I still get the breathability of low tops. I wear the lighter kuiu gaiters with them, and for morning dew on the coast, that setup works well... gaiters keep debris out too of course.

I usually wear as light of boots as I can, and archery elk hunting I wear my shivers about 50% of the time, if there is a need for more boot I wear my crispi summits, and pack moccasins in my pack (socks don't cut it for my feet, one sharp stick or rock, and my sneakiness is compromised) the shivers I just stalk in, that's why I like them.

2 elk seasons and still intact, which is impressive to me

What about the Crispi Monaco GTX? Crispi boots have always kept my feet dry.

Actual trail runners will never keep you dry very long because the gortex (or other material) liner they use is sewn through in areas and isn’t a full boot/sleeve like Crispi and some other quality boot companies use. The trail runners, like the less expensive boots, made with this design flaw will almost always develop leaks as the shoe flexes. It may take a while for some lucky folks but it WILL happen.

It’s going to be a balancing act - either go with these upgraded tennis shoes and get wet feet occasionally/eventually or get something that’s a little closer to a hiking boot and know your feel will stay dry. I guess it depend on how much wet weather you incur and how much it bothers you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk