What type of gear do you have way too much of..and don't care?

ChrisAU

WKR
I have an almost weird obsession with high quality hunting clothing since I discovered its existence a couple years ago thanks to this site. I have significantly more First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu etc than my financial status warrants having lol.

OP
H

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Have to say the collection of deer urine has given me the biggest and most surprising laugh.

First it was camo clothing for me.
Next was rain gear. Lots of raingear.
Boots, oh god the boots I own.
Optics, got a taste for swarovski, went nuts and still buying.
Tripods, probably the most extensive collection of high end tripods and heads east of the mississippi.
Merino base layers, like my first lite, could outfit a military division most likely
Shotguns, specifically turkey guns,why so many when you can only shoot one at a time.
Treestands, think I have enough to cover just about every tree in my home state.
Sleeping bags, western mountaineering is my weakness but I have others as well.
Coolers, why does Rtic always find away to add one to my pile every year?

I realized years ago when I packed my truck full of gear for a 2 week midwest hunt and realized I still had enough in my hunting room for 4 more guys to be fully equipped, I knew I had issues. I will be the one you see on the show hoarders.......

Maverick1

WKR
1. Ever add up the total cost of the items you have purchased and actually used?

2. Ever add up the total cost of the items you have purchased and never used?

Ever compare #1 to #2?

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Bows and camo clothing.

You can never have too many guns or too much ammo ..........unless your house is on fire.

TxxAgg

WKR
I have actually done very well in this area....because my approach is to have one good/quality item and not have multiples. I ask myself "Why own something if I'm not going to use it?" and "Why have more than one if I can only use one at a time?" My simpleton approach resulted in my being a one-rifle owner for nearly 20 years, and am on my third bow in 30 years. (Have since bought a couple of rifles!)

That being said, it took me a long time to find a pair of hiking boots for elk hunting that fit my feet really well. After a couple of seasons of trial and error, I found the right boots for my feet. Afraid they would change the model, stop production, or go out of business, I stock up on them whenever they go on sale....I have something like 10 pairs, of which 4 or 5 are brand new. They will get used at some point!

Other than that, I've got pile of diaphragm elk calls - never know when one is going to have the latex stretch out or leave it someplace!

And inexpensive headlamps....I use those things all the time.....have a bunch inside the house, in each vehicle, out in the shop......

I love all of this

TxxAgg

WKR
Used to have piles of all of it then started whittling it down. Sell off first...give away second, trash can third. Gave away a 270 and a pistol this past weekend and it was like taking a big poop.

The getting rid of feels as good as the acquiring.

I love this, too.

I have way to many arrows. I just sold off most of my bows and now down to 1 actual hunting bow and 1 older backup. That is a first in 5 years I only had 2 bows. Feels good to use just 1 bow and get the feel of it rather than "upgrading" every year and always trading and selling. So now I got dozens of different arrows for 3d, Indoor, hunting, etc... I'll use em someday

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Way too many packs, camo, and knives. Minnow buckets...the old school ones with cool graphics are my house decor. Boats...kayaks, canoes, jon boats. Vehicles...have a couple I can't seem to get rid of due to nostalgia. Lots of guns and fishing poles, but I don't consider that a problem. Way too many things with a motor and battery...ATVs, UTV, outboards, tractors. Tons of tools, but I use almost all of them.

Anyone else have piles of stuff outside that you can't seem to get rid of? Piles of bricks, reclaimed lumber in the shed, old fence posts, etc. I save stuff I think I can use down the road but 90% of it never gets used.

I have done a lot of thinning the last couple years and it feels good. I still have a long way to go. I have realized all that stuff causes unneeded stress. Sometimes I feel I spend more time organizing it than using it, and a lot of stuff hasn't even been used.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
H

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Great replies and amazed how many people realize it and now are working on giving stuff away/ The last two year's I've volunteered as a mentor for a mentee hunt. Both people I hunted with I gave them camo clothes from my collection along with a bag and a knife. Like others said I have enough to outfit 3 people. Giving it to a new hunter and their appreciation was as good as punching a tag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wish I could be a one rifle guy. I used to mostly bow hunt and just had a single rifle, now....I don’t bow hunt and have too many rifles.

At one point I was bouncing around with three one person tents at home. It was miserable deciding on the one I wanted to bring on a trip because I liked something about each of them. This one is lighter, this one has more head room...I finally settled on just one that is pretty good all the way around. That being said, I am always a sucker for another backpack! Just hunting gear in general!

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Stoves. I have more stoves than I will ever need and still look at them. I love knives and flashlights but I have just a small team of each.