What used pack to go with

So I live in Illinois and whitetail hunt public land, pack in a hang on stand. Take DIY trips out west and will hopefully be moving west in next couple years. Pack will be used as daypack for deer and overnighter out west. I’d like to buy a used on from the forums. Looking at Exo’s and MR. With all the frame changes and bag switches, what would be a good base frame and smaller pack to start with that I could possibly buy a larger bag later on for? (Looking at Pinter or Selway) I want to buy something that will be compatible down the road to buy accessories used on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to check out kifaru's new Stryker pack as well. It was designed for exactly what you just described... Also, no system on the market is as modular/customizable as kifaru's

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MattiG

FNG
I picked up an Eberlestock J104 or J107 (similar to current dragonfly) for less than $100, which turned out to be an absolute steal for the quality and versatility of the pack . Given the lack of love e-stock gets here, they're a great bargain option when they come up. Folds down enough for carry-on bin, but expands to ridiculous proportions with optimal bag zipped in. I'll probably upgrade some day, but it's exceeded expectations so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UP NORTH

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you. I whitetail hunt here in MN but take a couple trips out west every year. I'm thinking Im going to pull the trigger on a Kifaru frame and a Stryker. The possibilities seem endless with a Kifaru and will last a lifetime. I had a MR metcalf but sold it after the season. I'm wanting something more modular than what they offer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I believe that in order to find which pack frame will fit you the best you may need to go thru a few different brands/models. Probably best to find good deals and try things over a few months and keep playing with the adjustments until you get the best fit. Right now I am using an older SG krux, X-Curve and a MR Guide Lite. The independent length adjustment of the shoulder straps on SG lets me get a better fit than the MR which adjusts both shoulder straps to the same length ( I need one side a little longer than the other side and I noticed the guy that does all the Kifaru videos commented that he does the same, I think his name is Aaron?). I really want to try a Kifaru but I need to watch what I am spending right now....buy right and field test for a while....maybe have two to use at the same time......you may loose a little $ in the end but finding the right fit could be worth that imo. I have a used Kifaru bag coming that I hope I can adapt to my SG frames for the time being, just ordered some buckles form Kifaru.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I'm lucky to live in Idaho where the Exo and Initial Accent bags are manufactured(Boise area). There are a few stores that carry MR.
I tried them all and thought Exo was the one I wanted until I tried my friends Kifaru. After carrying that bag and frame with 80 pounds, it was a no brainer.
In your curent situation, the kifaru duplex frame and the either the 22Mag or Stryker sound perfect. You can easily add another bag when you come out west or simply use pockets, pouches, and a dry bag to go as many days as needed.
Good luck with your choice.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as you. I whitetail hunt here in MN but take a couple trips out west every year. I'm thinking Im going to pull the trigger on a Kifaru frame and a Stryker. The possibilities seem endless with a Kifaru and will last a lifetime. I had a MR metcalf but sold it after the season. I'm wanting something more modular than what they offer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You will not regret it. You hit the nail on the head with your post.

OP
L
Any ideas on sizing of Kifaru? I am an odd build, I’m 6’4 and about 175, 32” waist

BluMtn

WKR
Well for what it is worth, I am currently using the other K word pack. I have the Extra tall frame with the new pro harness and apex shoulder straps. It works extremely well for my style of hunting.

OP
L
Well for what it is worth, I am currently using the other K word pack. I have the Extra tall frame with the new pro harness and apex shoulder straps. It works extremely well for my style of hunting.

I am not familiar with the pack you are talking about..kinda new to this

OP
L
Oh duh...I should’ve known that. They’re modular systems that switch out bags look very very intriguing, however, I’ve heard they lack when packing really heavy loads.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
While you are at it I would check out the Seek Outside Revolution frame as an excellent option as well. I've owned and used Kifaru, SG, and SO, with SO being the most comfortable carry for me at all weights I've carried (upd to 80#).