What was the best thing you ate in Elk Camp this year?

Time for a fun thread.....season is over for me. Had a great time with my elk hunting buddies but no blood on our Muzzleloader hunt in 161. Day six we had a Fish Fry courtesy of my buddy Glenn from Missouri. Flathead catfish and crappie.....potato chips and of course a beverage.

What was your best meal?

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Matt83

FNG
Great topic. I’m a DIY hunter so camp is what’s carried on my back. With that said I like the Peak Refuel meals and my favorites are beef stroganoff and the biscuits and sausage gravy is restaurant quality! Snacks I like to carry are slim Jim with the cheese stick is a welcome treat and Think bars are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted with Western Colorado Outfitters in zone 62. Tag soup wasn't the best meal, however the Cornish game hens stuffed with wild rice were incredible. They run a first-class camp.

Scoot

WKR
Brisket, potato salad, chips. Had some crab salad on crackers for an app and cookie salad for desert.

I made some bomb Pozole for one of the nights of our archery elk hunt. I brought some fresh limes too. My hunting partner happened to bring some tortillas and a can of refried beans we heated up on the camp stove. I have to say some hot pozole with limes and warm tortillas stuffed with refried beans was one of the best meals of my life after getting rained on all day. The trick is to pre-cook everything then freeze it. Then at camp when its time for dinner you just dump it into a pot, fill with water and warm up and serve.

KHNC

WKR
Missed 3 grouse. Best meals were packit gourmet burrito and texas fair chili

BDRam16

WKR
Carnitas tacos with guacamole from town the first time we moved locations. Man they hit the spot like nothing else. Went from let’s go home to let’s get back out there real fast.

As far as actually in camp…my homemade dehydrated spaghetti with turkey meatballs was delish.

Maverick1

WKR
Tough decision. (LOL) I ate the exact same thing every single day for 19 straight days.
Hmm, let's see, was it the:
  • Instant oatmeal - with cold water.
  • Instant mash potatoes - with cold water.
  • Trail mix.
  • Protein powder.
  • Two balance bars.
  • Peanuts. Cashews.

I'd say it has to be the balance bars.

2rocky

WKR
I had just about everything precooked, canned jarred or frozen for my hunt this year. I had a 6 day menu ready to go..

Breakfasts : 6 breakfast burritos with sausage, 3 strips of bacon, egg, and cheese

Lunches : leftover Dinners plus Salami, Cheese, Fruit Snacks, Mandarin oranges and Peaches

Dinners:
Grilled Carne Asada with Ben's Easy Spanish Rice
Pre grilled Pork Tenderloin with Ben's Easy rice Pilaf
Beef Burgundy with instant mashed potatoes
Frozen Pasta et Fagiole (minestrone like) add pasta
Pulled pork Sandwich or tortilla wrap
*Spaghetti or other pasta with pre cooked frozen ground beef in Marinara sauce
*Pre cooked-frozen Taco meat

Back up meals:
*Bratwurst with Mac & cheese
*Canned Chicken soup starter. Just add noodles and some stock
*Dennison's Chili with beans and Mac & Cheese.
*Dinty Moore Beef Stew
* didn't get to it.

I ended up fixing dinner for 2 nights of scouting and tagged out on Opening Day. I fixed dinner for three more nights in camp and one full day on the road. The pork tenderloin was 2 nights dinners.

Read1t48

WKR
How a friend prepped for his elk hunting trip...
7C08D4FB-52E7-4424-9CDB-05351E9DB436.jpeg

Should be illegal. How can there be any motivation to hunt when these are in camp! 😆