What was your best long range kill shot in 2013?

For me, it was a ground squirrel at 743 yards with the big stick. My daughter Jess and I were doing some practice on our shooter/spotter skills by picking out rocks in a basin and "killing" them. We found several 1 moa rocks in a dirt patch below us and started breaking them up. I was letting the barrel cool a little and scanning the patch when a ground squirrel popped up right in my crosshairs! I talked Jess into where he was, but the bugger disappeared into his hole. He came back out from a different hole a couple of minutes later, with Jess spotting him this time, but not me. If you have never tried killing them at long range, it can be quite frustrating! He finally lingered long enough broadside in the open for both of us to see him at the same time. I made a quick wind check, checked my breathing, and Jess said "send it!" The 300 grain SMK disintegrated the squirrel, with "lots of guts" as Jess would say later stuck to the dirt behind him:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For me, the long shots are easy......it's those darn close shots that I struggle with.:(:mad: At least for archery. I rifle hunted for elk and muleys for over 25 years and the longest shots I've ever taken were ~250 on elk and ~350 on muleys. I've shot birds further than my big game kills. But this year I haven't really had any long shots, or at least taken any.

Jon Pynch

FNG
one shot, shoulder. 973yds, idaho whitetail. 338-378 improved. muley at 600. the rest of my kills were under 400yds this year