What was your CO Elk Draw Result?

Did you win your CO 1st choice tag?

• Wouldn't you know, I drew my third choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd time is not a charm. 4th choice draws do exist!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
DEEF

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
I drew out out for 1st riffle unit 74, but might hunt otc in a different area.
I hunted 74 muzzle last year. I think the limited archery draw this year will improve the area. I felt the pressure there, but less so than my otc 12 two years ago—that place was packed. 74 has some strengths. I wish the FS would not provide that outfitter with a extended use permit in the wilderness area—seems like making house there all season defeats the wilderness purpose.

Boonjg

FNG
I hunted 74 muzzle last year. I think the limited archery draw this year will improve the area. I felt the pressure there, but less so than my otc 12 two years ago—that place was packed. 74 has some strengths. I wish the FS would not provide that outfitter with a extended use permit in the wilderness area—seems like making house there all season defeats the wilderness purpose.

We hunted 74 archery last year and had a hard time finding an elk, I sure hope the limited draw helps the area improve. I think the elk numbers in that area have been on the decline for several years, we at least saw more elk 10 years ago. I wasn't aware that outfitters in the area had extended use permits.

DEHusker

WKR
Put in for unit 49 archery elk with 5 points. Did not draw.

Gohunt has odds on that at 62% last year with 5 points, 100% at 6. Curious to see draw statistics to see how much it crept this year and if tag allotment changed. Had been creeping ~40% in past years if I remember right.

Stats are out. 49 jumped a whole point for nonresident and resident I think. I think last year was an anomaly with nonres being able to pull with 5...less than resident! LOL. I'm in your boat. I didn't draw with 5 either. Maybe next year, maybe not. This point creep sucks.

Colorado should split the archery season into 2 x 2week seasons like NM (early and late archery). That would draw out twice the points every year and keep point creep to a minimum. Harvest stats would essentially be unchanged but it would allow twice the tags to be drawn. Who actually hunts more than 2 weeks anyway? I know a lot of people hunt a couple days here and a couple days there the whole season but the split would be a good compromise. Ugh...

comitted

FNG
I bought my first points for Elk, Deer, Sheep and Moose. I think I might try to draw the Elk and Deer sooner rather than save them for a lifetime. But of course I need to start doing more research.

marktole

WKR
Stats are out. 49 jumped a whole point for nonresident and resident I think. I think last year was an anomaly with nonres being able to pull with 5...less than resident! LOL. I'm in your boat. I didn't draw with 5 either. Maybe next year, maybe not. This point creep sucks.

Colorado should split the archery season into 2 x 2week seasons like NM (early and late archery). That would draw out twice the points every year and keep point creep to a minimum. Harvest stats would essentially be unchanged but it would allow twice the tags to be drawn. Who actually hunts more than 2 weeks anyway? I know a lot of people hunt a couple days here and a couple days there the whole season but the split would be a good compromise. Ugh...

Stats have been out for a while and I have been disappointed for a while that 49 creeped so much. The worst part about the creep in 49 is its just slow enough to have a remote sliver of hope so I will keep chasing it, probably fruitlessly. Guess its all part of the game, but I would have a hard time putting in for a 2-3 point unit with 6 points, and that is literally the only option besides holding out for 49.

Interesting idea about splitting archery into two seasons, I had not thought of that. I am in favor of them taking ALL elk hunting in Colorado to a draw, just like deer hunts. People are still able to draw decent deer tags with 0, 1, and 2 points. Even lots of good 2nd choice tags out there, well, before this year. I would have to think it would make for a better quality experience of elk hunting and theoretically cut down the point creep.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a limited entry 3rd rifle season tag which was my first choice. Been planning and scouting the unit for past 3 years. Hopefully, the hard work will pay off and I can become one with the spirit of the mighty wapiti...

OP
DEEF

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted 74 archery last year and had a hard time finding an elk, I sure hope the limited draw helps the area improve. I think the elk numbers in that area have been on the decline for several years, we at least saw more elk 10 years ago. I wasn't aware that outfitters in the area had extended use permits.
I don't recall the name of the outfitter, but you can see on google earth his white canvas tent glaring in middle of prime wilderness on the south side of the area. I think it was on hermosa creek. When I heard they were in there for the long haul and how many of "their hunters" were in there with not exceptional success, I opted out of that basin. Lots of area to hunt in there, but I tallied 9 hunters that I knew were in there so I searched elsewhere.

Boonjg

FNG
Drew a limited entry 3rd rifle season tag which was my first choice. Been planning and scouting the unit for past 3 years. Hopefully, the hard work will pay off and I can become one with the spirit of the mighty wapiti...
Good luck! I've never tried hunting 3rd season, I would imagine most of the elk will be pushed to lower elevations from snowfall by then.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I've never tried hunting 3rd season, I would imagine most of the elk will be pushed to lower elevations from snowfall by then.

Yea, this hunt will be the culmination of lots of research, second guessing, e-scouting, wildlife data reports, and many of miles of scouting. Hopefully, the work will allow me to find an older age class of bull. If I end up eating the tag, I won’t be a jolly camper when I go back into the office...