What water filtration system are you using? Are you happy with it?

Steve P

FNG
If you are plannign to be below freezing then you need to keep most filters warm. I keep my HyroBlue Versa in a small plastic bag inside my shirt against my body during the day (not in a pocket) and it wroks very well to keep it from freezing and getting damaged. I have just started using a passport pouch inside my shirt so I don't accidentally loose my filter if I untuck my shirt to cool off on a harder hike. At night I keep in inside my sleeping bag to avoid freezing.

I always bring tablets as chemical treatment of your water may be affected (time) by colder temperature it will not be "broken" like a filter but chemical treatment does not clean your water so a pre-filter is oftern desired. Many use coffee filters or microfiber diesel filters.
Ok thanks

ncavi8tor

WKR
In my pack: Platypus 3L Big Zip LP
Sawyer Mini (ability to filter water if I run out)
Aquamira two part water treatment drops (emergency)

Left at camp: Platypus Gravityworks 4L system
2 Platypus softbottles
Saving this for my list!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I carry Platypus 1L SoftBottles. After use it compress down very small. Same one for years no leakage. Very durable. I use the Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L filtration system if needed.
1+ but not quite as fast as I had hoped but works well. prior to that used a MSR pump but I carry tablets just in case. wife and I ran into an issue running water wasn't there where it been for years filtered some small lake water had a funny taste and tint didn't get sick but added the tablets and was all good after an hour

4L Platypus Gravityworks kit. Be careful to work the air bubbles out when you start filtering and don't let the filter cartridge freeze. Best filtering setup I've ever used.

What is the best way u found to get the bubbles out I struggled a bit with this part or maybe I was just impatient

What is the best way u found to get the bubbles out I struggled a bit with this part or maybe I was just impatient

You will already have the tubing and filtration attached BUT before you attach the tubing to the Clean Bag suck on the tubing until you get water (no bubbles) then attach to the Clean Bag.

1+ but not quite as fast as I had hoped but works well. prior to that used a MSR pump but I carry tablets just in case. wife and I ran into an issue running water wasn't there where it been for years filtered some small lake water had a funny taste and tint didn't get sick but added the tablets and was all good after an hour

After filtration is complete, ALWAYS, remove the filter the shake the hell out of it in reverse direction of the water flow until no more water comes out. This will remove build up and keep the filter flowing fairly quickly. As the filter gets used it will inevitably slow down.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of the Sawyer. Not the mini but the regular size. Just make sure you don't freeze it. That is the only drawback. I put it in a baggie in my sleeping bag at night and it works great.

After filtration is complete, ALWAYS, remove the filter the shake the hell out of it in reverse direction of the water flow until no more water comes out. This will remove build up and keep the filter flowing fairly quickly. As the filter gets used it will inevitably slow down.

Thanks!

Hiker Pro & Camp Bag...both use the same filter. For base camp the camp Bag works great and is easy and fast...no pumping. For refilling my bladder the Hiker Pro gets water out the smallest, tightest cracks in a ground seep.

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
I used the Platypus Gravity works kit. It worked good. I had a Sawyer mini as a backup.

I've had great luck with the Steri-pen Ultra the last 3 seasons. The battery life is great and I haven't found myself needing to recharge it for 5-6 day hunts. The only downside is not being able to do large volumes at a time.

rob86jeep

WKR
Steri-pen classic used with a Nalgene and human gear lid to make sure you're lips don't touch any contaminated parts of the Nalgene. I also have a 1 liter Platypus plastic roll up bottle that I can fill if there's going to be a longer distance between water points.

For camp, a big (maybe 3 liter) water bag that I put tabs or drops in to purify as it's mostly just for cooking/camp use.

If I ever camp/hunt somewhere with really dirty water, then i'll look into a filter system.

bline

FNG
Steri-pen classic with an unused (so I don't have to worry about it freezing) sawyer mini as back up.

CO-AJ

WKR
MSR Trailshot into Nalgene then toss in a Katadyn Micropur Tablet to ensure no viruses.