What water filtration system are you using? Are you happy with it?

I’d like to see what water filtration systems some of you are using and if you are satisfied with their performance. I’m needing to purchase one. There are so many and so many good/bad reviews on pretty much all of them. I’m willing to carry some extra weight for a better filtration system that is easy to use and reliable.

Are you using Nalgene bottles or a hydration bladder in your pack? Are any particular bladders better than others as far as not leaking?
Thanks in advance for the help.

I carry Platypus 1L SoftBottles. After use it compress down very small. Same one for years no leakage. Very durable. I use the Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L filtration system if needed.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I use CNOC Vecto water bladders and love them! Durable and super east to fill with the entire end opened. Color coded to keep the dirty and clean water separated. I now use a Vera FLow filter which replaced my Sawyer Mini. The Versa Flow has much better design with threads on both end for bladder to bladder, bladder to bottle, bottle to bottle or bladder to filter to carbon filter to hose. It can be used inline with a hydration hose if desired and has much better flow rate than the Sawyer Mini. I usually use Smart Water bottles as they are much lighter than a nalgene but this filter system will work with just about anything.

I have 2 Platypus carbon gravity filters I can run in line if the source water is stanky. Pictured is foul smelling, stagnant, Michigan swamp water, carbon helped quite a bit but plan to test 2 in a row next time to see if it improves. The carbon filters do slow the flow rate but not a big deal. It is easiest to go threaded to thread so I will see if I can get a threated nipple to connect the carbon filter to the bottle when I use those. That was overflow is not a problem.
Cim6.jpg

On cold trips I just unscrew the filter when done and stow it inside my shirt in a zip lock bag to keep it from freezing. Back flushing with syringe helps keep the filter clean and dry inside. I carry tablets for emergency use in case something happens to the filter.

PS not affiliated in any way, just love the system.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
I'll typically use a Sawyer system with a bladder in the bag. I'm not going deep in the Backcountry or anything so some extra weight isn't an issue either.

A new angle I took this year was adapting a 40oz double wall botttle.

If you're handy, all I had to do was add a garden drip head to act as a check valve so it wouldn't leak through the air hole.

Then all you need is to get a 3/8" hose attached to the mouthpiece. I used once size up with a hose clamp. (No pic)

Its easier than it sounds.

I was hunting in late August vs mid September and wanted to avoid 80° water.

So I could put Ice cold 40oz of water in my pack without fear of leaking. And it stayed cold.

It water temp matters, or you want to use a hard bottle and a hose/mouthpiece to boot, send me a dm and I'll take better pics/measurements.
d8fd2a753910ef9a23b63c815c877ddc.jpg
99b7fbc400d6305c3d4554f5aa206905.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

snakelk

WKR
In my pack: Platypus 3L Big Zip LP
Sawyer Mini (ability to filter water if I run out)
Aquamira two part water treatment drops (emergency)

Left at camp: Platypus Gravityworks 4L system
2 Platypus softbottles

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to see what water filtration systems some of you are using and if you are satisfied with their performance. I’m needing to purchase one. There are so many and so many good/bad reviews on pretty much all of them. I’m willing to carry some extra weight for a better filtration system that is easy to use and reliable.

Are you using Nalgene bottles or a hydration bladder in your pack? Are any particular bladders better than others as far as not leaking?
Thanks in advance for the help.

4L Platypus Gravityworks kit. Be careful to work the air bubbles out when you start filtering and don't let the filter cartridge freeze. Best filtering setup I've ever used.

Voyageur

WKR
When weight really counts on multi-day backpack trips I use a Sawyer Squeeze. When weight is slightly less critical... say on a fly in hunt or really any trip with a base camp I’ll use my First Need filter.

I run a Sawyer Mini in-line on a set of Platypus Big Zips. It is the fastest system I could rig up. For camp water I have an extra QD that pops off the mouth piece. On the way back to spike camp each day/hunt I fill two of the zips from a water source and start every day with a full one.

I carry some tabs as an oh shit backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a gravity filter if I can keep it from freezing and I have more than one person. Platypus gravity works.

Maverick1

WKR
Sawyer squeeze. Very happy. Replaced my MSR pump a couple of years ago. Less weight. Less bulk. With proper fittings it hooks right up to the water bladder. Pop off the bite value, connect the sawyer unit to the bladder, squeeze away, disconnect when bladder is full, the reconnect bite valve. Make sure to get a one-way valve so the bladder doesn’t leak all over the place. Also have a few extra sawyer bags with as they can pop or leak. Not good in the backcountry. (Or replace the “dirty” sawyer bags with a platypus, much more durable).

twall13

WKR
I also use a 3 liter CNOC Vecto (love those things) as a dirty bag and a Sawyer squeeze threaded directly into it. From there I can use some small tubing to quick connect into my source tactical bladder (great bladders) without removing it from my pack. I can also have it flow directly to a nalgene or cooking pot, etc. I installed a shut off valve on my tubing and mostly use this system as a gravity feed system but can also squeeze it to make it go a little quicker if needed. I tried to use the Sawyer mini for a few years but the flow rate was slower and it plugged up pretty quickly so I decided the extra weight of the squeeze was worth it to me. If there is a possibility that the water will be dirty/silty I often bring along a nylon diesel filter as a pre filter in the dirty bag.

I've also had great luck with a First Needs XLE pump. I've filtered some nasty water with that First Needs XLE and it's always came away tasting great as that's a purifier, not just a filter. It's more expensive, heavier, and not as versatile as the Sawyer Squeeze but it works really well.

If money, and to a lesser degree weight, weren't a concern I'd look into the MSR Guardian.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years I've used a ton of different water purification systems. The setup I've ended up with for most of my multi day trips is the platypus gravityworks. I've used more compact, lighter gravity setups, but I've found that its worth the bulk and weight to be able to just hang the dirty bladder above the clean bladder and move on to some other camp chore while it does its work. If I know water sources are going to be scarce I'll bring two 3L dirty water bladders so I don't have to make trips back and forth to water.

Steelhead

FNG
We typically set a spike camp near some sort of water and day hike from there. For spike camp I've invested in a Katydin "basecamp" because, quite frankly, I hate pumping filters but I really like having a bunch of ready water for cooking or just drinking.
For hiking I do the Sawyer squeeze thing. Sometimes I squeeze the filtered water into a bladder in my pack with the detachable adapter thingy in the drinking hose, sometimes not. ...the bladder thing is new to me and I'm not quite convinced I like it.

twall13

WKR
We typically set a spike camp near some sort of water and day hike from there. For spike camp I've invested in a Katydin "basecamp" because, quite frankly, I hate pumping filters but I really like having a bunch of ready water for cooking or just drinking.
For hiking I do the Sawyer squeeze thing. Sometimes I squeeze the filtered water into a bladder in my pack with the detachable adapter thingy in the drinking hose, sometimes not. ...the bladder thing is new to me and I'm not quite convinced I like it.
My experience with the Katadyn Basecamp is somewhat limited but I'm curious to hear your take. The two I've seen in use worked awesome for the first few days and then slowed to a very slow trickle as the filter plugged up after a few days of use. In both cases it was a group of about 10 people all using it as their main water source so it had a fair amount of water filtering through it. In both cases the owners were never able to get the flow rate back to it's original state no matter how they tried to clean it. Of course you can always buy a replacement filter for like $50 but that gets expensive.

In similar scenarios my Sawyer Squeeze gravity system has always continued to have a good flow rate and a good back flush restores the flow rate pretty quickly if it does start to slow down.

Have you had better luck with your Basecamp? Again, my sample size is three backpacking trips between the two filters but it left me a little scared of relying on that setup.

Steelhead

FNG
My experience with the Katadyn Basecamp is somewhat limited but I'm curious to hear your take. The two I've seen in use worked awesome for the first few days and then slowed to a very slow trickle as the filter plugged up after a few days of use. In both cases it was a group of about 10 people all using it as their main water source so it had a fair amount of water filtering through it. In both cases the owners were never able to get the flow rate back to it's original state no matter how they tried to clean it. Of course you can always buy a replacement filter for like $50 but that gets expensive.

In similar scenarios my Sawyer Squeeze gravity system has always continued to have a good flow rate and a good back flush restores the flow rate pretty quickly if it does start to slow down.

Have you had better luck with your Basecamp? Again, my sample size is three backpacking trips between the two filters but it left me a little scared of relying on that setup.

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with the basecamp. That's a bummer! I've only used it the last 2 seasons, so around 14 days total, filtering water for 3 people and I didn't have any problems. Honestly I've been waiting for something to go wrong since it just seems too easy. Now you got me wondering!
So yea, no problems so far but I'm definitely going to have my radar out now. Glad to hear the Sawyer gravity system is working. I freaking hate throwing away money so yea, I'm not interested in spending another $50 on a new filter if this thing plugs up...
I should add that the water I filter is pretty "clean" out of a spring, so not a lot of junk to filter outside of the stomach bugs. FWIW