What water filtration system are you using? Are you happy with it?

Platypus filter freezing issue and bubbles in filter and/or tubing.

Freezing: I remove the filter from the tubing and I shake it getting every last drop of water out before I store it in my tent. I roll it up in some clothing to prevent freezing. TIP: I shake the filter in the opposite direction of water flow. Essentially backflushing the filter which helps maintain flow rate and longevity.

Bubbles: The quickest solution is to suck on the tubing until the water comes out in a solid stream. Yes, this is a joke prone statement. It's all good!! All joking aside, it works and gets the water free flowing into the clean bag.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Platypus filter freezing issue and bubbles in filter and/or tubing.

Freezing: I remove the filter from the tubing and I shake it getting every last drop of water out before I store it in my tent. I roll it up in some clothing to prevent freezing. TIP: I shake the filter in the opposite direction of water flow. Essentially backflushing the filter which helps maintain flow rate and longevity.

Bubbles: The quickest solution is to suck on the tubing until the water comes out in a solid stream. Yes, this is a joke prone statement. It's all good!! All joking aside, it works and gets the water free flowing into the clean bag.

I just flush and backflush the filter until all the bubbles are worked out, but I guess sucking would work too if that’s how you like to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ktex88

FNG
Bit the bullet and bought an MSR Guardian. Couldn't be happier. The thing is bombproof, dont have to worry about it freezing and it pumps water like a faucet. Connects directly to my nalgene and reserve bladder.

Jakeini

FNG
In CO I used a katadyn type pump to filter water into MSR bladders to leave at basecamp. Worked fantastic, though a little slow. Here in WA, I’ve been using a two bag gravity filter (platypus I think?) for basecamp stuff in the cascades and haven’t had any problems. Granted there isn’t much to plug the filter in the glacial runoff streams, so I’d say my experience is pretty limited. I also usually carry a lifestraw nalgene...setup...thingy... that works great for day trips. If I had to pick one thing to run, I’d probably go with the pump.

Jimss

WKR
I started using the Katadyn BeFree water bottle with filter this summer while bighorn sheep scouting and really like it. It filters super fast, doesn't clog, and virtually doesn't add any more weight to my pack. In fact, the bag with the attached filter is actually less weight and bulk as Nalgene bottles. It also saves having to haul water around if water sources are available....merely fill up the bottle and drink as you need water.

Someone just started a steripen post. I can see where steripens would be super light and functional, however. you may also need a filter to rid water of debris and muck?

There are quite a few youtube reviews on different filtering devices and the Katadyn BeFree was one of the fastest filters of all of them. If you need to filter large quantities of water it's possible to use the bag and filter to fill up several containers. Some of the small pumps are great but would weigh more and take up additional room in a pack.

If you want to go super light and compact I would highly recommend BeFree!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I like the sawyer mini. In freezing conditions I keep it close to my skin while hiking and in my sleeping bag at night.

+1 for the Katadyn hike. Had it for a few years now, the only thing I don’t like about it is the filters are terribly expensive and if you try filtering a mud puddle you can kiss it goodbye😆

D wine

FNG
Sawyer mini easy to use and light weight. Platypus bags don’t take up much space when not being used.

hikenhunt

WKR
sawyer squeeze and 3L bladder with hose quick connects to filter directly into bladder. I also carry a few tablets and a 1L platypus bag for backup.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Bit the bullet and bought an MSR Guardian. Couldn't be happier. The thing is bombproof, dont have to worry about it freezing and it pumps water like a faucet. Connects directly to my nalgene and reserve bladder.
Likewise, one of the best purchases i ever made

nrh6.7

WKR
I also bought the Guardian. Never have to worry about getting clogged since it backwashes itself with each pump. Freezing doesn't affect it and it will filter (purify) from a tiny puddle. Good for 10000 gallons. Carry tabs for backup.

Jauwater

WKR
I'm using the Katadyn Befree 3L Gravity filter. I really like it, for all the reasons posted above in an earlier post. Id recommend it.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Looks like I am in the minority but I use Aqua Mira to treat my water. No filter to carry that can freeze, break, needs cleaning etc. The taste is pretty minimal. I don’t use the full amount per bottle if the water source is clean. Been using this system for two years now and love it.

Ram94

WKR
Looks like I am in the minority but I use Aqua Mira to treat my water. No filter to carry that can freeze, break, needs cleaning etc. The taste is pretty minimal. I don’t use the full amount per bottle if the water source is clean. Been using this system for two years now and love it.

I was just about to say the same thing! Was wondering why so many people use a filter rather than tablets. In Alberta where I backpack hunt the water is very clear so I’ve had great results with tabs and they weigh nothing. But even if the water isn’t crystal clear, you can just drop an extra tablet in, close your eyes and start chugging.

I was just about to say the same thing! Was wondering why so many people use a filter rather than tablets. In Alberta where I backpack hunt the water is very clear so I’ve had great results with tabs and they weigh nothing. But even if the water isn’t crystal clear, you can just drop an extra tablet in, close your eyes and start chugging.

Glad I am not the only one! I don’t use the tabs I use the liquid. The bottles hold way too much - enough to last multiple years. I put mine into smaller bottles (enough to last a few weeks), and then I have a full water purification system that weighs just a few ounces and can fit in your pocket.

I've used a couple of MSR pumps...ok would be the best I could rate them. Alot of work filling and cleaning. I'm going the steripen direction this fall. If that doesn't work out I'll be moving on to a gravity flow system.

Glad I am not the only one! I don’t use the tabs I use the liquid. The bottles hold way too much - enough to last multiple years. I put mine into smaller bottles (enough to last a few weeks), and then I have a full water purification system that weighs just a few ounces and can fit in your pocket.
I'm an aqua mira guy too. Filters are heavy.

Jauwater

WKR
I carry some tablets with me in my Katadyn Befree kit just in case I'm pulling from a really sketchy water source. I'll treat the water before filtering. I cant remember the brand off top of my head. Got em at REI, Aquatab, maybe. But I dont recall noticing a difference in taste when I use them.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk