What weapon carrier do you use?

I am trying to find a good way to pack my rifle on my EXO 3500 that is comfortable and easily accessible. I like the EXO carrier but i will be running a bipod so the way out attaches to the forestock will not work. I also like the kifaru carrier but am afraid the bipod will again be the issue but in the way of blocking visual sight. Not real sure on that though. Stone glacier is similar to the EXO but with a quick detach so to speak from what i read without a good visual picture or description. What have you used and what do you like or dislike?

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to try to have the Stone Glacier carrier attaches to my Kifaru bag/frame. I need to take everything to David from Native Textiles. I have no doubt he can make it work. I have used the Kifaru one and just didn't care for it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the Kifaru gun bearer and the Stone Glacier rifle carrier quite a bit. I have found that neither works great for heavy rifles which is ok since they are really designed more for sporter/mountain rifles. Both of them have a tendency to rub either the rifle or the scope and can cause some damage if you're not really careful. Both have a quick release for the top strap that is essentially the same except the Kifaru is much easier to reach when it's in the forward carry position as you can imagine. The SG is still handy to release, but it's not nearly as fast since you have to hunt for the strap a little. Overall I like the Kifaru a little better because it can be attached to the side of my pack along with the waist belt.

What really works the best is the Rambler though. That is my favorite pack for rifle hunting.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is another option that works pretty well. Medium pocket to hold the butt and just use the compression straps for the forearm.

P1020400_zps35916810.jpg

Kinda hard to see exactly, but the Nomad also works well with the gun bearer. This is a great way to carry heavy/long rifles as long as you don't need to get them out really fast.

01Tarpshelter_zpsdab265b0.jpg

jm1607

WKR
You could run the Spartan Carbon bipod and keep it in your pocket? Just an outside the box thought if your really worried about your bipod getting in the way

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to find a good way to pack my rifle on my EXO 3500 that is comfortable and easily accessible. I like the EXO carrier but i will be running a bipod so the way out attaches to the forestock will not work. I also like the kifaru carrier but am afraid the bipod will again be the issue but in the way of blocking visual sight. Not real sure on that though. Stone glacier is similar to the EXO but with a quick detach so to speak from what i read without a good visual picture or description. What have you used and what do you like or dislike?

I have the EXO carrier but haven't used it. I was going to mount it center bottom on the back of the 3500 & use compression straps to hold the top. I am sure there are other variations that can be used too.

Can you share a pic of your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
huntinfool84
thanks for "most" of the replies. the gun is fairly long, 24" barrel with a 10" suppressor. I've been running it in the side pocket but it is so long i feel like i hit every branch i walk near.that is the main reason i was looking into those that drop the weapon down just a touch.

wyodan

WKR
Try the Gunslinger Corral. It will fit on the belt strap on the EXO. It was by far my favorite way to carry my rifle. I just haven't been able to figure out a good way to attach it to the newer Kifaru belt.

N2TRKYS

WKR
thanks for "most" of the replies. the gun is fairly long, 24" barrel with a 10" suppressor. I've been running it in the side pocket but it is so long i feel like i hit every branch i walk near.that is the main reason i was looking into those that drop the weapon down just a touch.

Sorry about that. 😃

I use a Mountain Rambler, and love it. The only disadvantage is that you can't sit down and take a break on a heavy pack out. I use a rifle with a folding chassis now, and keep it even with the bottom of the pack on heavy pack outs and on my dirt bike. In the future I want to build a light mountain rifle, and probably just take it apart on pack outs. Building a scabbard that will hook on between the bag and frame is really simple. Some 500D, a little webbing, very basic sewing skills, and half a drop of common sense are all that's required. It wouldn't add over a pound to the base pack weight either. It would function very similar to the Rambler, but be removable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't your reply at all, just the guy that usually posts non-constructive replies on a lot of threads.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

In all seriousness, I also use the gun bearer from Kifaru, and the quick release works great with a bipod. It does take a little getting used to the fact that the gun is right there in front of your face, but it ended up being a non-issue for me. My rifle isn't nearly as long as yours, but I also run my gunbearer all the way up as high as possible. You could drop it down to help with the height.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider

I actually think he had a good point. I have always wondered why people are tramping around the woods with their rifles attached to their packs. I am sure there are tons of animals that have gotten away due to people fumbling to get their rifle out of some kind of carrying system. I usually just carry my rifle in my hands and have killed more than a few animals that have jumped up close to me where I only had a split second to shoot.