What Weatherby Caliber?

PuckLuck

FNG
Through a really odd (but fortunate) series of events I’m more or less getting a free Weatherby gun.

The timing couldn’t have been better. I’ve finally started accumulating points in western states for Mule Deer and Elk.

I am uncertain which caliber to get. This rifle will be a gift from a very special person who insist I not keep it a safe queen so I want something I can take on mostly mulie hunts with the occasional elk thrown in.

For what it’s worth I’ve been looking at 270 WBY, 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 WBY RMP. All will bring down deer I just worry about their ability to drop elk at 300-400 yards.

Thought about stepping up to a 300 or 6.5-300 but it seemed like too much for Deer (which I figure will be most of my hunts)

Any thought about the Weatherby calibers I described above. Would really prefer to use this gun as a one stop solution, given the sentimental value it will have to me.

2five7

WKR
Tough to beat the .270 Wby for an all around gun. Only drawback is it will need the 9 lug action, which is one pound heavier than the 6 lug action you'll get with the 6.5 RPM.

I bought a Weathermark LT in 6.5 RPM last year, so you know which way is go. Main drawback is not a lot of options for factory ammo, although the 140 accubond load will easily kill Elk out past 400 yards.

OP
P

PuckLuck

FNG
Tough to beat the .270 Wby for an all around gun. Only drawback is it will need the 9 lug action, which is one pound heavier than the 6 lug action you'll get with the 6.5 RPM.

I bought a Weathermark LT in 6.5 RPM last year, so you know which way is go. Main drawback is not a lot of options for factory ammo, although the 140 accubond load will easily kill Elk out past 400 yards.
Lots of good information here. Thank you. I’m leaning towards the backcountry TI and given it’s already light weight I don’t think I’d mind the extra weight of the 270.

Ammo prices aren’t too concerning for me.

Since you seem to have experience with both calibers what are your thoughts re recoil, shooting trajectory, etc.?

And this may be allotted one stupid question a day - but I do a lot of solo trips in backcountry that had brown bears (try to avoid Grizzly area if going solo) - would either of these calibers be considered good
Black bear defense? Have they feeling they may work but not until the bear has eaten my face off.

Forest

WKR
One stop solution screams 300 to me. Most definitely throws out the creedmoor and the rpm is a decent option but would not be my choice for elk. The 300 is not too much for deer. I'd much prefer having the extra when needed, you'll never have to worry about having enough when you draw that elk tag.
The 270 is a pretty good option. And one of the more common ones so ammo would be slightly easier to come by. Still gotta keep elk ranges within reason tho

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Here is my 0.02 for what its worth. I have had 3 weatherbys. 300 wby and 2 - 257 wby. I grow tired of buying weatherby ammo at their prices. If I was buying a backcountry Ti 6.5 creed would be my first choice. With elk on the menu one day you would be hard pressed to talk me out of a 280. And the 280 is twisted correctly to load up heavy bullets at 1:9.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 300 wby DGR and really like it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Lots of good information here. Thank you. I’m leaning towards the backcountry TI and given it’s already light weight I don’t think I’d mind the extra weight of the 270.

Since you seem to have experience with both calibers what are your thoughts re recoil, shooting trajectory, etc.?

And this may be allotted one stupid question a day - but I do a lot of solo trips in backcountry that had brown bears (try to avoid Grizzly area if going solo) - would either of these calibers be considered good
Black bear defense? Have they feeling they may work but not until the bear has eaten my face off.
At your intended range the 270wby will be marginally flatter shooting than the 6.5 rpm- not enough for any relevance. Both are potent ungulate undertakers
I have both and the rpm is quickly moving up to my favorite rifle(weathermark lt) silly accurate, easy to load , great to carry

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
Congrats!

I won a Weatherby Backcountry rifle in Wounded Heroes Hunting Camp raffle...

I narrowed my selection down to 6CM, 280AI, or 270 Wby (I already had a Backcountry 6.5 RPM).

With the 280AI or 270 Wby, you can comfortably take elk, moose, bear in North America. (Many will argue that the 6CM, 6.5CM and 6.5 RPM will fill the bill as well). No doubt the 6.5-300 will fill your freezer.

If the 280AI had been an 8 twist barrel, I would have gone that route. As it is, their 9 twist will handle most of the common heavy bullets (I want an 8 twist for the heavier Hammer bullets). I selected the 6CM to cover all my Texas hunting.

The jury is still out on my 6.5RPM for elk this year...I'm in middle of load development with 124 Hammer Hunter. I have the 124 HH running at 3230 FPS with no pressure signs. Next is accuracy testing.

I have a number rifles including several Weatherbys, for the last 40 years I seem to rely on the 270 WM. It has done everything that I have needed, from Elk, Caribou, Moose, Mule deer and Whitetail.

I'd skip the 6.5s and go 280ai with 175 eldx

The only weatherby cartridge that intrigues me is 6.5RPM, otherwise I see no reason to choose a weatherby chambering. IMO you aren't going to enjoy shooting a lightweight 300 mag. Yes, it's nice for elk but it sounds like you want to use it for more than that. If you must use this rifle for everything 280ai or 7RM would be my choice if they chamber in those. That or i'd go 6.5 creed or 6.5RPM and use something else for elk if you want more juice.

I also wouldn't get a titanium action. Bolt lift on the weatherbys i've fondled is already stiff and your chances of your bolt manipulation being stickier are greater with a titanium action. Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.. Maybe a few ounces lighter but it aint worth it IMO.

amassi

WKR
The only weatherby cartridge that intrigues me is 6.5RPM, otherwise I see no reason to choose a weatherby chambering. IMO you aren't going to enjoy shooting a lightweight 300 mag. Yes, it's nice for elk but it sounds like you want to use it for more than that. If you must use this rifle for everything 280ai or 7RM would be my choice if they chamber in those. That or i'd go 6.5 creed or 6.5RPM and use something else for elk if you want more juice.

I also wouldn't get a titanium action. Bolt lift on the weatherbys i've fondled is already stiff, your chances of your bolt manipulation being stickier are that much greater with a titanium action. Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.. Maybe a few ounces lighter but it aint worth it IMO.
The new bolts are cerakoted and really smooth out with a little use

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've killed everything from antelope to moose with my 300 Wby. You can't kill anything too dead, so I wouldn't worry about taking that on all your hunts. Especially if you intend on hunting elk in the future.

MT257

WKR
I'm a 257 wby fan. I wouldn't think twice about the 270wby option it will do everything you'll ask it to do. Your getting a weatherby in my opinion get a wby caliber. Scrape the creed option. I hope you reload initially getting wby brass and ammo can be spendy but once you've gotten the brass ammo is rather cheap to reload.