What week?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm planning an unguided fly in bring our own gear caribou hunt for 2022. I have been reading up on flight services and it sound like BRA I'd a good outfit to fly with. I have two questions. What week should we hunt? How heavily dependent is the migration on this hunt. Unit 26a or 23. I see lots of guys with nice bulls in velvet. Is there an adventure going early or late. Also I was considering if it was a later hunt taking a tip and stove. Wonderd how that set up worked for guys who have actually been there. I did read where the winds could be real nasty. I didn't know if a tip that tall would be a problem in 60 plus winds and tundra or rock bar for anchoring a tent. So that was like ten question and I'm sure I have more. Thanks and feel free to dm me.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Also do you guys pack salt for your capes. I'm mounting my Canada moose right now and dealing with hide slip problems crossing my finger he dries and it stops. I made a few mistakes on his cape. In the field and at home. It a long story but what do you do in the field for trophy care. I was thinking about splitting and salting in the field. Like take a Gatorade bottle of salt and a camping knife. Also considered a bottle of stop rot for filled preservative. I'm not a professional taxidermist. Only do my own stuff now. I know just enough to be dangerous and get my self in trouble.

Your questions should be based upon what unit/herd you plan on hunting. Unit 26-Month slope is a pre migration hunt and is mostly velvet and done in Aug. Unit 25, 23, 24 13 and most others are south side of the Brooks and are considered mostly hard horn hunts thus late Aug and September. On top of all that you really need to break that down to what unit you plan to hunt. For unit 23 we like our clients to hunt after Sept. 8th to the end of the month. The migration north to south gets better, more concentrated after Sept 12th and really hops as the wether gets crappy. Just like elk the animals tent to move when the weather tells them to move.

My advise is to decide what unit/herd you want to hunt and then look at what 10 period you have to hunt.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions I can help with. My area of expertise is south slope of the brooks.

Walt

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
We went with BRA in 2019 in early August.
Took a tipi and had concerns about ripping wind but the tipi was solid. There were plenty of rocks around to peg the stakes down. Definitely wouldn’t be worth taking a stove. There was no wood larger than a pencil anywhere we hiked around.

I also Seem to remember that BRA won’t fly salt, but that may be wrong. They definitely don’t allow it in the hanger.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We went with BRA in 2019 in early August.
Took a tipi and had concerns about ripping wind but the tipi was solid. There were plenty of rocks around to peg the stakes down. Definitely wouldn’t be worth taking a stove. There was no wood larger than a pencil anywhere we hiked around.

I also Seem to remember that BRA won’t fly salt, but that may be wrong. They definitely don’t allow it in the hanger.
Makes sense. Salt is hard on boats and planes

Salt: Don't bother.. Its super heavy and really salting that cape can hold till you get home so u can do right..

Tents: Take a tent that is comparable to the Cabelas Guide tents and don't go larger than the 6 man version. The 8 man tent is TALL and acts like a sail and you will see wet windy weather. The 6 man is perfect for 3 guys and cots or 4 guys and pads but that it. Way too much wet gear so taking a second tent just for wet gear is a good idea and having a place to stick your buddies who snores like me is an added +++. Leave the wood stoves at home. Most of the places we put groups have very limited wood options, mostly willow and alder.

Walt

Attachments

• IMG_8552.JPG
    IMG_8552.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 12
I was thinking about two four man dome style tents if we have 4 guys
Just make sure you have room to hang up wet clothing...Hunting in NW Alaska tents to have wet attached to it! As far as tents go don't waste your time with low budget tents...really. I have been pinned down for days before and if I had not had a high quality tent it would have been .....$hitty! Too many guys contact me after their hunts and tell me horror stories of 2 days stuck in one of my tents and are soo happy we use Cabela's Guide tents...They take a beating and keep on standing!