What Western State Offers Resident Hunters The Best Yearly Big Game Opportunities

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Outside of Alaska, which western states allow the best opportunity to hunt big game each year in quality areas without waiting years for limited tags? I am now more of a meat and experience hunter.
I have found myself hitting retirement age and semi retirement but don’t want to entirely stop working and my work allows me to work in most of the western states CO,WY,UT,MT,NV, and ID.
If I were younger I would consider resident living in Alaska for the Dall Sheep and Moose hunting available without having to hunt with a licensed guide. My DIY days are over in wilderness areas.
I have had a pretty active big game career and loved sheep hunting and other game in the Yukon, BC and the NWT. Maybe have one or two of those hunts left in me. I enjoy game meat.
What I am searching for is a state where I can live and continue my hunting career into my retirement years and get a yearly resident bull elk tag (doesn’t need to be a trophy area) in a area where if I spend the time I would have success. Another plus would be antelope, whitetail, mule deer, waterfowl and walleye fishing.
I have lived in MT in my younger years, have lived in Colorado three different times, but the past 20 years I have been living primarily in the mid south , NV and AZ . I have been primarily hunting quail , waterfowl and whitetails along with a occasional elk and mule deer hunt. I have not kept up with the different resident state regulations. I have lived at 9500 ft elevation and experienced WY winds and winter , so I understand the western states.
What western states would allow the best resident opportunities for a retired person to hunt elk annually along with other big game opportunities?
Please feel free to send a PM if you want to share private info .
MtnW

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Tx

Great hunting for hogs, exotics, and the gulf for great fishing.

Just go, no need to wait on lottery tags.

William,
Thanks for your reply.
Texas is a pretty good option. I lived in TX for a year and a half and had a chance to hunt on some leases with friends. We enjoyed some great turkey hunting, lots of hogs , quail and pretty good white tails. Also had some good red snapper fishing in the gulf. Joining a lease is a really nice option about TX.
My daughter just graduated from college and started her career in TX also.
I am wanting to enjoy a area where I can be active during the summer months, avoiding the hot summers of NV, AZ, and possibly TX, along with my main focus of hunting elk each fall.
It’s possible I may spend 7 months in one of the western elk states as a resident and winter in TX, NV, or AZ.

204guy

WKR
The problem with WY is every single elk lives in a wilderness area, or at least all the bulls, that's what I hear anyways. And the OP said his wilderness area hunting days are behind him. And you'd think antelope tags would be easy to get but more than 50% of tags go to nr. 75%-90% in some units. Otherwise sounds like he's got a good handle on the shitty weather and ridiculous cost of living.

The problem with WY is every single elk lives in a wilderness area, or at least all the bulls, that's what I hear anyways. And the OP said his wilderness area hunting days are behind him. And you'd think antelope tags would be easy to get but more than 50% of tags go to nr. 75%-90% in some units. Otherwise sounds like he's got a good handle on the shitty weather and ridiculous cost of living.

I heard internet hasn't gotten there yet either. Makes it hard to work from home.

It's the West Va/Alabama of the west.

B03B5EF3-BA00-40E6-B6E1-0B65E84D1963.jpeg

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
To actually address the OP's question, I'd say MT and WY offer residents the best opportunity. You can buy quality tags OTC if you don't get lucky and draw the really awesome tags. Here in WY, I appreciate that I can almost plan on filling my freezer each year with meat (which usually means settling with a cow or small bull elk, and maybe getting an extra doe deer or antelope tag). Granted you have to find the right place in WY where you can stand being (grizzly country or not, wind levels, and access to amenities vs. competition in the hills)

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
No mentally sound hunter would move to California on purpose, for hunting. But they got lots o pigs!

With what game we have, we have excellent seasons and takes. Deer season from Aug. 15 - Jan. 1, and no limitations on weapons to use. Six week turkey season. Unlimited fox, beaver, Bobcat, Otter, Mink, Muskrat, Skunk, Weasel. Quail, dove, hogs, turkey, some bear; we have fewer things to hunt that out West, but decent opportunity to hunt them. All but alligator are OTC.