What/where to hunt

blb078

WKR
Kind of have a small delima. I have 8 points saved up for Deer and Elk in AZ, CO, WY, 7 points in UT, and 2 bonus/2 preference in MT. I never really had a plan when I started buying points other than I wanted to hunting something like unit 100 in WY which was a long shot back when I started buying points and probably even longer now. I haven't done a lot of hunting the last few years due to starting a business, family, etc. This year I'd like to do two hunts(one deer, one elk).

However I have no idea where to even start and what state to start in as I haven't been keeping up with a lot of things the last couple years other than just going to SD for archery hunts and a quick lope hunt in WY 2 years ago. I have gohunt and onx subs and have had them for the last few years w/o using them much. I know my points kind of put me in no mans land being not enough for really premiums hunts and too many for the easy to get units. I'm looking more for quantity/opportunity over quality. Any recommendations??? I don't have to hunt elk and deer in the same hunt or even the same state just looking to do decent hunts this year.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Some great mule deer units in CO and WY that take less than 8, a lot of times those 4 point units get ignored because people have grand visions of hunting the harder to draw units, news flash point creep is going to make it tough to ever draw them, may as well shoot a dang good buck in a "lesser" unit and hunt more often.
Montana is a tough one, their controlled hunts are on the bonus point system so there's a chance you can draw a premium hunt on your first try. I have a draw strategy/theory for MT that I won't get into but you can PM me and I'll try to make it make sense for you, it works out in my feeble mind.
AZ, UT I don't have any personal knowledge to drop so I won't try to

Jaker_cc

WKR
You can have some great deer hunts with your points, and a heck of an archery elk hunt in Colorado with your points. Another year or so and you could draw the tag I’m waiting to pull in Wyoming for elk too.

You’re in a good spot, keep buying points in az as you’re close to a good elk tag there too.

Dcrafton

WKR
Just remember, a lot of us have friends/family we like to hunt with. If you do as well and put in together but your points don’t match it could end up hurting you. Colorado is one, they take the lowest point in the group.
Just keep things like that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I'd start with the lowest points first, learn some thing.
This...

How much have you hunted and how confident and comfortable are you doing the hunts?

I've had a few friends that got drawn for dream tags and squandered them because they were so out of practice. They would have been better served by hunting regularly, maintaining their skills and boosting their confidence in the woods.

If you think your good to go, start low, go high.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Easiest option is to get a MT combo, try for LE, but if unsuccessful, still hunt there on the general tag. You'll use the preference points, and gain another bonus, or draw LE if your lucky. The deer/elk tags are good in archery or general season, and you can hunt for early Sept through Thanksgiving with only a one week break in between archery and rifle. It's easy to go a twofer in one hunt (I wouldn't suggest it, though) or split it and hunt elk early then deer late to hit both ruts.

Beyond that, you need to plug your points into gohunt for each state and see if what you can draw appeals to you. You have enough to pull some good tags in CO and WY, certainly for elk, and in CO for deer.

Are your UT points for general deer, or only LE?

Jeremy

Fitzwho

WKR
You can draw any Utah General Deer tag in the state with 5 points. I know because I'm in the same boat, and its already looking like I won't have time to make it over there this year either.

Mule Deer: I'd burn my Utah General or Wyoming deer points this year and look for a 4th rifle mule deer hunt in Colorado in 2022 along with UT Gen or WY deer (whichever you don't do this year), then sneak something out of AZ in 2023. Utah LE thereafter.

Elk: Colorado this year, AZ next if you like late seasons (tough drought ongoing at the moment). Then Wyoming, and keep your fingers crossed for pulling something out of your hat in Utah.

Be careful with those MT combo preference points, they expire after year 3 if you don't use them. Even if you bought one the year prior. So if you buy another preference point this year, you have to apply for the combo tag in 2022 or you lose those points altogether.

DanimalW

WKR
Maybe a Colorado muzzleloader hunt this year? Should be able to get a decent unit for that at a great time of year to hunt elk. Most people I know with more points than you keep complaining that they never get any closer to getting the tags they really want.

OP
B

blb078

WKR
Maybe a Colorado muzzleloader hunt this year? Should be able to get a decent unit for that at a great time of year to hunt elk. Most people I know with more points than you keep complaining that they never get any closer to getting the tags they really want.
I was actually thinking of maybe applying to one of the CO ml hunts.