What will Meateater buy next??

sneaky

"DADDY"
wait wut? Meateater bought First Lite? wow.. i don't follow who owns what..

faack..Rinella is rich as hell? well done dude! well done
Rinella isn't the one with the money making these deals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
My money is on a digital acquisition to diversify the portfolio - OnX or BaseMap. OnX is MT based so that would also make sense. Something relatively established and safe.

Yep. So many different things they could do with location data, or even where people aren't going.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Same here and yeah sometimes I do cringe when it’s camo because when you think you have to wear your cool new dry earth first lite jacket or camo jacket out on the town to show how hardcore backcountry, steep and deep hunter and angler you are it rubs me a the man bun, Instagram crowd.

if it’s your thing more power to ya, my momma always said if you have to draw attention to yourself your just making up for the lack of something else.

Well, i got a sweet deal on a Sitka Jetstream jacket in moss that works just as well to run errands around town in fall/spring as it does in the backcountry on hunts. I also wear that jacket trout and steelhead fishing. I think it’s more foolish to spend 200-300 on a jacket you never wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlh42581

WKR
Had to laugh when they came out with Phelps/Meateater signature calls. A lot of good turkey callers out there but Rinella and his staff aren't any of them.

Gonna go out on a limb (see what i did there) and say they bought Phelps for elk calls and it was part of the deal. Why not slap the name on it at that point. Youd be a fool not too.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Rinella isn't the one with the money making these deals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Correct. 50m of Chernin investment gives one a certain flexibility. Wonder what then the terms were on that.

all good things come to an end, and all good investors know this. I wonder what Chernin sees as the end game...

slowelk

WKR
My money is on a digital acquisition to diversify the portfolio - OnX or BaseMap. OnX is MT based so that would also make sense. Something relatively established and safe.

I don't think they have capital or appetite to buy out OnX anytime soon. First Lite was a larger acquisition compared to FHF and Phelps, but all of them are relatively small operations compared to OnX.

I’m thinking The Hunting Public. He’s already shown an interest in buying up competing outdoor media, that would give him access to a younger and different (less high end) customer base, and they are likely very affordable at this point.

Plus they can run a turkey call.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I don't think they have capital or appetite to buy out OnX anytime soon. First Lite was a larger acquisition compared to FHF and Phelps, but all of them are relatively small operations compared to OnX.

how big is OnX? The Chernin deal was like 50 million.

slowelk

WKR
how big is OnX? The Chernin deal was like 50 million.

Hard to say exactly, but within the past couple of years they have taken on around $20M in VC for expansion, and they just launched Backcountry, and OffRoad is taking off and beating expectations. With that VC they don't need Chernin's money to accomplish their goals.

Acquisition is a two-way street, and I don't believe OnX wants or needs (cash) to be acquired. They see their Backcountry app as their meal ticket for the next few years.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Hard to say exactly, but within the past couple of years they have taken on around $20M in VC for expansion, and they just launched Backcountry, and OffRoad is taking off and beating expectations. With that VC they don't need Chernin's money to accomplish their goals.

Acquisition is a two-way street, and I don't believe OnX wants or needs (cash) to be acquired. They see their Backcountry app as their meal ticket for the next few years.

Bigger than I thought. Word.

BXB77

FNG
I bought a pair of KUIU zip offs back in 2014. The SG baselayers pants have a a zipper but aren’t actually zipoff. I am shocked that non hunting outdoor brands haven’t picked up on this design. Backcountry ski partners ask me about my zip offs every time I use them.

As far as vented zippers on pants, dozens of brands use these designs including OR, BD, etc. the idea that it is a “rip off” is laughable as it’s a non patented design and SG is probably the most recent brand addition to use this design.

I guess I’m not that in tune to the hunting cloths industry. However I did pick up the new first lite pants with hip zips. They are really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking The Hunting Public. He’s already shown an interest in buying up competing outdoor media, that would give him access to a younger and different (less high end) customer base, and they are likely very affordable at this point.

I was standing next to Warb when Rinella called him about two years ago when he scouted some property with me and some guys. They have been talking to them for a while- Janis did that turkey hunt with them this spring and they probably will do a deer hunt this fall. THP is probably the biggest/fastest growing YT hunting group out there , that said i cant see those guys getting pulled under the Meateater umbrells. You think Ted and Jake will go from wearing thift store camo to wearing $1500 worth of First Lite?! It would kill so much of the charm of the guys

MThuntr

WKR
I was standing next to Warb when Rinella called him about two years ago when he scouted some property with me and some guys. They have been talking to them for a while- Janis did that turkey hunt with them this spring and they probably will do a deer hunt this fall. THP is probably the biggest/fastest growing YT hunting group out there , that said i cant see those guys getting pulled under the Meateater umbrells. You think Ted and Jake will go from wearing thift store camo to wearing $1500 worth of First Lite?! It would kill so much of the charm of the guys
I do like watching their videos...some of the appeal is the old school mossy oak and that shitty shotgun that doesn't always go bang.

Who knows what will happen in the end but I wager they can hold their own as long as youtube doesn't demonetize their videos.

BDRam16

WKR

I think they would go after Born and Raised Outdoors first. They’re all already FL ambassadors and it would make sense since they run a online shop selling more than logo tees like THP. The production quality is also much higher with BRO at this point IMO.

It also then gets them in the door with EXO Mtn Gear since they’re all buddies. FL might join the pack game like Sitka and Kuiu then.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I think they would go after Born and Raised Outdoors first. They’re all already FL ambassadors and it would make sense since they run a online shop selling more than logo tees like THP. The production quality is also much higher with BRO at this point IMO.

It also then gets them in the door with EXO Mtn Gear since they’re all buddies. FL might join the pack game like Sitka and Kuiu then.
Not to derail this to bad, but THP has arguably the best production values of any YT show out there. Greg(as well as others) are skilled with the camera and in post.

I would agree that it would see to make sense to acquire HUSH or BRO first since they are already in the FL fam