What windproof Jacket?

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at input for a windproof jacket for glassing. Glassing from September-November. I currently use my thin rain jacket but when it gets cold it gets real stiff and loud. Looking for windproof as well as waterproof. I have all the layers and puffy for the temperature range. Looking at the Kutana storm shell, maybe the guide dcs or axis jacket even though they are not 100% waterproof. Not looking at KUIU as the main company but have wanted to try their stuff for awhile. So what have you guys been using?

Thanks, John

Moserkr

WKR
Curious as well. So far the only kuiu jackets ive tried that break the wind and are waterproof are their rain jackets. I got rid of the guide dcs jacket as it didnt break the wind, was not built to be waterproof, and weighed a lot - their most overrated jacket. I have the kutana 3defx and its a good early to mid season jacket but breaths well and like the guide dcs, only water resistant. I use the chugach rain set for wet weather, and it blocks wind well too. Kutana rain set would be good too, my buddy runs it with a strongfleece mid underneath. Cant say anything about other brands which is why im curious. Kuiu is still young and refining their products.

WCB

WKR
quieter rain gear? I have some KUIU Chugach and I've used it to break the wind down into the single digits no issues with noise doesn't get crunchy. I run fleece underneath with a puffy vest when glassing.

Any wind breaking shirt or jacket for me is too hot when moving or bulky.

wildcat33

WKR
Chugach is what I use. Sized up to fit over a puffy. Its a good jacket..... but, Im really not that impressed with Kuiu quality for the price compared to the "rei brands" like mountain hardware, Arc Teryx, NF, etc.

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
quieter rain gear? I have some KUIU Chugach and I've used it to break the wind down into the single digits no issues with noise doesn't get crunchy. I run fleece underneath with a puffy vest when glassing.

Any wind breaking shirt or jacket for me is too hot when moving or bulky.
Yeah WCBquieter then what I have right now. Its like more of a single layer plastic rain jacket so when it gets into the teens and single digits it almost seems like its brittle and loud if you know what I mean

Thanks for the replies so far!!!

Reactions: WCB

TBHasler

WKR
Jetstream by Sitka is the best wind blocking jacket I’ve come across. Not fully waterproof but unbelievable wind protection and good warmth as well. Much quieter than waterproof shells.

Jetstream by Sitka is the best wind blocking jacket I’ve come across. Not fully waterproof but unbelievable wind protection and good warmth as well. Much quieter than waterproof shells.
^^^^^^This^^^^^

If you want very quiet and total waterproofness, Sitka Thunderhead; however the outer fabric does wetout and subsequently gain weight.

TBHasler

WKR
Yep - had the thunderhead for a year or so but it has no venting capabilities other than unzipping main chest zipper. No pit zips
It’s a great late season option but I wouldn’t want to be active in it, ever. Is quiet as well

Erictski

FNG
Pnuma 3L rain jacket that I just bought is the quietest waterproof jacket I have ever had. I don’t yet know how it will be when it’s cold but it is quiet in the house.

Sitka Jetstream when I need a wind proof soft shell jacket. Windproof, water resistant, and huge pit zips for venting heat and temp control. Been perfect so far.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Jetstream. I wear mine 90% of the time that I'm in the woods.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw