What workout program to do before a hunt specific workout

I found out yesterday there's a chance I may go out 2nd rifle season. I haven't been doing much of any working out lately. I have the Atomic Athlete Ultimate Predator program that I will start towards the end of July. So my question is, what is the best program for to do from now until then? I'm about 6'2" 175lbs. Roughly 25% body fat. I have dumbbells from 5-35lbs. I have p90x, x2, and x3 dvds. I wasn't planning to go hunting until next year. So I need a program that I will get the most out of, whether it be one of the X's or something totally different. What would you guys recommend?

cotuja

FNG
Mtn Ops has some free workout programs you can scale to your ability level. I started doing the Elk Fit back in January and it's been pretty good.

P Carter

WKR
Build aerobic base—walk (or “hike” or “ruck,” pick you term), run, or both 3-5x per week and do a basic strength workout 2-3x a week. Then you’ll have a solid base to add the “hunting specific” stuff afterwards. IMO.

I found out yesterday there's a chance I may go out 2nd rifle season. I haven't been doing much of any working out lately. I have the Atomic Athlete Ultimate Predator program that I will start towards the end of July. So my question is, what is the best program for to do from now until then? I'm about 6'2" 175lbs. Roughly 25% body fat. I have dumbbells from 5-35lbs. I have p90x, x2, and x3 dvds. I wasn't planning to go hunting until next year. So I need a program that I will get the most out of, whether it be one of the X's or something totally different. What would you guys recommend?
Your strength won't always be needed to "curl" something or perform a "bench press" motion, but no matter where you go or what you do, especially in the wilderness, your body is always with you. I'd recommend getting calisthenically fit. Chinups, pushups, handstand pushups, etc. Some guys claim that their body weight isn't enough "resistance". I say, "then do it with one hand".
Same principle applies to the legs with squats. Also, squatting on one leg at a time will strengthen your ankles.

OP
R
Your strength won't always be needed to "curl" something or perform a "bench press" motion, but no matter where you go or what you do, especially in the wilderness, your body is always with you. I'd recommend getting calisthenically fit. Chinups, pushups, handstand pushups, etc. Some guys claim that their body weight isn't enough "resistance". I say, "then do it with one hand".
Same principle applies to the legs with squats. Also, squatting on one leg at a time will strengthen your ankles.
Handstand pushups...🤣 yeah no way I could do that. Lol

A wise man once told me…
If you want to be in shape for your sheep hunt, go on one the week before.

Nothing preps you more for being out there than actually being out there. For us financial mortals, mimic what you’d do out in the field as much as you can before the hunt.

* You have to climb up and down mountains.
* You have to climber over and crawl under stuff.
* You have to carry a variable amount of stuff on your back; weight and volume.
* You have to have an acceptable level of body strength to manhandle stuff.
* You have to deal with an elevated heart rate and shortness of breath.
* You have to have an acceptable level of balance.
* You have to do all of this with a calorie deficit.

I always tell my hunting clients that the three very best exercise regimens they can do in preparation for serious mountain hunting, are a combination of yoga, swimming and bicycle riding. This is especially so for hunters who are over the age of forty.

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
Above is very true. The best what is always going to be most helpful, is to find something that gets you sweating, and moving "consistently" every week. Best of luck!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
start hiking..... a lot

it's not an overly complicated "program", but it works- even comes with a money back guarantee :D

Go check out WOD forum
You’ll get an idea of how different and similar the workouts are among western hunters
Lots of different compound and isolation movements. Each are specific to building overall strength as well as muscle specific strength while integrating aerobic activity to increase lung capacity like mtwarden mentioned.

Get after it.

WPT

FNG
Like one other said..build a strong aerobic base with proper heart rate zone training. Focus on shoulder girdle and pelvic girdle strengthening initially to get a good strength base.

I’m a physical therapist and would love to answer any further questions you may have!

MKern85

Lil-Rokslider
All good training ideas, but if you want to get in better shape diet is key. You can workout all you want but if don't get your diet right it won't do much. If you can loose 5-10% body fat that will go a long ways in your fitness goals. What you put into your body will help you recover quicker and burn fat and build muscle more efficiently.

mag25x

FNG
So many functional strength exercises out there, a quick google search will help you find something you can relate to. If i had to pick 1 exercise to cover alot of bases it would be burpees…. And alot of them.