What would you buy with $200 at FL

I helped a buddy out on a project the other day and he got me a First Lite Gift card for $200 and so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best thing to spend it on. My current set up is a FL Fuse top base layer, a cheap set of bottom thermals, Eddie Bauer or Duluth Trading Co pants, a Patagonia Down Sweater, a lightweight marmot rain jacket and a pretty good set of gloves for various temps.

I rifle hunt deer in western Colorado with short hikes, backpack rifle hunt Colorado Elk in the high country, pheasants in Nebraska, and am trying to get into antelope eventually.

I'm not tied to FL and would like to build out my hunting clothing slowly (fix the worse issues first) and would like to get the "best in class" as much as I can so if a certain item is better from Sitka/Kuiu/Kryptek/etc then I might as well get something else from FL this time around. I'm also fine with adding some cash to get something more than $200 if necessary.

Things that have caught my eye thus far are the Brooks Down sweater to replace my current Patagonia which is way too baggy to layer nicely and the FL Brooks adds better wicking and DWR coated down. A pair of more rugged hunting pants, maybe the Sawbuck or Corrugate. A softshell of some type (I don't currently have any softshells)? More base layers - those zip-off boot cut bottoms look pretty great.

What would you pick up if you had to pick the thing FL does best?

Wapiti16

FNG
Most of my clothing kit is First Lite merino baselayers with Sitka outer layers/insulation/shells, with a few various pieces from other companies thrown in.

One piece I really like from First Lite that doesn't really have a comparable product in another company is the Sawtooth Jacket and Sawtooth Vest. It's a heavy merino hoody/vest with light synthetic insulation in the body. I really like it for hunting out west or hunting whitetails here at home. It's super comfortable and dead quiet. Just the right weight to hike in on a cold morning without getting drenched in sweat.

AND lucky for you, the jacket is exactly $200 🤠

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Sawtooth jacket or corrugate pants. The brooks won't do much that your current down won't, but the sawtooth can be an everyday piece that will layer well under your current down.

ChrisAU

WKR
Wait for a pair of zip off bottoms for sure. They are so awesome on extended hunts.

The Talus fingerless Merino gloves are pure awesomeness as well, and cheap.

OP
C
Wait for a pair of zip off bottoms for sure. They are so awesome on extended hunts.

The zip offs are pretty amazing - leave them off for the pack in - put them on for glassing - take them back off for the packout. What a game changer.

One piece I really like from First Lite that doesn't really have a comparable product in another company is the Sawtooth Jacket and Sawtooth Vest.

I hadn't considered this one but I like the idea of a vest a bunch. I have a nice Arcteyrx softshell jacket that looks a lot like the Sawtooth jacket and it's my go to during the winter around town - but it's bright blue.... So the vest might be just the thing.

The Talus fingerless Merino gloves are pure awesomeness as well, and cheap.

I'll second these items. I also like the tag cuff beanie.

I would focus on FL baselayers. You have a fuse top, so I would suggest upgrading your bottoms and maybe add a Wick top as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hondo

WKR
Based on your gear list it seems that you might benefit the most from the Zip off bottoms. They are on my want list. After that the Sawtooth Vest, Wick QZ, Talus gloves and Merino Beanie mentioned are all great items to have.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
They had a sale going if you spend 150, get $35 off, maybe stretch that gift card a little farther. I love my corrugate pants, I wear them on most hunts. Also get a lot of use out of the wick hoodie. As accessories, I like the gator or face mask

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Kiln hoody, sawtooth, fingerless gloves are 3 of my favorites. I love all of their merino bases light medium and heavy

j33

WKR
I only have an uncompadre vest and Kiln hoody from first kite. Kiln is way too heavy for the amount of warmth, comfy around the house and running errands but there are other brands synthetics out there. I like the uncompadre though. I’ve heard good stuff about sawtooth jacket but I’m avoiding wool as they just don’t stack up to synthetics for keeping me dry and warm.

gchs4464

FNG
I have the kiln and like it although I wear the Klamath for elk hunting. But I’m not sure I’d buy it again. Gander outdoor has the guide series and it’s on a killer sale. I bought everything they had in my size and they have a hoodie that pretty comparable. The build isn’t as good as the Klamath but normally it’s 80 right now it’s on sale for 28. Considering the price if I didn’t already have the Klamath it’s what I would be using. I’d stick with merino with first lite. Although I would like to try the guide lights eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would focus on FL baselayers. You have a fuse top, so I would suggest upgrading your bottoms and maybe add a Wick top as well.

Good merino socks too! All the baselayer clothing is the most important to me. I think baselayer bottoms, Wick QZ, and a pair of socks will spend your gift card. LOL

OP
C
Bah, I was all set with the sawtooth vest, wick crew shirt, and the brimmed beanie when I discovered the $35 off doesn't work with a previously used email (no biggie) or a gift card (sticking point).... Oh well, I'm in no hurry I'll see what comes up on sale next....