What would you change or do different after the 2012 Elk Season?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
After success in Idaho on my two tags, I went to Montana with high hopes, relying on past experience in my Montana area for the last 10 yrs. Unfortunately, I quickly learned the first week on rifle season that there was a pack of wolves running the area, which had things all messed up. I will need to have a few backup locations in Montana like I do in Idaho for the coming season. So I will be focusing on further scouting in Montana to broaden my opportunities for the upcoming season.

Swede

WKR
I don't have plans to change anything, but I always plan to be flexible and ready to switch if conditions dictate.

I would actually use my tag. :) Bought one and didn't take the time to use it. I knew I would be short on time this year but not getting out at all really hurts. So better schedule planning and a few priority shifts are in order for next season.

bbrown

WKR
I should have figured out another elk tag - after turning in my archery deer tag and killing my bull on the first day. I got to hunt for a grand total of 1 day for myself this year. I know I'm being greedy but....

ElkNut1

WKR
Ross, I hear ya. Here in Idaho wolves can be an issue throughout the season & we too play dodge ball with them, having backup areas is critical & rewarding, good luck in MT.

As far as doing something a bit different for 2013, I'd say I want to be in a bit better shape, elk hunting is a great motivator for me so it will be enjoyable. (grin) I packed 4 bulls out last year & I really started feeling a couple of them after hours of packing, I seriously believe with just a bit more cardio training I would have done better, it's a personal thing for me, I sure hate getting older because it means you have to work harder at it as opposed as to when I was younger. (grin) Hey, but life's a challenge. Good Luck in your search for backup areas.

ElkNut1

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Drop 20 lbs. and be in better Cardio condition. I this coming season I will have just turned 51. Unfortunately for me, I just started to bow/Elk hunt this last year. I need to make the next 10-12 years count! No room for being out of shape. The other thing I am going to do is make sure I have as much time as possible set aside for my hunt. When I am old and feeble, I am not going to remember that week at work, but I remember every hunt.

MT_Nate

FNG
I was willing to play the decreased odds a bit and I spent a good portion of this year looking for new spots during the rut. I walked into areas I'd never been to before, applying the NW Montana formula for elevation, vegetation, and topography to unknown places. All the walking this year seemed to be a waste, even if I found sign...it seemed I should have been hunting known areas...

As Ross found out as well, many of my honey holes in MT were rattled by wolf traffic. My family expects me to be gone in September, but not any of the months prior, so scouting is unfortunately limited during the hunting season....but fresh sign is fresh sign. I'm not sure if it was altogether the best tactic, as I found all of the spots slightly post-rut (early October) and ate tag soup this year, but MAN did I find no less than 10 new elk spots close to home, rubbed-to-death and trampled like an elk barnyard with limited to zero wolf sign. I'm thinking the boot-leather I put on the ground in 2012 will make 2013 be a year to remember. We'll find out.

sk1

WKR
Be more mobile....not being able to pick up and move easily kept camp from moving. The elk moved and I had to hike so much unnecessary ground, in the end the extra effort to move camp would have been worth it compared to all the extra hiking I did. This year I'm gearing up to stay more mobile so when it comes time to move camp even if its every day, I won't hesitate