What would you choose?

bjones926

Lil-Rokslider
Scenario: you are in the market for your first (and preferably only) pack. Pack will be used for western hunts (mainly deer with hopes of elk one day) 4-7 day duration at a time. Budget is $500...what do you recommend and why?

Thank you

cmahoney

WKR
Get a used pack on here from the classifieds, unless you can get a pro deal on a mystery ranch for that price. I’ve had sub $500 packs and they can’t hang with my EXO 5500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a used pack on here from the classifieds, unless you can get a pro deal on a mystery ranch for that price. I’ve had sub $500 packs and they can’t hang with my EXO 5500.

Mystery ranch packs are around the $500 threshold. The Metcalf was just on a 25% off on gohunt

hikenhunt

WKR
My Kuiu pack has handled 90+ pounds better than the Kifaru I had. They have sales fairly frequently or you can find one used for well under $500.

Mt Al

WKR
MR Metcalf because of the high level of love reported by other owners on this site and others, check out the gohunt deal listed above or others. HOWEVER, there are so many good options: Kifaru, Kuiu, Seek Outside, etc. you can't go wrong. If it was me I'd look in the classifieds on this site and buy the first used in that group (MR, Kifaru, etc.) one that pops up.

Kotaman

WKR
My Kuiu pack has handled 90+ pounds better than the Kifaru I had. They have sales fairly frequently or you can find one used for well under $500.

That’s honestly the first time I’ve ever heard anyone that has used both Kifaru and KUIU make that statement...I’m guessing those experiences are few and far between but good for you.

Regarding the OP’s question, yes, I would look for lightly used here in the classifieds.

Brand new? I'd go for a Metcalf or Beartooth by Mystery Ranch. The new MT Guide light frame is real nice. I like the Beartooth over the Metcalf for size and organization but you can't go wrong with either.

If I were buying used, I'd try like hell to get a kifaru setup off the classifieds.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’d go with a Seek Outside Lanner or perhaps through the Custom shop. I have the Peregrine which is just a bit smaller.

handwerk

WKR
My first choice would be a used stone glacier, then used Exo/MR I'd hold out for a pack only a couple years old or newer as these 3 companies have recently made some nice improvements.

Lots of options. Here is the sneaky truth. By one, any one, from any brand that makes a framed pack, fit it correctly, and don't worry about the "best". Cause anything over about 70 pounds sucks to some extent, in any pack. Yes, some might be better for you then others but, you seem to be on a budget that won't allow you to try enough that you'll be able to find the gold nugget among the gold dust. So to speak. So, find one you think you will like, buy it, spend a lot of time with it on your back the rest of the summer, and go HUNT!

For me, the best I have tried so far is a Kifaru. You will not beat that belt. And, for me that is the difference when carrying heavy. The belt. And, Kifaru's can't be improved on. What ever you end up with, fit it right and go hunting. Good luck and God Bless

Wrench

WKR
I like the way the mystery ranch fits me better than the kifaru. This is not to say one is "better" than the other, but the honest truth is that it matter how the pack fits YOU. they all do something better and worse than the others.

If I'm not hiking tons of miles from the truck I honestly prefer my 15 year old badlands 2800.....because it's quiet. I've hauled over 100# with each of them and the customs take the weight better for sure....but they're noisy and I hate my $500 pack getting rubbed in the bed of the truck.

WJS23

WKR
I would go used kifaru but that’s just what fit me the best. You can’t go wrong with any of the big name pack manufacturers.