What would you do? 2020-Specific situation

That's a great whitetail! We'll have to renew our conversation about SD - hopefully your SD hunt will be much better than mine 👍🏻

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
That's a great whitetail! We'll have to renew our conversation about SD - hopefully your SD hunt will be much better than mine
I'll have to message you with some details. I changed my plan last minute and didn't hit the areas we discussed.

An update, trip ended up short(only hunted 2 days) due to a stitched would with bone chip getting infected. First aid kit had plenty but wasn't cutting it. Either way I feel like it was a success for my first Mule deer trip and first spot and stalk trip. I saw over a dozen bucks and a ton of does.

Hunting day 1, I bedded 6 bucks and 2 does on a grassy knob. 2 of the bucks were good deer, 160ish. (Even though I havent mule deer hunted, I'm familiar with sizing as I am a measure for B&C). I spent a little time on OnX making a plan, as wind was blowing 25-35 gusting 45 and the only option would be to get behind them upwind and try to get past them and quarter the wind. Long story short I finally peeked over the hill and could see the bigger deers antlers and ears. Ranged at 28 yards, no idea I was there. I tried to adjust to a kneeling position and wait them out. Got settled and took my eye off him for 2 seconds to check a spot on the ground to adjust and he had stood up to stretch. I didnt even have time to draw my bow and all 8 bounded out if there.

Day 2, I bedded a smaller buck in a rock cove.(although I would have been very happy with him) from 1.04 miles away. No good way to approach from the angle I was so ended up doing a 5 mile circle around him to get on the backside. I came in above him on the rocks and didn't see him. Turns out he had adjusted his bed about 20 feet to the side. My inexperience and lack of patience jumped him out and a close distance and he covered some ground quickly.

Even with no kill, I saw some good deer and learned a lot. I wish the medical issue didn't happen or I would still be there looking for more.i definitely plan to go back.

These 2 photos are from the buck on day 2 from just over a mile out.
6a5d5a54b98bc6b3af1612adf611d73f.jpg
77d8b294b52dccc1079de8b916e06e96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk