What would you do? 2020-Specific situation

IAMike304

FNG
So I am sitting on a NR bow tag for archery(never hunted Mulies). Planned to come to SD for 2 weeks in Nov just before rifle season opens on the 14th and try my luck. I just got permission on a new farm here in Iowa and discovered I have 3 deer over 170 on this far,. Farmer has had 3 heart surgeries this year(older guy) and I don't know that I can count on being able to hunt this next year.

I feel like i'm in a dilemma. I want to get out there for my first mule deer hunt but also don't want to leave Iowa and this farm if I havent put a deer on the ground yet. Weather has been challenging lately to hunt it but i'm out every chance I get.

Im planning to stay here in Iowa and hunt these deer. If I kill one with enough time to drive 8 hours to SD, I will for sure. If it doesnt pan out I will stay here and try to tag one, not worrying about Mule deer this year.

So what would you do? Eat a NR tag if it comes down to it. . . Try to hunt after things are calmed down here. .. . Find a different state to go to later(assuming you can get a tag. I havent looked at what places are OTC if I decide that last minute.

Plan was to camp in a wall tent alone, and bow hunt for 2ish weeks. I just dont think I can leave here with these quality of deer on one 100 acre farm.

manitou1

WKR
Ditto. A tough decision and I absolutely love mule deer, but it would be tough for me to walk away from three Booners on a farm vs the slim shot I would have in S.D. Of course, hunting mule deer is always more fun for me.
Good luck!

elkguide

WKR
I use lots of maple syrup in my tag soup. This is the first year in over 20 years that I am not in Idaho or Wyoming for a fall mule deer/elk hunt. My wife who has never said one word about me hunting so far away, said that she wasn't comfortable with me going this year so I'm having tag soup. If I had the opportunity at a B&C deer, I would gladly eat tag soup. You have a great thing right in your back yard. Good luck and we will need pictures!

airbuds

FNG
Tough decision but just take it one after the other. Hopefully you'll kill a deer in lowa soon enough.

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Thanks guys. That helps solidify my plan. Now if the neighbor can get his corn down I won't have to keep getting pictures at night...at least temps are low so hopefully things pick up.
7c835f1e794778b3c48d2d948074341d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Take whatever is the better opportunity. You want the whitetails, go for them. You want to walk around and hope to see a deer, go for the muleys.

WCB

WKR
Personally never shot a B&C buck with a bow...Have quite a few 140-150s deer. Still, I would personally would go to SD and do something different. Of course even though Im from MN stand hunting is boring and whitetails are just something to do when I'm not out west. I'd rather hunt the Dakotas for whitetails than standard whitetail country here in the midwest.

Whitetails in general are just blah anymore.

Both. find the big ones at home, shoot one, then go to SD and stalk mulies.
I saw a clip on the weather channel this morning in south dakota, it was about 20 mulie does crossing the road. No bucks in that group. So maybe the rut will start up in SD by the time you fill your iowa tag.
I'm hoping to see some more biggins as I drive threw Iowa on the way to MT. I saw a beast WT in Iowa about 30 yards off the highway, and unfortunately a nice 140ish dead WT on that same iowa highway against the median.

dubbs

FNG
Go to South Dakota. Maybe shorten up the SD trip by a few days and come back to Iowa for the 2nd half of the rut. November 10-15 was the best for me when I lived in Iowa. Plus you can archery hunt til the end of November with no gun pressure. Win-win situation if you ask me.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I think I would go to Iowa and genuinely help that farmer out in any way possible for his immediate needs and future needs and get some hunting in.

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Well, last minute but loading up to head to SD for my first mule deer hunt. Didnt kill one of my top 3, but a new buck showed up trying to kill my decoy and I couldn't say no.....

Here we go.
82bce13709b0f7021b5ed5d3f138f732.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk