WHAT WOULD YOU DO? An ethics question.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I think the question here is why wouldn’t you shoot it? I’d like to hear some of those answers.
Before reading any of the replies to the scenario my response was, "Absolutely." Having read everything upto this point I think some people's observance of "Fair chase" would preclude them from taking a shot. I say 'observance' because this principle means different things to different people. Some people would never shoot a turkey in a roost or a duck on the water. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer outside of legality.

In the given example I would stand by my original instinct to take the bull. I hunt primarily for meat and the horn is a bonus. I'd use every bit of the animal just as if I had harvested it without the storm. I would also note GPS coordinates and inform authorities so any other usable meat could be salvaged.

Reactions: lif

Rich M

WKR
I agree that no laws would be broken by shooting the bull.

I had a fellow tell me about an elk he found caught in barbed wire - he called local warden and they freed elk & mended fence. So - similar situation, albeit more likely - do you claim the elk with it's leg stuck in a fence - assuming it is in healthy condition and hasn't been there a week...

I'd shoot. Let's think about it....I'm hunting
Yes, assuming I had an elk tag and I went there to shoot a bull, I would put an arrow in him, enjoy that meat, mount him up, and tell the story of the day of thunder, lightning, bugling bulls, and biblical rain to anyone fortunate enough to ask.

This.

Btaylor

WKR
Shoot the bull, film the scene with phone, call fish and game if there is service, otherwise, I start quartering the dead and keep an eye on the others to see if they are going to get up and move on. The ones that dont get put down too with more video. Start the pack out of the tagged bull and re-call if service becomes available. If no service at all, pack tagged bull out and drive to service area and call again.

I would put an arrow in him. I don't see this as being any different than shooting an animal that had been wounded by another hunter or animal. You may not know their fate, but I'm certainly not going to watch them suffer and then wonder what if I hadn't taken the shot.

Shrek

WKR
I’d walk on. I’m not there to just kill a bull. If I just wanted the meat and a decoration for my wall I’d go to the grocery store and the home decoration store. I’m there to hunt and walking up to a naturally mortally wounded animal and finishing it off isn’t what I’m there for. Let nature take its course and I’ll follow my own true course.

Before reading any of the replies to the scenario my response was, "Absolutely." Having read everything upto this point I think some people's observance of "Fair chase" would preclude them from taking a shot. I say 'observance' because this principle means different things to different people. Some people would never shoot a turkey in a roost or a duck on the water. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer outside of legality.

In the given example I would stand by my original instinct to take the bull. I hunt primarily for meat and the horn is a bonus. I'd use every bit of the animal just as if I had harvested it without the storm. I would also note GPS coordinates and inform authorities so any other usable meat could be salvaged.

That's why I only shoot the bulls if they are bigger than the cows. :)

I’d walk on. I’m not there to just kill a bull. If I just wanted the meat and a decoration for my wall I’d go to the grocery store and the home decoration store. I’m there to hunt and walking up to a naturally mortally wounded animal and finishing it off isn’t what I’m there for. Let nature take its course and I’ll follow my own true course.

So instead you will walk right by a wounded animal to go kill another?

Your moral compass is much different than mine.

Randle

WKR
Is this even a real event? I just watched a Full draw tour # 6 or 7, Not sure which one but there was a forest fire in the area of the hunt, 2 scorched and burned bucks were take. I think it was the right thing to do. Lightening, not even sure this would be real.
I think it is a case of compassion not ethics.

Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider

This right here. Mother Nature overrides us all. Weather events like these occur more frequently than most people actually understand. The carnage left behind won’t be wasted, but would instead be utilized by the very environment you are standing in.

Personally, I would take a moment for some reflection and let my gut tell me what’s right. Maybe shoot him if I had a tag, maybe move on and search for an animal that is a more fair chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk