WHAT WOULD YOU DO? An ethics question.

lif

WKR
I’d walk on. I’m not there to just kill a bull. If I just wanted the meat and a decoration for my wall I’d go to the grocery store and the home decoration store. I’m there to hunt and walking up to a naturally mortally wounded animal and finishing it off isn’t what I’m there for. Let nature take its course and I’ll follow my own true course.
Comparing super market meat to elk meat. 👎🏻 Saying a trophy can’t come from an awesome and rare story from the woods. 👎🏻 Wanting to experience all the challenges of the hunt I get. 👍🏻

OP
Where's Bruce?
Okay...let's consider this situation. You decide the chase was fair right up until you realized the elk could no longer move. You walk...just not your thing. On the way back you see the same elk a bloody mess but still alive, a nearby coyote has been on it. Do you...

a) Walk again?
b) Shoot the coyote?
c) Shoot the elk?
d) Shoot the elk & coyote?
e) Board the space craft seeking a new species to hunt?

Azone

WKR
I guess a lot of it depends on the persons emotions. Some of us are more inclined to end suffering since we can't stand the thought or sight of it, some us are more of the let nature take its course crowd. To each their own is how I see it. As mentioned we all hunt for different reasons, my main reason is meat plain and simple, horns are a bonus.

As for me if I had a tag, the elk would have never been chewed on by the coyote, because I would have been quartering it up by that time.

Without a tag, I would just snap a few pictures and report it to fish and game.

With my luck though, the elk would have walked up on me still smoldering and twitching :eek:.

Boarding a spaceship would also be pretty cool to.

Reactions: lif

Shrek

WKR
I guess a lot of it depends on the persons emotions. Some of us are more inclined to end suffering since we can't stand the thought or sight of it, some us are more of the let nature take its course crowd. To each their own is how I see it. As mentioned we all hunt for different reasons, my main reason is meat plain and simple, horns are a bonus.

As for me if I had a tag, the elk would have never been chewed on by the coyote, because I would have been quartering it up by that time.

Without a tag, I would just snap a few pictures and report it to fish and game.

With my luck though, the elk would have walked up on me still smoldering and twitching :eek:.

Boarding a spaceship would also be pretty cool to.
My luck is the elk would come in after the storm where I’d had another very near miss with lightning (I’ve had four) with the bush next to me on fire giving me cover.
But as to Bruce’s scenario I’d walk again as it’s nature taking its course and I’m still hunting. Antlers are just a bonus to me also. I’m not putting my tag on a nature kill. If I was done chasing elk I might stop and shoot the coyote and call G&F and see about a salvage permit.

bowuntr

WKR
Not Fair Chase... call F&G. There's way more to a hunt than tagging an animal and meat. Animals die every day in the woods, I'm not a scavenger. Ed F

OXN939

WKR
You've heard a bugling bull that sounds like he's been chain smoking for decades...old and raspy. As you work your way towards the calls...a massive thunderhead rolls in and before ya know it...the winds hits and the Arizona sky goes dark. You feel the hairs on your head and arms tingle, the air is charged. Then the thunder and flash as strings of lightning strike all around you...blowing up trees and starting small fires. Now comes the rain...Biblical rain. The kind of monsoonal downpour that floods in two minutes. You cannot really do anything but wait it out and try not to stain your shorts. Fifteen minutes later the clouds have moved on and you're looking for the bull again. As you move uphill you come to a clearing and find an entire herd of elk on the ground. Some are dead, some are still moving...they got zapped by Mother Nature. And there he is...a magnificent bull every inch of 370 on his knees struggling in vain to get to his feet. Nobody is around. You are hunting solo. So...do you put an arrow in him?

View attachment 96377
View attachment 96403

My view is that this is not dissimilar from finding an animal tangled in a fence; the only difference is that the external influence reducing a game animal's mobility is natural, not manmade. If I find a Whitetail buck that tried to hop a fence and got its hoof caught in the barbed wire, I'm not going to walk up a few feet away from the animal and plug it.

I'd let him walk unless it were obvious he was not going to make it.

Chute em and tag him. Great story and at the end of the day, I would argue till I'm blue in the face that was a mercy kill considering his situation.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Just so ya know...I am not suggesting there is a right and wrong answer. I can argue it both ways and be right. If I kill him, tag him and eat him instead of shooting some other bull...that in itself is conservation (one dead elk versus two). If I walk and don't kill another elk...it's still one dead elk (maybe) or no dead elk and that's conservation.

Now if I walk because I feel the shot is unethical, and go on to kill another bull...it may be two dead elk, one left to feed the critters and one for me but my elk died in a fair chase hunt. That is conservation. If I walk and fail to shoot an elk, then maybe one dies or none die and that's conservation.

For me, I switched to shooting strictly trad so without lightning I'm likely to go vegan unless the aliens abduct me and stick that thing up my bum again. I hate it when that happens.

Btaylor

WKR
I'm calling for an outright ban on lightening...the gov't needs to step up and do something about this.:rolleyes:

Reactions: lif

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I once came upon a wounded animal it was on its feet but in bad shape I had a tag I put it down and tagged it, while packing it out I came across the same scene again, I called the warden he came out and instructed me to take the second animal also probably wouldn’t get that lucky twice but I’d try for sure. Iv eaten a couple beef that had been killed by lightning they were fine for eating and butcher said he does a few every year killed by lightning.