What would you do for free gear?

Poser

WKR
That gear ain’t free: You have to whore out your soul to get it.

Work a job, buy your own shit. Unless a company were going to actually pay me to use and peddle their crap, I’ll just work a job and buy stuff that I like and want. That way I can have gear that I actually like and maintain my self respect.

I would compromise by being less abrasive with criticism but that's about it. Hard to say exactly how much i'd compromise if I couldn't afford decent gear.

I've only gotten a couple freebees. Hoffman boots had a "describe your ideal hunting boots" thread in which posting got you a chance at a free pair of boots. I was lucky and won an expensive pair of boots from Hoffman. I reviewed them fairly on here IMO and shared what I didn't love (they are still nice boots).

Another vendor saw i had pictures of their product in a thread and sent me a different related product to try out. It is still packaged up and not sure I'll ever use em.

I feel like this forum does a pretty good job at trying to provide objective opinions on products. The membership is still made up of people with biases and differing motives and it would be foolish to shit on a bunch of sponsors paying the bills so some negative feedback is likely a little more gentle.

I was not impressed with the pack but just didn't want to be a jerk to be honest. I do like the quick release strap. You can get a tried and tested seek outside pack for the same price thats waterproof, weighs about 2lbs less and is made in America. Not sure where that pack is made but it says "overseas"

minengr

FNG
I think it would depend upon the gear. Some things would be a waste given to me free, others, not so much.

I was not impressed with the pack but just didn't want to be a jerk to be honest. I do like the quick release strap. You can get a tried and tested seek outside pack for the same price thats waterproof, weighs about 2lbs less and is made in America. Not sure where that pack is made but it says "overseas"
Another reason not to pursue it, Use made in America 100% or do without.

ODB

WKR
There is no better endorsement than from a person who has the ability to buy several competing products, does so to find which one works the best FOR THEM, sends the rest down the river, and then uses the product he selected, without compensation, or expectation of compensation.

That’s rare as hens teeth nowadays though.

BluMtn

WKR
I understand what you are saying and agree with you but that is a different topic from why I started this thread.

Here is my issue again for you. The company asked for Rokslider's thoughts but Roksliders are not giving their real thoughts because they want to win a free pack. Do you think all the comments would be that positive if there was not a free pack being given away?

I'm not saying people should bash the company I'm just saying that people should be honest and give their opinion on how the pack looks.

If I read their post correctly they are looking for some Well Known Roksliders to TEST their new pack and write a review for them on what you think of it and how it works. I for one would like to test it just to see how it compares with my other packs. How you enter is by posting a comment. Reading most of the comments people have looked at the website or the provided pictures and made comments about some of the features that they thought looked good. Unless someone commented after I last looked at that thread I did not see anybody make any statements about actually handling one yet.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
There is no better endorsement than from a person who has the ability to buy several competing products, does so to find which one works the best FOR THEM, sends the rest down the river, and then uses the product he selected, without compensation, or expectation of compensation.

That’s rare as hens teeth nowadays though.

I think the best is when you can get ALL the brands for free and compare them without feeling like you have to justify your purchase to yourself.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
If I read their post correctly they are looking for some Well Known Roksliders to TEST their new pack and write a review for them on what you think of it and how it works. I for one would like to test it just to see how it compares with my other packs. How you enter is by posting a comment. Reading most of the comments people have looked at the website or the provided pictures and made comments about some of the features that they thought looked good. Unless someone commented after I last looked at that thread I did not see anybody make any statements about actually handling one yet.

Based on the facts presented by the company and the company asking for Rokslider's thoughts I expected more scrutinity from the crowd here. I think the fact that a free pack is offered to one of the comments is the reason why so few people are willing to scrutinize what's presented by the company.

So my point is that I think people were not willing to offer their honest first opinions for fear of losing out on a chance to get the pack. I don't think everyone is thinking this way but just what stood out to me overall when reading the thread.

I fully believe that whoever receives that pack will give an honest review of it.

Im also wondering how valuable of a review they would receive if they end up giving them to people that dont have experience with other top end packs or that hasnt/wont pack a bunch of heavy loads long distance with them. You can probably use just about anything if you're packing whitetail short distances i imagine. Hopefully they give one to justin crossley or someone else with lots of packs to compare it against