What Would You Do?

gelton

WKR
I just had one of the worst customer service experiences in my lifetime and I am wondering, what would you do? I have slept on this and still do not feel entirely comfortable with what went down.

On April 30th I go in to buy a Mathews V3 from the local "pro" shop. They didn't have the color I was looking for in the 31 (only FL in stock), but they say we have a big order that is supposed to ship on May 5th. They pull up the order and go over the color combos with me and I ordered ambush green riser and stone limbs. Order isn't exactly the word, because the way they handle it in the shop is layaway. So I pay the entire layaway except for a penny.

Fast forward to May 11th when I call them (note they didn't call me) and they say they just got in an order of 50 bows and they are certain that mine is in there but they haven't been inventoried yet.

On May 18th I drive to the shop because they still haven't called me (45 minutes from me) with the accessories that they didn't have in stock (Hamskea Trinity, Spott Hogg Fast Eddie XL, Raptor peep, etc) and half a dozen arrows that I wanted them to fletched thinking I would just have a look at my bow, leave the accessories and then come back and pick it up once the arrows were fletched.

The first thing they say is, sorry we are too busy to fletch the arrows. I have another order in from South Shore Archery, which for the first time ever was another bad experience (talked to Jerry for 30-45 minutes before placing the order and a week later get an email saying they are 3-4 weeks out), so I was a little bumbed about that but not a deal killer.

Meanwhile, another chap is in there getting his new bow squared away that happened to be the exact color scheme bow that I had ordered and paid for.

They go into the back and search around for 20-30 minutes and by golly, my bow isn't there....it was in the process of being accessorized and set up for the other gentlemen in the shop, real-time.

They then proceeded to break down a bow in the shop and replace the limbs on a full ambush green model to "make" me the bow that I ordered. I would have left with the full ambush green bow had I not bought a stone rest to match the limbs. Long story long, I watched my bow that I had paid for walk out of the shop while another bow was pieced together from two bows.

Then to kick it off, the qlite quiver that they were holding for me went out the door with the other bow as well. What should have been an exciting day picking up a $1600 bow including skb case turned out to be an infuriating experience and I am still wondering what I should have or could do to rectify the situation. In my opinion, a bow that has had the limbs replaced is hardly a new from factory bow. Am I overreacting or is this world just going crazy?

P.S. Apologies for the long post but due to this experience (happened yesterday) along with the experience with South Shore Archery, I purchased a Last Chance Vane Master Pro, X Spot Pro Arrow Saw, Firenock Squaring Jig, and an OMP Bow Vice last night. Now all I need is a press and some knowledge (lol) and I can tell all of em to GFY,

I think that you weren't treated appropriately, but I wouldn't be concerned about having a bow with different from factory limbs on it personally.

It's a catch .22 but I wouldn't burn your relationship with the shop unless there's somewhere else to deal with for warranty.

On one hand you can be happy that you have a bow in hand that people who ordered one 6 weeks before you did still don't have one, if that's any consolation.

It's a shame to keep reading how poor service is from a lot of shops. I guess I'm just fortunate. Might be you can find a different dealer to take your business to.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
I think that you weren't treated appropriately, but I wouldn't be concerned about having a bow with different from factory limbs on it personally.

It's a catch .22 but I wouldn't burn your relationship with the shop unless there's somewhere else to deal with for warranty.

On one hand you can be happy that you have a bow in hand that people who ordered one 6 weeks before you did still don't have one, if that's any consolation.

It's a shame to keep reading how poor service is from a lot of shops. I guess I'm just fortunate. Might be you can find a different dealer to take your business to.
For me, I have two choices within an hour drive from me (I live in a pretty rural place) one is this dealer, a Mathews dealer, who helped me out tremendously in the past with an Elite and, even though I really wanted to shoot, and probably buy, a PSE NTN, the PSE dealer in the area has a terrible reputation. So, in a way, I wanted to repay the Mathews dealer for the previous help with the Elite (which they didn't even charge me for even though I was more than willing to pay).

At the end of the day, because of my location and limited choices, I am just going to have to teach myself to do it all - from arrow building to bow tuning, which, is most likely a good thing anyway.

Relying on our fellow man is proving to be an excercise in futility.

Gumbo

WKR
You nailed it when you said get a press. Then buy the bow and all the you can at a good shop with good people. Best of both worlds, you get to have a shop as a resource/middleman if you have issues AND you do your own work which will be better in the long run. AND they like you because you are low maintenance and buy from them.

But it sounds like you got screwed...although I laughed at you when you were talking about not having your rest match your bow. You can also just buy black accessories, they go with everything, if you are worried about that sort of thing.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
You nailed it when you said get a press. Then buy the bow and all the you can at a good shop with good people. Best of both worlds, you get to have a shop as a resource/middleman if you have issues AND you do your own work which will be better in the long run. AND they like you because you are low maintenance and buy from them.

But it sounds like you got screwed...although I laughed at you when you were talking about not having your rest match your bow. You can also just buy black accessories, they go with everything, if you are worried about that sort of thing.
LOL, yeah I am never a stickler for color schemes but I had picked out the rest specifically because of the stone limbs and Hamskeas green and Mathews don't match...if I hadn't done that I would have left with the ambush green.

If it weren't for my wife and her friends I wouldn't have posted this but all of em were saying there's no way that guy would have made it out the door with their stuff, lol.

For me, I have two choices within an hour drive from me (I live in a pretty rural place) one is this dealer, a Mathews dealer, who helped me out tremendously in the past with an Elite and, even though I really wanted to shoot, and probably buy, a PSE NTN but the PSE dealer has a terrible reputation in the area. So, in a way, I wanted to repay the Mathews dealer for the previous help with the Elite (which they didn't even charge me for even though I was more than willing to pay).

At the end of the day, because of my location and limited choices, I am just going to have to teach myself to do it all - from arrow building to bow tuning, which, is most likely a good thing anyway.

Relying on our fellow man is proving to be more every day, an exercise in futility.

Learning to do it all is definitely the way to go, if for nothing else because we frequently don't have time to go to a shop while they are open. I think this year has really been a mess for shops. Long lead times on everything. A year ago it was hard to get brass inserts, that lasted until November or so. Thing is that's still not an excuse for poor service. They should be doing what they can, but just be upfront.

Could be you weren't the only one to put that same bow on layaway too. That's still poor service, but maybe a little better than not reserving it, they just sold it twice and we're going to switch the limbs before they called you to come get the second one they sold.

sndmn11

WKR
The answer is almost always choose First Lite.

I'd be salty about the bow you paid for not being on the shipment or leaving in someone else's hands. I'd be super happy that I am not waiting 3 months for any bow in the model/weight/draw length I wanted, and snag the best available color at that moment. That little to no wait would be sweet enough for me that I'd get over being salty pretty quick after plainly telling them how mad I was.

I'd go shot the bow, tell your wife the whole experience ruined it for you, and see if she will let you therapeutically buy a second to help you heal.

Jesus!!! I thought this kind of stuff only happened to me! My blood pressure would have sky-rocketed and I would have let them have it....(in my mind) and walked out of there with the consolation prize just like you did with a bittersweet experience and $1500 lighter. Customer service just ain’t what it used to be! Bastards!!!!

What would I do? I'd bite my tongue, take the new not-quite-what-I-ordered bow, and start buying tools to do my own work and minimize interaction with bow shops, which sounds like exactly what you're doing. Prompted by a general DIY proclivity and some specific negative experiences with shops, I started accumulating my own arrow building and bow tuning/maintenance equipment a few years ago. I'm at the point now that my only need for a bow shop would be to order a new bow (which I've never actually done, always shot secondhand) or order parts only available through a dealer (which I've had to do a few times). I'm still getting by with a Bowmaster cable press at present but have plans to build a "real" bench-mounted press. For the know-how part of the equation, the Bow Shop Bible app has proven to be a worthwhile investment.

Marble

WKR
Swapping out parts to make the bow is normal. Happens all the time.

But the way your shop treated you would make me not go back there.

My shop isn't always 100%. They us3d to forget to call and sometimes took a minute to get stuff done. But after got established on first name basis with them, I've got a great relationship with them. They are fair and always take time to take care of the customers that buy their products in their shop.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tuk

FNG
I am stubborn. I would have demanded money back and probably stood outside with a sign telling how bad that shop is. A good pro shop makes you feel welcome. i Feel bad for your experience

Curious the shop you like around our parts? I was with one shop locally, but moved to Amherst Supply in lynchburg as the guy there was more of a shop with friendly service.

Curious the shop you like around our parts? I was with one shop locally, but moved to Amherst Supply in lynchburg as the guy there was more of a shop with friendly service.

Rockingham Co-op in Harrisonburg.

They don't have a very good area for shooting in the store, however Stacy bends over backwards for people. His customer service is great and he knows his bows.

Here's what I would do...
Talk to the owner, let him know you had a poor customer experience.
Also let him know, you are giving him the opportunity to make it right, and your experience will be reflected in a online review and with Matthews.

When he asks you what you want to make it right, tell him a store gift certificate seems in order.

You'll know what to do next.

Phaseolus

WKR
The question I would ask myself is when did that guy order and pay for his bow?

Reactions: Zac

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The question I would ask myself is when did that guy order and pay for his bow?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the other guy ordered before you.

Swapping limbs aint a big thing. I would be happy I got a bow faster then waiting on mathews to make one.

Reactions: Zac
OP
G

gelton

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the other guy ordered before you.

Swapping limbs aint a big thing. I would be happy I got a bow faster then waiting on mathews to make one.
Yeah that wasnt the case, he walked in and paid on the same day.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
What would I do? I'd bite my tongue, take the new not-quite-what-I-ordered bow, and start buying tools to do my own work and minimize interaction with bow shops, which sounds like exactly what you're doing. Prompted by a general DIY proclivity and some specific negative experiences with shops, I started accumulating my own arrow building and bow tuning/maintenance equipment a few years ago. I'm at the point now that my only need for a bow shop would be to order a new bow (which I've never actually done, always shot secondhand) or order parts only available through a dealer (which I've had to do a few times). I'm still getting by with a Bowmaster cable press at present but have plans to build a "real" bench-mounted press. For the know-how part of the equation, the Bow Shop Bible app has proven to be a worthwhile investment.
Oh, I bit my tongue alright, but I am not a small guy and I think they could tell from the look on my face (sure it was beet red too) that I was an inch away from losing it. They seemed pretty nervous lol.

When I found out the quiver was gone too, I asked them if I could come work there for a week, so that I could just walk stuff out the back door and no one would notice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You lost me at "$1600 for a bow and SKB case". Ya, I know that's what bows are going for these days at full retail, but I refuse to pay full retail for stuff.

I won't get rid of a bow until I have its replacement in hand, set up, and has already passed my muster. So as soon as "your bow" walked out of the store that day, I would have walked out of that store with my money and never gone back. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and moved on.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
You lost me at "$1600 for a bow and SKB case". Ya, I know that's what bows are going for these days at full retail, but I refuse to pay full retail for stuff.

I won't get rid of a bow until I have its replacement in hand, set up, and has already passed my muster. So as soon as "your bow" walked out of the store that day, I would have walked out of that store with my money and never gone back. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and moved on.
Yeah, they kind of had me by the balls though, I sold my other bow last year and had already waited 2.5 weeks for this one. For me to find another shop it would be ~2.5-hour drive. Right now, I am just looking to get down the road, build some arrows, get the string settled in, bring it back to that shop for a tune and start shooting broadheads so I am squared away by September.

And have a press on the way sometime shortly after that.