What Would You Do?

S.Clancy

WKR
Yeah, they kind of had me by the balls though, I sold my other bow last year and had already waited 2.5 weeks for this one. For me to find another shop it would be ~2.5-hour drive. Right now, I am just looking to get down the road, build some arrows, get the string settled in, bring it back to that shop for a tune and start shooting broadheads so I am squared away by September.

And have a press on the way sometime shortly after that.
Ahhh, I haven't been in a pro shop in well over a year thanks to buying a press, arrow saw, etc. In my experience, a good pro shop is like a damn unicorn and dealing with most of them makes me physically ill.

I think I would have asked for my money back and walked out. If they can't offer to make it right, at that point, they wouldn't do so in any situation. I'm sure the shop didn't intentionally try to treat you poorly, but mistakes were clearly made.

As for the bow you have now, I would make sure it is still covered by the warranty and walk away knowing that you learned a lesson about the shop - a lesson that didn't cost you an arm and leg (you still got the ordered bow and setup). I know there is still a lot of fallout from the COVID delays, but transparency is what garners that understanding. Without clear communication, you had no idea what was going on with your order.

I support the local shop. But I prefer to do all my own work. It helps to have a good relationship with them and buy from them when I can. Mostly because if I need something, they will usually help me out.

But that experience would have burned me from that particular shop.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yeah that wasnt the case, he walked in and paid on the same day.

You assume too much sir. Without them saying you don't really know. If I want a bow I just text the owner and its ordered. I dont have to put down 0.01. They know me and know I'm good on my word. I know a couple other guys here that can do the same thing. But new customers or guys they dont know have to put $ down.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
You assume too much sir. Without them saying you don't really know. If I want a bow I just text the owner and its ordered. I dont have to put down 0.01. They know me and know I'm good on my word. I know a couple other guys here that can do the same thing. But new customers or guys they dont know have to put $ down.
I didn't say I assumed it wasn't the case, I said it wasn't the case. It was the only one in that color combo that was part of the shop's order. And I wasn't a new customer and paid for the entire bow less a penny 2.5 weeks before it came in so that they would hold it for me.

The bow techs also knew what was going on and explained what had just transpired to the owner right in front of me.

What was that you said about assuming :)?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I didn't say I assumed it wasn't the case, I said it wasn't the case. It was the only one in that color combo that was part of the shop's order. And I wasn't a new customer and paid for the entire bow less a penny 2.5 weeks before it came in so that they would hold it for me.

The bow techs also knew what was going on and explained what had just transpired to the owner right in front of me.

What was that you said about assuming :)?

Your right with all that infomation you should be pissed. I would be as well. Yes I assumed and I aplogize.

They know who is good for the money.

Nothing against the op. I order all my stuff with a text. Not many places are going to do that with someone they don't know.

I have clients I treat the same way. They contact me and I know we are good. They get on the schedule, sometimes put to the front since they insist on being paid up the day I finish.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
They know who is good for the money.

Nothing against the op. I order all my stuff with a text. Not many places are going to do that with someone they don't know.

I have clients I treat the same way. They contact me and I know we are good. They get on the schedule, sometimes put to the front since they insist on being paid up the day I finish.
To be clear they would have taken $5 to hold it but I intentionally paid for the whole thing, and the funny thing is I have a name that is similar to a famous person and they said how much for your autograph and I said the exact amount that I just paid them, and then clarified and said, no, I want to pay you the whole amount so that when the order doesn't show up on time I can call and bug you about it.

True story.

To be clear they would have taken $5 to hold it but I intentionally paid for the whole thing, and the funny thing is I have a name that is similar to a famous person and they said how much for your autograph and I said the exact amount that I just paid them, and then clarified and said, no, I want to pay you the whole amount so that when the order doesn't show up on time I can call and bug you about it.

True story.

Yeah, like I said, it was nothing against you. I feel like you got shafted with your experience. It's unfortunate. Hopefully the owner works to make the situation better for you.

I can tell you it's hard to find an employee worth a damn right now. You are paying to have a warm body most of the time. Every now and then they will answer a phone.

Again, that doesn't excuse the experience. Fortunately you are on a forum that is pretty helpful. You can learn to do everything you need to do. Only issue you can't fix is a possible warranty claim or ordering parts.

wapitibob

WKR
Having worked for an archery bow mfg, there is zero difference between the bow that was put together in sparta wi. and the one they put together in the local shop. Yes you want the shiny one straight out of the plastic bag but had they done it in the back room you'd be none the wiser.

I'll tell you from 50 years of archery experience, you are way better off spending the coin you did on the tools. The only time my bow is in a shop press is when I use it myself when I'm down there shooting. Make yourself a draw board, with no scale on it, get a press, a last chance bow scale and you'll be golden. Don't be afraid to turn wrenches and twist cables, that's how you learn. Have fun with the new bow.

Last edited:

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Just had my shop re string a bow for me. I should have done it myself but I pre paid before my press showed up. Anyway.

I got the bow back and The D Loop had at least 1/4" of play with the nocked arrow. I gave them an arrow to set it too.

They had the rest set way over the berger holes
Didn't straighten the peep out at all. Almost 180 degrees off
Moved my dead locks all the way to the right for whatever reason.
Center shot was way way off.
Timing was off.
I ended up fixing it all myself. Paper tuned bare shaft tuned walk back tuned good to go.

Jimbob

WKR
Problems I see

1. You paid for the bow - that means they should have been calling you and setting it aside
2. They gave your bow to someone else - BOGUS
3. They gave your quiver to someone else - BOGUS

Things they did right

They made you the exact bow you ordered and you had it in your hands. There is nothing magical about a bow assembled from the factory. It's not like special limbs are made to match an exact riser. All those pieces just get put together no special tuning or anything. So when the shop swaps some pieces it's literally like it just came from the factory.

In the end, the only thing missing is your matching quiver and the fact that you did not receive good customer service. You have an awesome bow that is exactly what you ordered so you should be happy about that. The bad customer service is really on them because it means you should pretty much never deal with them again. Now you know how they operate and you can shop elsewhere.

Sled

WKR
I've had better service from AT sellers than local pro shops. I do have a press and can handle basic setup and tuning. The rest of the stuff is what YouTube is for. The only time my bow sees a shop is for required warranty work. Then after I get it back I have to see how to fix it myself. The last warranty shop somehow blew up my bow when they reinstalled the cams improperly shimmed. Turns out you need the cables intact on both sides of your cams. Who knew

Shops go out of business for a reason. I'd talk to the owner and see how he/she handles the situation. You may get a discount in the way a store credit or they may give you a partial refund. If they tell you to pound sand then you probably don't want to deal with them again

sndmn11

WKR
For anyone who knows, when manufacturers send out bows, do they tell the shop what is coming and what teh serial # is of what is coming?

sndmn11

WKR
Depends on the manufacturer. Mathews, Hoyt, and PSE all have dealer portals to tracks orders.

So in a situation like this, "we have what you want coming in", it wouldn't be absurd to ask for the serial number of your en route bow? Then there wouldn't be any confusion of what bow was ordered by who.

OR Archer

WKR
So in a situation like this, "we have what you want coming in", it wouldn't be absurd to ask for the serial number of your en route bow? Then there wouldn't be any confusion of what bow was ordered by who.
Typically there’s no serial numbers. Just PO number, product with specs if applicable, quantity, etc.