What Would You Do?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Its wrong what they did. I would be pissed and probably would have asked for my money back, then walked out of there and found a different bow on ebay, and taken to a different shop for set up. Having said that, I also would have either driven down there on May 11th when they said it was there, or at latest the next day to get it. No way I would let a week go by before going down there.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Ain't much tuning on them these days. My VXR is identical to the v3. Maybe a hair rest or center shot adjustment. Long as the cams and limbs are in time u are GOLD. Even string stretch isn't what it used to be.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Ain't much tuning on them these days. My VXR is identical to the v3. Maybe a hair rest or center shot adjustment. Long as the cams and limbs are in time u are GOLD. Even string stretch isn't what it used to be.
Yeah, she is shooting pretty good so far, already broke off a couple of nocks and that's during the initial break-in on the strings with no tune...bringing it in tomorrow for a tune and hoping I don't have to see them again before hunting season.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
They are like butter in the hands for sure! I'm very fortunate on the bow front(pro shop). A very good friend of mine Owns a local Mathews shop and shoots on their senior pro staff. He finished 5th in the World last year. He can build em and tune em in his sleep.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
A BLESSING IN DISGUISE…

First, I thank you for sharing your experience with everyone. Sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself and talk to your fellow archers to realize something amazing will come out of this. Let’s put it like this…ARCHERY IS A LIFELONG RELATIONSHIP, BOW SHOPS ARE HIGH SCHOOL FLINGS.

Let me explain my logic and tell you a “success” story.

I come from a family of rifle hunters. My dad grew up in East Los Angeles and after he got out of the Marines he went to the University of Idaho. California…he’ll never go back. He took up a new passion for hunting while in college and ultimately enjoyed sharing his love for the outdoors with me and my siblings. After the first 6 years of notching almost every tag I was talked into trying archery. In which I did. I was 20 at the time and if you asked me what a peep sight was I probably would of pointed to the Berger hole. So I bought my first bow off of eBay, a used Diamond Justice with entry level accessory’s. Decided to take it into my local bow shop. Which is now, I guess you can say, the “home” base of the YouTube channel Elkshape. I won’t say any names but as soon as I walked in there was blood in the water.

I asked the guy who was helping me what I need as far as bow ready equipment. This only confirmed his thought of me right when I walked in the door. Which was dollar signs. He told me I need a new string and cable set. Which was true but never did he ask to take my draw length or peep sight height. He kept everything the same measurements as what the previous owner had fit for him. Upon that I was taken advantage of. Getting talked into buying really nice arrows for a beginner as well as all the charges for cutting and fletching the arrows which a few vanes went flying off on the first shot. Ohhhh I also needed the shuttle T broad heads, about 3 packs he explained. Not a bad head flight wise but they were fragile looking back to all the replacement blades I had to buy and the ferrules I’ve thrown away. After my bow and arrows were ready to be picked up and gaining a lot of wallet space i get home and pull m bow back. It was a joke. I thought to myself “I thought you look through the peep hole and align the sight ring? But I guess you line up string on the side of the peep perpendicular to the pins?” Yes my peep was at a 90 degree turn at full draw. After researching on my own about shooting and aiming a bow, I was just to embarrassed to walk back in that shop and say fix this, oh and these fletchings that just fell off on the first shot, or lengthen my draw length because this feels awkward having to bend my grip hand arm so much. At the time and a little while after I noticed and felt I was betrayed, used, and taken advantage of. Betrayed as in I felt like I just met a new best friend who was going to do me right as a new archer. Used as in swindled into buying everything he recommended. And taken advantage of from him knowing all the bs he fed me I would agree with because hey I am at a “Bow shop”.

👆
Hey sounds like a high school fling.

I’ll keep this part short…

THE POSITIVE of this whole situation and what I hope for you is that you will take my advice and most of the other seasoned members here mentioning for you to learn and teach yourself the other side of being an archer. Invest time into archery and I’m not talking about practicing in the back yard but learning how to do simple things like tying a d-loop knot or serving in a peep. Then let it take you where you want to go after that like changing your strings which can be tedious at times with tuning and getting all your specs as close as possible. Make some mistakes so you can learn! Lastly, this whole archery thing has cost me a lot of money, as most of all the DIY Guys here will say from buying your first spool of serving or spending a paycheck on a press. But I will tell you the relationships and friendships I’ve created through obtaining, practicing, and helping people in this other side of archery is by far the most rewarding experience.

👆
Archery is a lifelong relationship.

And guess what?

Much like your visit to the bow shop…

It came from an un(fortunate) experience in the past, so pick one.😎🙌

OP
G

gelton

WKR
^^^ I sure hope it is a blessing in disguise and after peeling off another $1200 to get setup with a press, arrow building equipment, vice, and drawboard I am sure it will be. (still havent bought the press and drawboard but looks like I am going to want to sooner than I had hoped for)

Just went in there today and they don't have any 80% mods so it will be a while before I am able to sight in the slider but my firenock lighted nocks were a hit...they had never heard of them or seen them before.

The bow was shooting well enough through paper even with bare shafts though.

I feel like I am living in the twilight zone, or groundhog day or the Truman show...someone wake me up when this is over lol.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Just an update here that might help someone. Ended up completing my in-home bow shop with a press and now have everything one could possibly need for building arrows and tuning a bow short of a spine tester for arrows.

After bare shafting the bow from 20 yards I had a right impact and tail left so I switched out the top hats on the top cam and bumped it left. Then I had a left impact and a very slight tail right. After doing some reading I probably should have adjusted the bottom cam first since the original tail left wasn't that bad.

Anyhow, I was able to dial in the slight tail right by a couple of very slight adjustments to the rest and I was able to straighten out a slight peep rotation with the press as well.

Going to be building arrows tonight as I destroyed the nock end of my fletch shaft with the bare shaft with a damn near robin hood. I would say it's shooting lights out.

Feels good to be able to help myself when it comes to cranking on bows and building arrows. So long to the "pro" shop.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Satisfying to DIY and know that it's done right. Or your fault if not 😁
Still need to learn how to serve a peep, tie in nocks etc....

Does anyone know what is the preferred D Loop and serving material for nocks and peeps?

Does anyone know what is the preferred D Loop and serving material for nocks and peeps?
I prefer the Hamskea method of securing a peep. They specifically recommend 0.014 braided serving, but I just use whatever I have on hand. Material choice is important for center serving to achieve good nock fit, but I don't think it matters much for peeps and nock sets.
https://www.hamskeaarchery.com/how-to-tie-in-your-peep/

I bought a 100' roll of this D-loop cord for $10 a few years ago. I've been happy with it and have barely made a dent in my supply.

Rob5589

WKR

I now use the method that Bowmar uses in his video. It does not squeeze down the triangles above and below the peep so no worry about twisting after serving. Like he mentions, make sure the peep is where you want it because it won't move.

To tie a peep I just use an overhand knot on the half string to start, then 3-4 overhands as I wrap the serving around the peep in different positions, followed by a square knot on the top that I burn the ends on.

Holds the peep just fine, doesn't put any additional pressure on the string.
Doesn't look fancy tho.

I do mark my peep tho to be sure.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ve never tied a d loop id recommend using BCY 24. 23 doesn’t melt as easy and it’s harder to get a good mushroom. Although 23 is stronger I’d still use 24. Also try not to set it on fire. Try to get a clear mushroom and not a black glob.

This^^^ - the material is key.

Great to hear your figuring it all out OP. I bought a press years ago, and while I try to support local when I can, there isn’t much around anymore I’d trust with a bow.

I also live in a fairly rural area, and had a poor first experience purchasing a brand new setup Hoyt w arrows. They took over a month past promised ready date & when I finally picked it up I got yelled at for missing the intended target because my rest was never adjusted even remotely close to center shot!!!?? to make a long story short, poor customer service and sloppy work has me realizing that the best way to have confidence and fun in practice is to be able to work on my own bow @ my convenience. we have a fairly reputable shop about an hour away, but aint nobody got time for that one month before seasons start opening. Initial purchase price can be steep but the satisfaction of tuning your own equipment and having confidence in your setup is priceless. I just tuned my bow @ home and am stacking broadheads with field points out to 80yds again.