What Would YOU Do

Long Cut

WKR
Off season tinkering here..

I’m mainly a Southern Bowhunter, but I’ll break out a rifle every now and again. Primarily hunting Georgia where my shots are 10-350 yards and I can walk anywhere from 100 yards to 1.5 miles in some cases hunting WMA’s.

I currently have a Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 with a 3-12x44 Bushnell Nitro scope. The setup cost me less than $500 and suits me quite well.. Buts it’s heavy.

I’m looking for a lightweight, 6.5 CM run & gun rifle to hunt WMA’s. Preferably a cheaper rifle as it’s goimg to be used and abused. The CVA Scout single shot really catches my eye..

Any other lightweight, cheaper rifle options in 6.5 CM?

( I’ve got an abundance of reloading equipment for 6.5 CM or else I’d be seeking a different caliber.)

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Hunter in 6.5? Not too expensive and there are a couple threads on here to give you an idea of finished weight once you pull the gel from the stock.

Not sure what you consider “lightweight” but I bought a browning a bolt pretty cheap. Super nice to carry and very accurate. I think it was under $400 with tax.

TxxAgg

WKR
Get this and call it a day

Everything about it from the barrel, trigger, action, and stock make it worth the extra $200 over the Ruger. It's still short enough and light enough to carry anywhere.

I second the Tikka. The quality is just that much better and easily justifies the $200 more.

tikka or kimber hunter are my 2 suggestions... the savage lightweight storm is another good option, we have one in 6.5 and it's stupid accurate with about any ammo, and it's really light and handy... won't win any beauty contests, but it certainly fits your criteria, and they seem to have very reliable accuracy... they are like tikka in that regard, picky ones are incredibly rare

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tikka are good and all, but if you aren’t picky, go handle a bunch of them at the gun stores and look at pawn shops. So many are gonna shoot just fine. A buddy picked up a Sauer, not a Sig Sauer, and I was impressed. Manufacturing is such that it is hard to find a bad rifle these days IMO unless you get really picky.

Tikka actually qualifies as a nice quality rifle. The ruger American is more the workin mans rig but they sure can shoot. A buds 6.5 cm cloverleafs hornady and he’s more than happy. You’ll not go wrong with those two options.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka are good and all, but if you aren’t picky, go handle a bunch of them at the gun stores and look at pawn shops. So many are gonna shoot just fine. A buddy picked up a Sauer, not a Sig Sauer, and I was impressed. Manufacturing is such that it is hard to find a bad rifle these days IMO unless you get really picky.
I'm also a big fan of Tikka. I would also suggest a Mauser M18. This is an even more affordable alternative to the Sauer 100 or Tikka and should shoot lights out just like them too! Mausers and Sauers are made in the same factory and I believe use the same barrels... just like Tikkas and Sakos do!

Savage makes a few diff models. I bought the storm in 6.5 CM and love it a lot. I have the lightweight storm. Almost went Tikka but didn’t.

I've been very happy with the Winchester XPR as a budget rifle.

They're so solidly built—as opposed to those rifles you hold that just feel cheap. Mine has held up to tons of abuse and crazy weather and still holds zero.

Beyond durability, the trigger system is crisp and clean. It's just too easy of a gun to recommend.

Savage Lightweight Storm. Accurate, light, and highly maneuverable in thick vegetation.

Seen online for under $600.