What would you do?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have pretty much made up my mind on my plans, but just wanted to see what a few other mule deer nuts think.

This weekend I went into an area to mostly look for elk and see some effects of burns, etc. Well I wasn't expecting to find much in the way of big deer. Low and behold I find a whopper, but its the only buck that I see. This buck is in a place where I know other hunters at minimum will see him, and likely will put a stalk or two on him. I won't venture a score on this guy, but he is well above the 180 mark.

Here in lies my problem. I have one other buck that I know is going to be over the 180 mark located, and I still have one other spot to scout next Friday and Saturday. In that spot last year we located several good deer and will likely do so again this year.

I know where the first deer is living will receive a fair amount of pressure. Deer number 2, well I will be surprised if there are many hunters there as it is some of the steepest country I have found mule deer in. Spot three I won't have answers for until this weekend.

Which buck would you go after?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Tough call. I would go for the specific deer I wanted, and see what happens with other hunters.

The nice thing is you have plenty of backup options.

I know where the first deer is living will receive a fair amount of pressure. Deer number 2, well I will be surprised if there are many hunters there as it is some of the steepest country I have found mule deer in. Spot three I won't have answers for until this weekend.

Which buck would you go after?

I would check out the 3rd spot just to rule it out. I would then make an educated decision based on all of the info.

It the 3rd spot is a bust and if deer number 2 is in an area that you feel wont receive pressure I would focus on deer number 1 the first few days and see if you cant get an arrow into him. You always have deer number 2 in the back pocket.

I would go with the buck YOU want to kill. If its buck number one and the buck gets to much pressure or killed by another hunter you have a good fall back plan with buck number 2.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to kind of muddy the waters.....

I had to see the buck I looked at last weekend again. I didn't find him exactly where he was before, but his location this time kind of showed just how smart he is. He now has a buddy with him, who isn't that big, 140-150, but helped with a size comparison. A couple of times he kept looking up the hill as well, even when his buddy was with him so I am wondering what else was with him.

Any guesses on score. To help with the ballpark guess, he is likely between 27-28 wide, and his other side is almost symmetrical with one major exception. He has an inline coming up between the two forks that is just as tall.

Attachments

• Big Deer 2.jpg
    Big Deer 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 49

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would hunt the one you would most like to harvest.....As far as score, to tough to calculate off of that picture, but he is a solid buck none the less.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am not looking for a specific score, I am just making sure that I am not crazy to think he is pushing 190. His other side is pretty much a perfect match with the exception of the inline coming between the ma front and rear forks.

He is one tough dude to get pictures of because he is constantly moving in the trees and stays in the shadows as best he can.

All this said, I talked with my partner this morning and we are set on hunting this guy. I have one, maybe two more opportunities before the 15th to keep some tabs on him. I may have one chance with a bow in hand, my hope is that the elk hunters who have their bows don't see him before rifle opens.

I am not looking for a specific score, I am just making sure that I am not crazy to think he is pushing 190. His other side is pretty much a perfect match with the exception of the inline coming between the ma front and rear forks.

I hear ya. If you like him then hunt him. It's just near impossible to even throw out an educated guess. Can't see how long the main beams are, if he has brow tines or really even how heavy he is.

I'm sure there are a pile of guys better at field judging slightly fuzzy field photos of deer a long ways away though and maybe they'll chime in here:D

All that matters is if you like him. Nothing wrong with killing any mature high country buck.