what would you get first?

MattB

WKR
Shop for boots now to ensure you get the rights ones. Buy fit, not brand. This will give you time to react if the first ones you buy do not work for you.

You can buy the pack later, 4 months from now is not August.

Craig4791

WKR
I would get the boots first. Then you can continue to save and break them in before the season starts. I'm sure there will be more good deals popping up for used Kifaru packs as more guys switch to the bikini frame and high camp.

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
No question I would spend the money on the boots. Poor fitting boots can ruin your hunt... the pack, not so much.

If I were in your shoes, I would take my Camptrails frame into Barneys the next time you are in Anchorage and have Barneys install their full suspension. The Barneys frame was built on a Camptrails jig, so it will bolt right up and will SERIOUSLY upgrade the comfort level. With the lightweight Moose bag, the whole thing should clock in <5 lbs.

Recall that many famous and successful sheep hunters used those Camptrails packs in the not so distant past, including Tony Russ. Also, although the Kifaru packs have been on the market for decades now, 90% of sheep guides still use frame packs for some reason. You wouldn't really be compromising in any significant way with a Barneys/Camptrails hybrid. And you would have good boots. :)

Yk

I might do that but would probably get the frame as well and use my camp trail bag. I emailed them yesterday after I read this and they said the cost for the suspension is only $60 less than the frame with suspension and that they couldn't guarantee that they have a suspension in stock.

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing the camp trails pack in a pic in one of tony Russ's books.

I might do that but would probably get the frame as well and use my camp trail bag. I emailed them yesterday after I read this and they said the cost for the suspension is only $60 less than the frame with suspension and that they couldn't guarantee that they have a suspension in stock.

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing the camp trails pack in a pic in one of tony Russ's books.

If you do that and decide to switch to a different pack at a later date, you will have zero trouble selling the Barneys frame in Alaska. About the only physical differences between the Barneys frame and the Camptrails frame is the paint and the fact that the Barneys has one additional crossbar. The my Camptrails frame comes in about 7 oz less, so I just swap it in to save the weight.

Tony (and others) used the Camptrails because they were much lighter than the Barneys. A Barneys with a big cordura bag comes in at +/-8.5 lbs. A stock Camptrails is < 4.5 lb (assuming the top bar and shelf have been tossed on both). The drawbacks are that the Camptrails has a smaller bag, so you will end up strapping something to the bottom of the frame, and of course the suspensions really aren't comparable comfort wise.

Yk

Yk

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
If you do that and decide to switch to a different pack at a later date, you will have zero trouble selling the Barneys frame in Alaska. About the only physical differences between the Barneys frame and the Camptrails frame is the paint and the fact that the Barneys has one additional crossbar. The my Camptrails frame comes in about 7 oz less, so I just swap it in to save the weight.

Tony (and others) used the Camptrails because they were much lighter than the Barneys. A Barneys with a big cordura bag comes in at +/-8.5 lbs. A stock Camptrails is < 4.5 lb (assuming the top bar and shelf have been tossed on both). The drawbacks are that the Camptrails has a smaller bag, so you will end up strapping something to the bottom of the frame, and of course the suspensions really aren't comparable comfort wise.

Yk

Yk

Thanks YK lots of good info. I should be up in Fairbanks the end of the month if it would work out we could meet up and I'll buy you a beer.

Rocky

WKR
Anyone want to loan me $200 :D. Seriously I considered ordering the pack first however I don't have the money to pull the trigger quite yet and I was told kifaru dings your card up front. If they waited until it was ready to ship it would be as much of an issue. I am not opposed to getting used either and upgrading later.

I'm ordering my pack this week. I have been told that kifaru will let you make payments. Maybe this will help you make your decision.

Rocky

WKR
I'm also a fan of Meindl for boots. One thing a would recommend would be to replace the inserts with cork inserts for what ever boot you decide on.