what would you get first?

Floorguy

WKR
OK so I am pretty much starting from scratch for the upcoming year. My next big purchase will either be a new pack or boots. The pack will be a kifaru the boots will be either Lowas or something similar. Right now I have enough for the boots but am @$200 shy of ordering the pack. I am thinking get the boots so that I can break them in and then just save up for the pack. If I don't have the pack by the time sheep opens I will just get by with my Camp Trails freighter frame and moose bag.

bbrown

WKR
I would say boots - sounds like you already have a pack that will work for the time being. Make sure you try on lots of different brands of boots if possible - Lowas are good just make sure they work for you if you have not used them before.
Also, once you know what you want and have tried them on check out some of the online places like sierra trading post. Can save you a lot of cash.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definately go with the boots. Your feet are one of your more valuable assets to keep you going day in and day out. Protect them and they will serve you well.

I had a Camp Trails freighter frame back in the day, carried a ton of weight in it and eventually bent the pins that hold the arm straps on. It was a pretty good pack and should get you thru. I also recommend getting the boots, and saving up for the pack.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
wrong! order the pack now due to its long wait time of 4 months, most people spend more than they admit on here so I bet you can still afford the boots in time to break them in

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Order the pack now! Then buy some Hanwags, very little break in time.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the boots, and get a used pack off the classifieds. Tons of barely used packs at great prices with no wait.

Lorne

sk1

WKR
The reason I say get the pack first is the wait time kifaru can have, especially closer to the season.....you can break in boots pretty quick with a little effort and most likely wont have to wait a long time once you order them

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Order the pack now, boots later. Like others mentioned the wait for the pack takes awhile, plus you might need to do some fine tuning to the pack, ie. change stays, waist belts or what have you to get it perfect.

bobhunts

WKR
Kifaru packs are not that far out as one would believe after reading this. But that could change in days? I ordered mine after going up and seeing what I really wanted from Aron and my ship date will be in early April. I ordered my pack when I got home on December 31. I have no idea as to how that will change with more people ordering after getting there tags of a lifetime? But I will say if you can afford both before you hunt order the pack now and the boots can be bought later. Bob.

sk1

WKR
Kifaru packs are not that far out as one would believe after reading this. But that could change in days? I ordered mine after going up and seeing what I really wanted from Aron and my ship date will be in early April. I ordered my pack when I got home on December 31. I have no idea as to how that will change with more people ordering after getting there tags of a lifetime? But I will say if you can afford both before you hunt order the pack now and the boots can be bought later. Bob.

you're right, they arent that far out.....but if he spends his saved cash on boots and has to re-save up for a pack, depending on how long that takes.....it may be too late if he wants a kifaru pack for next season. although he mentioned he has another pack, so if that one is good enough then going boots first would be fine

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
Anyone want to loan me $200 :D. Seriously I considered ordering the pack first however I don't have the money to pull the trigger quite yet and I was told kifaru dings your card up front. If they waited until it was ready to ship it would be as much of an issue. I am not opposed to getting used either and upgrading later.

Ozz08

WKR
Hmm....tough call. Normally I'd say get the boots first but like others have said the wait time on a kifaru will give you time to order the pack first and then save to get the boots about the same time the pack is ready. The other thought is that boots (especially when ordering) can be a major process. Breaking in boots doesn't take that long. The problem could be actually finding the boots that fit YOU properly. Ordering, sending back, ordering again, trying different boots.....that in itself could take longer than the wait on a kifaru pack. I'm pretty lucky that I can wear just about any boot(in the right size of course) and not harm my feet. I've never had a blister from a pair of boots. Even backpacking with a brand new pair right out of the box has never injured my feet. I've had boots that didn't feel as good as others but never any blisters or other crippling affects from any boot. Not everyone is that lucky. If you know for sure what boot will work for your feet then I would say go ahead and order the pack first. If you aren't sure what boots will work or you are prone to blisters or sore feet from footwear then I would take the time to find the right boots for your feet first.

Lawnboi

WKR
Whatever boots you decide to get wait till theres a deal going on, boots can be had at pretty steep discounts all the time, just have to be patient.

I paid a little over 200 for my lowa tibets. Lowa makes a good boot, they seem to fit me pretty well

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd say try on as many varieites as possible now before committing to any brand of pack or boots. Just cause something works for someone else doesn't mean its the best for you....

Right now I have enough for the boots but am @$200 shy of ordering the pack. I am thinking get the boots so that I can break them in and then just save up for the pack. If I don't have the pack by the time sheep opens I will just get by with my Camp Trails freighter frame and moose bag.

No question I would spend the money on the boots. Poor fitting boots can ruin your hunt... the pack, not so much.

If I were in your shoes, I would take my Camptrails frame into Barneys the next time you are in Anchorage and have Barneys install their full suspension. The Barneys frame was built on a Camptrails jig, so it will bolt right up and will SERIOUSLY upgrade the comfort level. With the lightweight Moose bag, the whole thing should clock in <5 lbs.

Recall that many famous and successful sheep hunters used those Camptrails packs in the not so distant past, including Tony Russ. Also, although the Kifaru packs have been on the market for decades now, 90% of sheep guides still use frame packs for some reason. You wouldn't really be compromising in any significant way with a Barneys/Camptrails hybrid. And you would have good boots. :)

Yk