What would you guys do: shoplifters

Status
Not open for further replies.

3forks

WKR
I’m sure you guys have seen that it’s becoming common for shoplifters to load up a ton of product and walk out of a store basically without being stopped or challenged.

I know stores don’t want the liability of having their employees try to intervene, and I also know that DAs won’t prosecute for theft under a certain amount, and as a result, police won’t respond or are not prioritizing the crime.

Tonight, I was walking with my wife and toddler out of a store, and a younger guy comes out of the Sierra Trading Post next door with several baskets of merchandise and is trying to load it all into a waiting car. The thief has his back turned to me as he’s rushing to shove shit into the car’s backseat. I’m carrying my toddler, and I start to hand her to my wife and she tells me “just don’t”, because she knew I was planning to intervene.

I would have loved to spear tackle this guy into the side of this car, but even before my wife was telling me not to do anything, I was thinking to myself that I should not intervene. We live in a Denver suburb, and really only have petty crime in our town, but things seem to escalate so quickly anymore. I cannot stand crime, and would take action against something like this, but people/criminals seem to be getting more erratic and volatile. In the moment, I was thinking not to endanger my family or anyone else around by intervening, because people are getting shot so frequently anymore, but it‘s also bugging me that I didn’t do something.

Anyway, the getaway car had a temp tag on it, and the store employees mostly just acted annoyed that they were robbed. Other bystanders were just a shocked as I was, but the shoplifters got away clean with no interference.

So, what would you guys have done?

ODB

WKR
I've thought about this a lot. I wonder just how hard those guys will fight for the free shit they are stealing? I mean anything they get is a bonus - they aren't wielding guns and robbing the place, they are taking stuff because they know no one is going to stop them. I have a feeling if someone tried, they wouldn't fight for the stuff too hard...but I don't know. I have noticed in most videos no one even says a thing to them, like "What the F*&^ are you doing?" they just pull our their phones and quietly film it... dunno man... what I do know is that when certain social leaders say this type of bahaviour is a form of "social/economic justice", it will encourage it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
While the society that the kid will grow up in devolves into madness... hard to relax on that , mate...
The kid needs his Dad. Otherwise he becomes one of them. You never know what someone who is willing to steal material goods is going to do. SO not worth it. Use it as a teaching lesson, not an excuse to try and go all wanna be Rambo hero.

Mind your business. The store doesn’t care, LE in your area doesn’t care, DA doesn’t care. There’s just way too many ways that goes wrong for you for it to be worth the risk.

gbflyer

WKR
An old client of mine was a career Safeway employee. It was a good gig for him. Bay Area, good pay on nightshift. Anyway, one night he decides to be a hero and tackle a shoplifter. Dude totally kicked the ever living shit out of him. Got a few days in the hospital over it, for a company that really could care less. I think he actually even got fired.

Folks will surprise you sometimes. Best to leave it be.

They do it because they get away with it. They looted and burned businesses because they get away with it. They cry racism because they get away with it. They force vaccination mandates because they get away with it. They invite illegal aliens in because they get away with it. They try and force CRT in schools because they get away with it. See a pattern here?

You never feel bad doing the right thing! You should of done something! All you guys say otherwise, are cowards!
That’s a bit of a bold accusation. Doing something in this scenario is notifying the store and moving on. Sure, we would all love to tackle them at full speed and pile drive them into the side of the getaway car or the pavement. However, with mom and son in tow….poor judgement. No one is being harmed. A store which you have no monetary attachment to is having articles taken. Wrong yes, but not worth putting anyone in danger.

If someone is physically being harmed, yea, likely going in. Even then, you have to be aware of the potential repercussions.

I was recently at a shoe store looking at shoes for my 14 yo son. I watched two ladies stuffing their bags full of clothing while the store staff was oblivious. I could have easily taken both down, but it ain’t my job and it’s not my items being stolen. Instead, I walked up to the oblivious staff and said, “hey when you guys get done chatting it up maybe those two ladies will still be around with their bags full of your free merchandise they have stolen” and turned and walked off.

Pick your battles. In today’s political climate, you would be amazed at how you could be the guilty person for being the “Good Samaritan”. Not saying to never get involved. Just know we can’t/won’t always be viewed as hero’s.

I wouldn't have done anything given the family was present.

If I was there solo, I would probably say something and try to hold them up, but not act with any force or aggression. You just never know if someone is going to pull a pistol and start shooting and at that point you're not just endangering yourself but also others. Best case scenario, you can stall them long enough for someone to call the police and maybe get a plate number.

The stores definitely need to have employees intervene if they can catch it before making it out the door. I think it's less likely violence would start inside the store. I like what Walmart has done... Have their greeters occasionally accost people leaving for their receipt haha

Status
Not open for further replies.