What Would You Like to See From Kifaru 2019

We'll damn it looks like the pack I described might be something they're prototyping. There was a pic yesterday of an urban ruck sized pack with a forward folding lid, big side bottle pockets, and a molle panel. Ask and ye shall receive.

CC

FNG
I would like to see a light and simple setup similar to the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 that could go on the kifaru frame. With the light weight frame now, you could have a light setup, then switch over to an EMR II and have a huge setup all on the same frame. Sold my Kifaru Hunter to have a lighter setup, but not giving up on Kifaru till I see whats new....

I think a pack that looks sleek and has the same functionality of either the stone glacier 40/56 bag or Sky archer 6200 bag but on a lightweight Kifaru duplex frame would be the ultimate pack. Every kifaru bag functions well but is not really aesthetically pleasing when empty or in day mode and can be a PITA to use the meat shelf. Essentially, I think stone glacier has the perfect philosophy between lightweight, durability, ease of use, and looks but nothing compares to the comfort of a kifaru belt and frame imo. I want to see a company combine the best of both worlds.

I think the muskeg bag was close to being right but the meat shelf was an afterthought. I think it could be improved greatly by a full integration of a meat shelf into the frame as an option, similar to Stone Glacier, and be able to adjust it depending on the size of load so you can change where the majority of the weight is centered on the frame.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'd like to see Kifaru make a pack that was actually light....ya know, like the kind of pack a girly hippy would like?

I spotted a typo in your post, don't worry, I fixed it for you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Haha bsnedeker! That's kinda funny.....kinda. I've tried a couple Kifaru packs the last few years. 5 to 8 day trips. They are comfortable, haul weight well, but are just heavy compared to Stone Glacier or Seek Outside. For early season I can easily have a 7-8 lb base weight, but most Kifaru packs with a lid and belt pouches are that weight empty. Feel free to expound on the justifications for carrying 2 to 4 lbs extra weight in an empty pack, I'm gonna go make some popcorn!

bsnedeker

WKR
Haha bsnedeker! That's kinda funny.....kinda. I've tried a couple Kifaru packs the last few years. 5 to 8 day trips. They are comfortable, haul weight well, but are just heavy compared to Stone Glacier or Seek Outside. For early season I can easily have a 7-8 lb base weight, but most Kifaru packs with a lid and belt pouches are that weight empty. Feel free to expound on the justifications for carrying 2 to 4 lbs extra weight in an empty pack, I'm gonna go make some popcorn!
My man you just answered your own question. Kifaru packs, in my opinion, are the most comfortable and haul weight better than any other pack I've tried. To me that is well worth an extra two or three pounds. I'm a full grown man and train all year long with the weight i plan to carry during hunting season so I'm not worried about it.

If getting an ultralight pack is the deciding factor for you, great, you have options other than kifaru as you well know. Kifaru isn't marketing or making products for you and this seems to bother you for some reason...it shouldn't.

Merry Christmas!

HookUp

WKR
I'd like to see Kifaru make a pack that was actually light....ya know, like the kind of pack a backcountry hunter would like?

The fad for lighter packs is driven by the race from the trail head and against hunter athletes on performance enhancing powders wearing aero dynamically correct flat brims.

Speed cross shoes are replacing hiking boots. If you want to wear a Kifaru you may have to lug an extra pound or two or three. Your hunt coach personal conditioner will have to factor this into your training and diet regime.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
The fad for lighter packs is driven by the race from the trail head and against hunter athletes on performance enhancing powders wearing aero dynamically correct flat brims.

Speed cross shoes are replacing hiking boots. If you want to wear a Kifaru you may have to lug an extra pound or two or three. Your hunt coach personal conditioner will have to factor this into your training and diet regime.

This had me literally lol'ing...excellent! You are like the 'slide's own personal David Foster Wallace.

WKR
Heck I still like everything about my Mountain Warrior pack. Guys at Kifaru are doing a great job. I may start using that pack for my upland hunts in the west. I drag along a variety of first aid things for the dog. Lot of water for the dog depending on temps. I shoot for crap so more than average shotgun shells.

Other than using my mtn warrior for a bird hunting vest, I'd love to see a setup for western upland hunters from Kifaru. Not sure how it would integrate to a frame but that is for them to figure out.

My man you just answered your own question. Kifaru packs, in my opinion, are the most comfortable and haul weight better than any other pack I've tried. To me that is well worth an extra two or three pounds. I'm a full grown man and train all year long with the weight i plan to carry during hunting season so I'm not worried about it.

If getting an ultralight pack is the deciding factor for you, great, you have options other than kifaru as you well know. Kifaru isn't marketing or making products for you and this seems to bother you for some reason...it shouldn't.

Merry Christmas!

Congrats on being a "full grown man". Good job! I bet all that training at those dizzying Minnesota altitudes makes you a pretty insane hunter. Merry Christmas to you too!

bsnedeker

WKR
Congrats on being a "full grown man". Good job! I bet all that training at those dizzying Minnesota altitudes makes you a pretty insane hunter. Merry Christmas to you too!

I have never made any claims about my hunting ability. I train to the best of my ability based on my location which limits me to stairmasters and inclined treadmills with my fully-weighted pack which I agree is certainly not ideal. I'll be moving my family to Montana this year though and I'm extremely excited about the training and scouting I'll be able to do in the near future.

And yet, even with living in the flatlands, during my two western hunts to Montana this year (10 days of archery and 10 days of rifle) the weight of my pack never bothered me so whatever I'm doing seems to be working for me. My pack was extremely comfortable and I was able to pack out two rear quarters from a cow and all of my other gear in one trip. I know ultralight packs work for a lot of guys, it's just not my preference and it is the primary reason I chose a Kifaru over the competition.

What's really funny to me is you never see anyone bitching about how Stone Glacier or EXO should make a heavier pack that is more comfortable and hauls weight better, and yet every SG and EXO fan boy seems to want Kifaru to become a carbon copy of those companies. Choice makes the world go 'round my friend!

You are absolutely correct. I have nothing against Kifaru. I have used the packs and been impressed with them in some respects. I just think it's entertaining to ruffle the feathers on fanboy's sometimes regardless of the brand. The last ten or so years I've learned that I might be loyal to a brand, but they are most certainly not loyal to me. Lots of long stories there for another day. Congrats on the Montana move, you'll love it. I live in the big game mecca of Idaho, yet I still head to Montana for spot and stalk black bear each year. It's that good.

bsnedeker

WKR
Good natured ribbing is always appreciated in my book!

As much as I'm addicted to elk, I'm almost more excited about Spring bear. Here in MN it's all hunting over bait deep in the woods which doesn't really appeal to me. I can't get there soon enough!