What would you pick for a first time Muzzle Loader?

So I've been looking through the options and keep coming back to the CVA Wolf, Optima, and Accura....clearly differences between the 3, is it worth the extra money to save for the Accura being new to it all? Is it that much of a leap over the Wolf? I understand Accura has the Bergara barrel, which is clearly better made, but other than that, should it function pretty closely? Any other recommendations for simplicity of maintenance/cleaning?

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Optima last year and it is lights out. The scope that came with mine is useable but will definitely get upgraded this spring. I am also going to make the move away from pellets to BH 209 powder.

OP
T
I bought the Optima last year and it is lights out. The scope that came with mine is useable but will definitely get upgraded this spring. I am also going to make the move away from pellets to BH 209 powder.
I've read that it's better to put the money towards a quality scope vs the one in the packages....does the rifle with rings come with the ability to add iron sights?

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Mine came drilled and tapped and also came with a crappy plastic iron sight to use. I think the thumb hole stock model doesn’t come drilled and tapped because the comb height is too high for irons anyway.

Gophs

FNG
I have an optima v2 with the nitride barrel. It came with iron sights, but was drilled and and tapped for a scope mount. I would go that route and get a better scope than one in the package deal. This was my first muzzy so can’t compare to others, but absolutely zero complaints on the optima.

OP
T
I have an optima v2 with the nitride barrel. It came with iron sights, but was drilled and and tapped for a scope mount. I would go that route and get a better scope than one in the package deal. This was my first muzzy so can’t compare to others, but absolutely zero complaints on the optima.
What made you choose the Optima over others if I might ask. Is there a big benefit to the Nitride vs Stainless steel?

I have had 4 and they all shot good. I think it just depends on what features you want. I think the break actions are easy to use and clean. If you want something light weight look at the Knight UL or for less money the Traditions G4. I have both and they both do fine. My wife shoots a TC Impact that she shoots well. I had an Accura that was good as well.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a TC Impact and went 3/3 w it this past season. Incredibly accurate w iron sights. One was a 105 yard shot sitting on my butt in some tall grass and the rifle propped on my knee.
I'm shooting Barnes 290 grain T-EZ w 105 volume of BlackHorn 209.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I would get one like Gophs. I was in a time crunch for a muzzleloader hunt and was lucky to find the one that I got. I would prefer the nitride. If I was shopping now I would probably get a nitride .45 caliber of some sort with just the scope mount. I don’t need iron sights. I’ll play with mine some in the spring and decide if I’m keeping it or not. It shoots great at 100 yards but I want to see what it will do to 200-250ish and go from there.

I would get one like Gophs. I was in a time crunch for a muzzleloader hunt and was lucky to find the one that I got. I would prefer the nitride. If I was shopping now I would probably get a nitride .45 caliber of some sort with just the scope mount. I don’t need iron sights. I’ll play with mine some in the spring and decide if I’m keeping it or not. It shoots great at 100 yards but I want to see what it will do to 200-250ish and go from there.
If you want to hunt elk get a .50.

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

Used a Thompson Center Omega to take 3 whitetails this fall. Also have several Knights.

The newer CVA's are a little bit better quality than the older ones were but still let the old adage of "you get what you pay for" ring true, at least the ones that I have worked on. Some are really good shooters and others I have had a hard time keeping on paper at 50 yards. The Accura is far better than the wolf from the ones that I have handled.

OP
T
Welcome to the forum.

Used a Thompson Center Omega to take 3 whitetails this fall. Also have several Knights.

The newer CVA's are a little bit better quality than the older ones were but still let the old adage of "you get what you pay for" ring true, at least the ones that I have worked on. Some are really good shooters and others I have had a hard time keeping on paper at 50 yards. The Accura is far better than the wolf from the ones that I have handled.
Any suggestions you'd have in the sub 300 range? I noticed the Wolf seemed to be the cheapest, next to buckstalkers, the thing that stood out to me about CVA was the simplicity of breaking it down, but not sure if it'd be all that much more complicated with the other brands either.

Gophs

FNG
What made you choose the Optima over others if I might ask. Is there a big benefit to the Nitride vs Stainless steel?
Great price and great reviews online. Definitely better reviews than the wolf, so I would only lean that way if your budget is tight. I found mine in the cabela’s bargain cave for a steal so I didn’t get a chance to look at other brands so I’m no help there.

I don’t know if nitride is better than stainless but I like the peace of mind with the extra protection.

Lytro

WKR
I went with an Optima v2 this past year after using a Remington Genesis every few years since about 2005. I bought the Optima v2 because I wanted a nitride barrel, a break action, and partly because it's what Fleet Farm had in stock at the time and they offer a 10% military discount. I wasn't going to spend over $500 on a muzzleloader I'll likely only use for one tag a year, or possibly only every few years. I did replace the breech plug to shoot BH209, which is really stupid not to do. SD doesn't allow magnified optics, so I mounted a vortex single power muzzleloader scope on an EABCO peep rib. The Optima ended up exceeding my expectations in this setup shooting 250 gr Hornady SST's. I killed a great muley with a complete pass through quartering towards at 167 yards kneeling with a shooting stick.

van zan

FNG
My recommedation would be an inline. I bought a savage ML10 years ago. I have enjoyed it and taken several deer but have since graduated to flintlocks for meat hunting. Had the pleasure of working with Tip Curtis before he passed. We sat down and designed a smooth bore 54 caliber. I use it with shot and round ball. I am white tail moa at 70 yards and turkey hunt with heavi shot. 54 caliber = 28 gauge. Have to get em in close for a humane kill. Hevi will scar your barrel so I bought some 28 gauge shells and took them apart to use the cup and shot. I shot a few to pattern the load and only shoot once or twice a year after that. Use lead for squirrels.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first muzzleloader 17yrs ago only one I've ever bought pretty much only firearm I hunt with. Nickle barrel .54 cal knight put my buddies thumb hole stock off the knight he had when he passed away

Fordguy

WKR
I'm going to buck the trend here and suggest an old sidelock 50 cal with patched round balls. Is it the most accurate? No. Is it more than accurate enough. Absolutely (or at least it should be). I learned a lot starting out with a sidelock. Keep the shots close, know your gun and know your ability with it. Practice. 100 yard shots are very possible with a round ball. I still like hunting with a patched round ball more than a sabot over a hot load of loose powder. I never used a flintlock (mostly because I couldn't afford one) but I feel like there are lessons to be learned with the old stuff that people take for granted with all the new inline modern (simplified) muzzle loaders. I do hunt with a cva optima these days, and I like it, it just doesn't feel as personal as my old sidelock(s)
For me, it's just more fun. Maybe its nostalgia, or maybe I'm going senile...

OP
T
I'm going to buck the trend here and suggest an old sidelock 50 cal with patched round balls. Is it the most accurate? No. Is it more than accurate enough. Absolutely (or at least it should be). I learned a lot starting out with a sidelock. Keep the shots close, know your gun and know your ability with it. Practice. 100 yard shots are very possible with a round ball. I still like hunting with a patched round ball more than a sabot over a hot load of loose powder. I never used a flintlock (mostly because I couldn't afford one) but I feel like there are lessons to be learned with the old stuff that people take for granted with all the new inline modern (simplified) muzzle loaders. I do hunt with a cva optima these days, and I like it, it just doesn't feel as personal as my old sidelock(s)
For me, it's just more fun. Maybe its nostalgia, or maybe I'm going senile...
I'm not entirely against the more traditional muzzleloaders, I do find the nostalgia piece of it to be more interesting, but the ones I have seen have all been $500+ whereas I'm trying to just get into this mostly to vary my hunting season from just using my compound bow....not sure if I'm ready for that investment while figuring out whether muzzleloading is for me or not. I stopped in at a LGS yesterday and they showed me some really nice sidelocks with beautiful woodwork....but that was way over my price, it did peak my interest a bit haha!

Lowdeuce

FNG
I just kept mine simple. 50 cal CVA wolf with a Nikon inline XR scope. Shooting 245 grain powerbelts with 100g Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets and Triple 7 209 primers. Have to copper brush the barrel about every third shot otherwise you can't fully seat the bullet due to the crud ring. Pulled the 3rd shot but the other 3 seemed pretty good at 100yrds.

Attachments

• 20201223_095229[1].jpg
    20201223_095229[1].jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 5