What wouldnt you shoot in NA with a .308 inside 400yds?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
In the day and age of Monster mags... ( I own a few )

What wouldn't you hunt/shoot inside 400yds with an accurate .308 shooting 180gr Nosler Partitions.

I am just curious with what other peoples experiences with the load are.

hodgeman

WKR
I hunted for a long time with a .308WIN and never found it lacking. Truthfully, there's not much I wouldn't hunt with that combo. Most of my .308 experience is with plain old Corelokts...so a Partition is a definite step up.

I'd opt for more on a bison and I wouldn't want to ferret a griz out of a alder thicket with it, but for the general run of game, a good shooting .308 will definitely work.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The others pretty much summed it up, other than bison or very large bears the 308 is a very effective round.

I also own a few magnums but they don't go out nearly as often as the 308 or 30-06 does, heck, my 6.5creed goes out more often than my magnums. 308 and 30-06 are my all around favorite cartridges for what I do, sheep, moose, caribou, occasionally blacktails and goats.

OXN939

WKR
In the day and age of Monster mags... ( I own a few )

What wouldn't you hunt/shoot inside 400yds with an accurate .308 shooting 180gr Nosler Partitions.

I am just curious with what other peoples experiences with the load are.

Nothing. If everyone shot the .308 combo Luke mentions above rather than big belted magnums that terrify their owners, there would be fewer wounded and unrecovered game animals every year as a result of the greater average accuracy.

My 7mm-08s are the most powerful rifles I've hunted with in years.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from the above, I don't know as I'd want to try and part the hair of Muskox with one

mcseal2

WKR
I still like my 300 win mag but cant argue with any of the above. I like the longer mpbr for quck shots as much as anything. Im just used to it between that and my 264.

Rob5589

WKR
I wouldn't use it for cottontails, squirrel, etc, if wanting to eat em 😁

Other than that, everything else is good to go. Personally, I would stay at or under 200ish for big bears.

Jon Boy

WKR
Funny thing is the trolling side of me when asked about this in person and someone tells me a 20" barrel 308 and 200 grain accubond or whatever isn't enough at 300 yards after I think it is, I revert to yeah I should likely just go to a 24" 300 WM or the like so I can be effective out to 600 yards and beyond then they agree with that. Never ceases to make me smile. :)

That said I do still own a 300 WSM....though its hard to justify why I will admit.

I use the same argument with 7/08 and 7mm rem mag. Itd blow some peoples minds if you compared the two side by side with comparable barrel lengths and bullet weights with a chronograph. Personally the small velocity gain isnt worth the large amount of powder or recoil for the latter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Heck my boss shot his with a 30-30 lever gun.

Yeah I was going to mention how Many people seem to hunt them with handguns. The guy I know who used his 270 got his luggage lost and ended up shooting random 130g federal Ammo he got there and had no trouble.

bhylton

WKR
270win with a 150 cup and core or 130gr mono would be right there with the 308 / 180g in my mind. both very capable and sometimes underrated

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t think I would shoot a grizzly or nilgai with a 308 at any we’re close to 400 yards.

sram9102

WKR
This makes me think of Aron Snyder passing off the bow for a rifle on his grizzly hunt he's discussed alot on kifarucast. If I remember correctly he shot his with a 308 with a fairly short barrel at 500+. The bullet is the main factor at any decent distance with a 308. You could kill anything in the country with a 308 at 400 yards...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
So many trendy cartridges out there now. As a fan/owner of the .308, this thread makes me happy.

Buzby

WKR
I was recently in the market for a lightweight rifle. I already had one .308, so that was my initial choice. I’ve always thought .308 was “adequate.” Then I started thinking, why settle for adequate, and get something that would offer more performance. I looked at ballistic charts for probably 2 weeks. The numbers just weren’t worth the trade offs. Longer, heavier actions, increased recoil, increased costs, decreased availability. The gains in MPBR or energy just weren’t game changers. I now have a second .308

Rich M

WKR
Buzby said it - the ballistics don't change that much.

A 150 out of a 308 is great, 165 solid, 180 good, 200/220 doable. Not much can escape that kind of flexibility.

Told a buddy to get a 308 or 7mm/08 this year and he got a 308. No need to go with a "magnum" if you are shooting less than 400 yards.

OXN939

WKR
I was recently in the market for a lightweight rifle. I already had one .308, so that was my initial choice. I’ve always thought .308 was “adequate.” Then I started thinking, why settle for adequate, and get something that would offer more performance. I looked at ballistic charts for probably 2 weeks. The numbers just weren’t worth the trade offs. Longer, heavier actions, increased recoil, increased costs, decreased availability. The gains in MPBR or energy just weren’t game changers. I now have a second .308

This.