What’s a good age to introduce kids to fire arms?

Felix2313

FNG
I have a 5 year old who sees me cleaning, prepping and upgrading my firearms and I answer all his questions but haven’t taken him shooting yet. What are your thoughts should I take him with me next time or I he still to young ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
I've been shooting black birds and plinking around my kid ever since he's old enough to stand. He's now just over 2 carries a stick around that he uses to "shoot blackbirds". Only bad part is if you ask him if he got it, he says "no i missed him, just like dada". Great. Just great.

I use the CCI quiet 22 rounds so he doesn't need to wear hearing protection or anything and it doesn't scare him. In fact, he shot it for the first time when he was probably 1 1/2, of course with my help. Start them young, doesn't hurt them any.

2britts

FNG
Absolutely take him, but be aware it should be about him enjoying himself more than you shooting. When you introduce young kids to this stuff you need to go at their pace and keep it fun for them. When they loose interest in the outing quit before it gets tedious otherwise you'll risk turning them off.

OP
Felix2313

Felix2313

FNG
Awesome! Both of you make excellent points thank you!

I started with my oldest when he was 4 with a pellet rifle and a .22. I just took one of my 6 year old twins to shoot the 22 for his first time last weekend.

I did a little safety talk at the house when i pulled the .22 out of the safe and explained where the muzzle should always be pointed, treat a gun like it's loaded, finger off the trigger and then i setup a rest and let each one of them shoulder the rifle just to see how well they were listening. We also go over what to do if they ever find a gun.

Then in the truck right before we walk into the range, i explain that they need to stay within an arms reach of me and not touch the weapon unless told to. And as mentioned above by 2britts, make it fun and get excited when they make a good shot and don't focus on all the mechanics of shooting. It can be hard at times for them not to follow all of the directions and tips, but as long as they staying safe, let them have fun and the accuracy will get better with time and experience.

With 3 boys all at shooting age, i'm trying to make it a point to get individual time with them and take them to the range so they become more comfortable shooting and get some one on one time.

Good luck and have fun.

mcr-85

WKR
This one is 3 years old. I had my oldest running the camera so its short and sweet. My kids are brought up around guns. I prefer having a single shot, or load one bullet at a time if the gun holds more than one. My 3 year old got his first little bb gun a couple months ago for his birthday. This is a .223 that he was shooting with a little reflex sight. He was hitting the target at around 50 yards with it. I don't think he hit in on the shot in the video but if you ask him he did. :)

IMG_20200703_175353.jpg

IMG_20200703_201828.jpg

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I got my first .410 when I was 6, but started shooting .22's when I was 4, and bb/pellet guns before I can remember. I made the jump to a 20 gauge when I was 9.

tuffcity

WKR
All mine started shooting .22's at 5. Go for it! They do like to use up a lot of ammo though... :D

Mind you, now in their 20's they still use up a lot of my ammo... especially my 9mm....(hmmmmm, maybe don't get him started. lol)

OP
Felix2313

Felix2313

FNG
Thanks this is all very helpful!!!

Started my oldest kids (31 and 32 years old) on a 20 gauge shotgun..... should have had them using .410 and 22 cal at 5 or 6....... both turned out pretty well...... youngest is now 10, she began BB gun at an NRA club when she was 6....... been working with re-curve bow and arrow....... will start the 22 later this summer....... kind of letting her get her footing and see what direction she wants...... took the Ohio hunter safety course with her this past spring - she is pumped to get out........ should be lots of fun!!!! Take their time...... and yours!!!

God Bless

rayporter

WKR
i know things are not the same now days as back when. i had a 22 when i was 5 and by 6 i was out by myself with it. got a 20 ga in second grade when i was 7, dad did not believe in the 410. i have never shot a 410.
in third grad 3 of us country boys would brag about who shot the most squirrels the day before-city kids did not believe us.

we had a BB gun but i could not touch it till i was maybe 13. reason being, if i shot a dog or cow pop would find out.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I had a .410 at age 7 and shot my first duck that year with it too. My dad was in close supervision of course. Around age 5 I had my first BB gun and before that a toy pop gun. My father was very adamant about teaching me gun safety (his dad taught the local gun safety course for 45 years). From the pop gun to the .410, it was always the same gun safety rules.
I think 5 is a great age to introduce kids to shooting as well as proper gun safety and gun handling. Make it fun but make sure you're firm on the expectations for proper handling.

I started both my daughters at 3 with Cricket .22s and it was probably a little early but they both were mature for their age... I have seen 10 year olds I wouldn't take shooting also... its an individual kid that determines how old.
Soon I'll be taking my grandsons, they will be 3 this year and probably have a couple years but I'm excited to keep the tradition going.

I have a 5 year old who sees me cleaning, prepping and upgrading my firearms and I answer all his questions but haven’t taken him shooting yet. What are your thoughts should I take him with me next time or I he still to young ?

Get him out! Check out the Savage Rascal 22. My kids all love it (started shooting at 4). Use CB rounds, no ears needed.

WCB

WKR
Has he been around anyone shooting guns before? I think you know your kid best and if you think he can handle it go for it.

My 13 month old has been around shooting for the last 5 months. She loves her ear muffs and doesn't flinch or really even pay attention at all when we shoot now. I think that may be step one for you if he hasn't been around shooting just to get him acclimated to it.