What’s a good durable Kuiu Jacket?

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket that I love but it has zero durability. If I were to take it in the brush it would be ruined first trip out so it only serves me as a casual jacket. I have some Kuiu Verde camo and would like a nice Cold weather jacket that I can also get in Verde. With Kuiu being as expensive as it is it’s not really a trial and error brand if I can get away with it so would like to buy the right jacket the first time if possible. I really like the comfort and quality of my Kuiu gear. I’ve worn First Lite up until buying my first pair of Kuiu Attack pants and now I’m hooked. Best pants I’ve ever owned.

So what’s a good cold weather durable hunting Jacket. I’m not talking Arctic temps but needs to be ok into the 20-30’s.

Jacket I currently have that’s not durable for hunting.

8f7088ea757556a82e489c8143ef46be.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You want either the axis hybrid or the guide. None of their down jackets are for busting brush. One I think they would be way too hot and the material just isn't ment for it. Their puffy jackets are designed for when you just sitting and glassing.

danwolf

FNG
Yeah the puffy coats are intended to be used sitting while glassing. A really durable jacket they used to make is the Kutana soft shell, I've worn that through many miles of brush and never once has it torn on me, as well as my lightweight rain coat Chugah NX. I know people that have the guide soft shell and its held up well.

Moserkr

WKR
^^ Yup kutana hybrid 3defx jacket is the toughest, lightest they made so far. Bought on for casual wear and another for hunting. It can get caught on sharp metal and not tear…. Not quite warm enough for 20-30* though unless youre moving. Limit is 30* with a base layer, then if sitting i wear the puffy right under it. A bit snug but it feels really warm. Or sometimes i just put the puffy over the top if i plan on just sitting for a little bit the moving again.

Was not a fan of the guide dcs jacket - heavy, bulky, not as warm as the kutana.

Now that Im looking, the kenai jacket may fit the bill for you. Better features than the kutana with pit zips n more pockets, plus a hooded version. Lighter than the guide. Not sure on durability but should be warm enough for the temps you mentioned. I may have to try that one - stunner stretch fabric sounds comfy.

jd1006

WKR
The Peloton strong fleece 280 might be best for what you are planning. The retired Kutana Hybrid is basically that jacket with a small amount of insulation in the front panels. The issue with durability is it is hard to get it with insulation. If it is too insulating, you get hot on the move and then having pit zips is a requirement.

I always end up looking at a puffy vest and hardshell combo and only see the need of a puffy jacket in the those situations I will be stationary for a long time.

The ideal jacket (and it doesn’t exist to my knowledge) is the kutana hybrid with pit zips.

Blandry

WKR
I have the elements jacket and its super tough. I even work on my vehicles lying on the ground with it. I'm guessing it's probably a 70D or better shell (actually double layer 50D just verified on KUIU's site). I've also busted brush with it and no issues.

Super warm too. Just a base layer under it in 20 deg weather no problem.

It only comes in solid colors though because it's offered as a 'chore' jacket.. not problem for me as I've moved away from camo and most everything I own is ash, loden or bourbon/brown.

i'm also not a lightweight snob. I'll trade a bit of weight for durability for most of my hunting. If I was sheep hunting in AK I guess that would be a diff story ;).

Last edited:

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I have the guide and kutana gale force.
I used to own the axis hybrid until it got stolen.
I prefer the guide jacket to the axis hybrid myself. I also have a versa jacket, 240 full zip and kenai vest for layering under the guide jacket.
I think with your current super down and a guide jacket you have a ton of options for layering.
In current temps in Alberta at -15C in the mornings I am running a t shirt, versa jacket, 240 full zip and guide jacket and I am plenty warm sitting or still hunting.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Guide jacket with super down mid layer and peloton base layer and you should be toasty sitting but sweating your balls off if you’re moving

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for,the advice everyone. Gonna ask Santa for a Guide Jacket or maybe Yukon for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro