What's a Good Mobile Tree Stand Setup?

Marcjr47

FNG
I prefer lone wolf sticks. Ive used Muddy, XOP and Lone wolf, and just prefer the lone wolf. As far as stands, I run Millenium M7, Lone wolf Assualt, and a old aluminum gorilla. If I can get a straight spot in the tree its the M7, if the tree is crooked, its the lone wolf. Gorilla is back up

I was using Hawk helium sticks with a XOP stand but now going with a Mantis saddle and 3 hawk helium sticks. With a aider on the bottom stick I can get about 18' in the air with only 3 sticks. Set up is very light still working on how will carry in and out of the woods yet.

.30WCF

FNG
They don’t make it anymore but I have a gorilla scout (7-8#) and a set of tree gaffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you saddle hunters are any of you hunting off the top of your sticks to save money on the platform? I’m just not sure I can swing the entire set up this season.
I do not do that, but have heard about people doing it. One problem you may run into with that would be side pressure on the stick if you need to rotate around the tree a little to shoot or hide. Depends on the quality of the stick. Maybe a second strap higher up on the stick would mitigate that issue also. Wild edge stepp would work well since they really bite down solid.
I went with the platform, figured it would be an easier transition going from a tree stand. Currently I don’t see myself buying any more stands.

Thanks for the info man! Hopefully I can scrounge the money up for the whole deal but I’m not sure yet

It's important to know your tolerance for carrying stuff and being comfortable. I started out buying the lightest thing I could and progressed into using a 2 piece climber for 90% of what I do. Where I hunt we really can get more than 2 miles from any road so weight isn't much of an issue. I hunt to enjoy myself so a stand better be comfortable enough to take a nap if needed.

I use a lone wolf alpha sit and climb. It’s light and easy it use. It’s pretty quiet going up a tree. They are in my opinion worth the money. It is a not super roomy like some summits but doesn’t weigh as much either.

Ddog

WKR
I haven't, but a local shop has them on sale. I think I'm gonna grab the stand and step combo soon and give it a go this season for my first lightweight mobile set-up. IMO, it'll need little rattle-can camo job to break up the light tan.

NME

FNG
I haven't, but a local shop has them on sale. I think I'm gonna grab the stand and step combo soon and give it a go this season for my first lightweight mobile set-up. IMO, it'll need little rattle-can camo job to break up the light tan.
I agree with the paint job for sure. Let me know what you think about it after you get it.

Can’t say I ever tried one but it definitely looks interesting

Reactions: NME

pk_

WKR
I will echo Lone Wolf stand.

for sticks I have LW, Muddy pro and Beast sticks. The beast sticks are worth the extra $$ if you are buying new.

Otherwise you can pick up used sticks pretty cheap since so some new ones have been coming out...

be very careful with used LW sticks. The steps get indented where they contact the Allen screw and begin to angle downwards. Also keep the hardware tightened through the season.

good luck and be safe

Ddog

WKR
I agree with the paint job for sure. Let me know what you think about it after you get it.

Will do, at about half the price of LW or XOP it's worth a shot. It was pretty light weight while I was messing with the display.

NME

FNG
Will do, at about half the price of LW or XOP it's worth a shot. It was pretty light weight while I was messing with the display.
That’s awesome you got to put your hands on it. I’d wrap the sticks with hockey tape as well to silence clinging and clanging. That price is great I think I’m gonna just grab it right now online as well. Curious how easy it is to pack that up. Let me know your thoughts when you test it out please

I have gone through many different climbers, light weight hang on stands and stick setups and must say that my Lone Wolf Hand climber is my favorite. It is light, easy to setup, and packs together pretty thin. That is my go to. That said, the past 3 years I have found myself taking my Aerohunter kestrel saddle and lone wolf sticks out with me more so than a tree stand.

I've been using an xop vanish and their sticks for a few years. Holding up good and can't beat them for the price.

VTJ

FNG
Ive used a Lone Wolf Alpha II since 2012 along with 4 LW sticks... the sticks are rope modified, with longer ropes to get me up some huge oaks and cottonwoods, also the sticks have been 'stealth stripped' to quiet them down ... I can go up the same trees climbers can and dozens more trees they cant , 20 ft is easily reach by me and I sometimes use an aider on the bottom stick ... I do all day sits several times a year or I'll get down and move if the wind switches and finish up the day in another location .. Ive used my set up so much, I can set the sticks and stand blind folded if needed ... lol ..

VTJ

FNG
here is my set up fully packed and I'm ready to go up that huge oak ....

Attachments

• 20171208_124655.jpg
    20171208_124655.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 61