What's a Good Mobile Tree Stand Setup?

*zap*

WKR
Lone wolf hand climber for a climber friendly woods.

Lone wolf or xop for a hang on stand and lots of options for sticks/steps. I like Cranford rope steps because they are small and light and I can set them 2' apart. For sticks I like Muddy stagger steps, not the lightest but the safest imo.

KW03

FNG
I use the XOP Vanish xt and lone wolf sticks. It’s been an awesome combo for my mobile hunting. Very light and quiet. I use it for both bow and gun hunting and love them

I’m planning on upgrading at some point, but my current setup is an old Loc-On brand stand I bought on FB marketplace for like $15 and 5 Wild Edge steps with their movable aider. It’s about the lightest and cheapest setup I could figure out and it’s worked for me over the past season. My setup isn’t the lightest or the most comfortable but I’ve only got about $150 total into my run and gun setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just this year I got into the run/gun type bowhunting.

Bought an XOP Vanish Elite stand and the Muddy Pro sticks that have the rope cam.

It seems like it takes me longer to get my gear (bow, pack, extra clothes etc) up the tree than it does to get the stand and sticks set. Really liking hunting this way, just need to figure out a better way to get my chit up the tree!

I use an older 8.5# lone wolf assault stand and 4 beast sticks. The beast stand is supposed to be around 6.5# when it comes out.

RLGrats

FNG
Another echo for Hawk Helium (step on both sides) but definitely do the rope mod for hanging. WAY easier. Also use the Lone Wolf hanging aid (a hook to hold the stand while you strap it on) - works with LW, XOP, and even hawk stands to make the hang on easier.

I used a Summit Cobra for years as my walk in hunting set up on public. If I couldn't find a tree to climb I simply used the top half (seat portion) and strapped it on what ever I could and used it as a tree seat. Later on I migrated to just a tree seat and left the tree tops all together ......

*zap*

WKR
I used a Summit Cobra for years as my walk in hunting set up on public. If I couldn't find a tree to climb I simply used the top half (seat portion) and strapped it on what ever I could and used it as a tree seat. Later on I migrated to just a tree seat and left the tree tops all together ......

I find that taking/using just the top section of my Lone Wolf hand climber is my favorite mobile set up. I find a good spot and keep my feet on the ground. Light, fast and simple set up.

Similar to you I have spent 25+ years hunting from permanent stands. This was my first year trying a mobile setup to get closer to recent deer activity.
I bought the lone wolf alpha with three sticks. I saw a lot of deer from it this year. I never hung the stand in the dark as I wasn’t ready for that but if hunting in the morning if hang it the night before or wait until enough daylight to hang the stand. I used two big screw in steps for my first two climbing points off the ground and with three sticks I could get plenty high and sometimes too high. I highly recommend this setup for new to mobile hunting hunters. They ran a 4th of July sale and that is when I bought mine.

Buzby

WKR
Been using a Aerohunter Kestrel for a couple years now. Surprisingly comfortable! You can’t beat a saddle for weight savings. It does take a while to get used to the system and figure out how to get comfortable. If you must go with a traditional stand, LW is the answer.

Lone Wolf Assault hand climber with a customized "ass strap"

OR

Lone Wolf assault lock on with sticks.

One or the other is what I use. Cant believe anyone would use anything different to be honest.

They are the lightest setups out there for the DIY guy who walks a long ways.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Mantis Saddle this season and was very impressed with it. It's comfortable, secure, quieter/easier shot angles, and lighter. I won't be going back to my hang-on's any time soon. In my permanent ladder stand locations I use the seat as my saddle platform.

backstraps01

Lil-Rokslider
I will have to go along with many others...

LW Assault, Beast sticks or LW sticks.
Cant wait for the BEAST stand to get on the market!

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
There’s lots of variables based on how light you want or or distance/terrain covered, trees presented and their nature, legality, etc.

Tough to beat a LW w sticks. Xop is the cheaper variant. They’ll work most anywhere.

Climbers are only viable in certain areas. A saddle setup only works for some.

I will also echo the saddle as a great run and gun choice. I purchased a Tethrd mantis and ran hawk helium sticks and a climbing aider to get some extra height. I've had a lot of fun hunting that way. I sold my XOP climber and likely won't go back to the lock on or climber for mobile hunting. You have so much more versatility with a saddle set up.