What's a Good Mobile Tree Stand Setup?

For years I used an aluminum Gorilla hang-on that weighs 8 lbs. combined with either strap-on nylon individual steps (3-6 depending on how high and how many branches I could use) or LW sticks. Honestly, I climbed a lot of trees with those strap-on steps and they weigh very little and pack in my backpack really well. I always found the climbing sticks to be a bit of a pain, and loud, but they do feel a little more secure I suppose.

The reason I always used hang-ons is that I like hunting from trees with branches. Night and day difference when it comes to being spotted up in the tree. There is a reason so many guys with climbers go up above 20 ft. I would routinely hunt below 15' in my hang-on and not get busted. I had many deer walk under me when I was less than 12 feet up, but I had a lot of branches around me, which makes all the difference.

My best setups only needed one or two strap-on steps to get up to the first main branch, then I would just use good branches from there. I had a few trees like that on public land that I'd go in before the season and do a little selective trimming with my pole saw, for shooting lanes, and then I'd be set for the rest of the season.

Those were the days. These days, I try to stay on the ground or use ladder stands because I'm getting close to retirement and I don't want to spend it in a wheelchair. LOL

I might be in the minority but I’m not a fan of the lone wolf sticks. I love my Alpha stand, but I’m looking to move to either Hawk Helium or Muddy Pro sticks next year just for the double step.

Why dont line wolf do double steps,seems like such a easy upgrade?
I just cant see giving twice the price for beast sticks.Am i missing something ?

4ester

WKR
Summits are the king for all day sits. Although they are not as small for packing as some of the other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAPTOR

WKR
Lone Wolf Custom Gear is about the most mobile compact setup out there. Different from Lone Wolf. They just came out with a 5.5lb hang on (real world probably around 7). My LWCG 1.0 stand and 4 full sticks is about as light and compact as it gets. No more bungeeing packs to stands and having shit stick out away from your back.

Why dont line wolf do double steps,seems like such a easy upgrade?
I just cant see giving twice the price for beast sticks.Am i missing something ?

I’m not sure why they don’t go down that road. I found some aftermarket steps that bolt on but they are too expensive for me to justify buying them when I could just buy another set of sticks.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I have always bought the cheapest stands I could find since I am mostly hunting over heavy trails/bait. I have decided I want to buy a setup for going deep into areas and do more of a run and gun approach. What do most of you use for your mobile stand setup? Been looking at Lone Wolf but there has to be some less expensive options for a lightweight/climbing stand + sticks.
Completely agree. The packability of Lone Wolf makes it stand out to me. Plus the durability makes them worth their weight in gold. I’ve add API and Summit climbers in the past, but they weight in from about 22-25 lbs. when you’re whitetail hunting, maybe I’m a wuss, but that’s too much weight when carrying my bow and pack. Either way, the Lone wolf setup ^ he talked about it good to go, IMO.

That LWCG stuff looks like it's a cut above the rest. I noticed a picture on instagram this week that looked like they might have a double step setup coming out. I'm going to be all over that if it happens.

cdg097

FNG
I’ve sold every stand I own and hunt exclusively from a saddle. I own the Tethrd Mantis and the new one that hasn’t yet been released for sales, the Phantom. The Mantis is a fantastic saddle, and the Phantom is an upgrade on an already great product. I’ve had multiple spine surgeries and can hunt from dark to dark with zero pain. Anybody thats on the fence about it, I highly suggest you check them out (regardless of saddle company).

cdg097

FNG
You are correct on the double step setup. It was in their booth at ATA, and will have an attached aider on the bottom.

That LWCG stuff looks like it's a cut above the rest. I noticed a picture on instagram this week that looked like they might have a double step setup coming out. I'm going to be all over that if it happens.

You are correct on the double step setup. It was in their booth at ATA, and will have an attached aider on the bottom.

Nice. That should be a really sweet setup. I’m sure it will cost a small fortune but it seems worth it. If that combo is as good as I think it will be, it’s likely to be the last set of sticks I purchase for a long time.

gsimmons2

FNG
I run and gun 90% of the time for whitetail, I use the Millennium m7 microlite and the muddy pro sticks. I went with the millennium because it was the lightest on the market and the muddys because of the cam lock system. I can be up in a tree in about 10-15 minutes completely silent. Might have to go with that new LWCG though this season, I hear it’s around 5 lbs 👀

The newer generation of the Hawk Helium sticks are also a very good option both because they are one of the lightest and they also stack together nicely.

2RiversCO

Lil-Rokslider
A bit spendy, but the Out On A Limb Shikar sticks are light, 1.5 pounds, pack small, have great bite and you can make them how you want (1 or 2 steps top and bottom & choose 3 lengths). www.outonalimbmfg.com

just another lightweight option to look at.

For you saddle hunters are any of you hunting off the top of your sticks to save money on the platform? I’m just not sure I can swing the entire set up this season.