What's everybody's load opinions on 280 ai?

I have a Savage 110 timberline in 280 ai. It's shoots factory Nosler 140s fair, about 1 inch groups, 155 Federals a little tighter, 3/4 ", Nosler 160 accubonds pretty good, 3/8", which is what I'm hunting with bc I have the most of ammowise. But my friend gave me 8 rounds of Hornady ELD-X 162 gr precision hunter and WOW!!! Shot first group of three and literally one ragged hole you'd swear was only 2 shots. Didn't believe it so I had to send 2 more downrange and again one hole!! So now I'm holding 3 of those rounds like they're the last bullets on earth, why?
I don't know. I have friends that are reloaders so I guess I need to find out Hornadys info. So is it the bullet weight or is it the fps that's the cats meow for my rifle? And I know these accubonds are devastating on everything they've touched! Are the ELD-X bullets good killers too?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Factory loads typically use a proprietary powder that you'll never be able to obtain. Measuring the load dimensions and using that as a starting point working up to the same velocity should get you close. I haven't shot them myself but the general consensus is the ELD-X is designed specifically for long range and is a little explosive on closer shots with higher velocity. You'll see a lot of ironic critique about ELD-X performance on a dead animal..

My X-bolt HCS 280 AI does about 1-1/2 MOA with Nosler 140 Accubond, 3/4 MOA with the Federal 155 Terminal Ascent, and just under 3/4 MOA with the Nosler 160 Accubond. I'm sure it would do much better with someone other than me behind it. Haha! Seems to also be improving the more I shoot it, so probably not broke in good yet.

I also have some Nosler 150 Accubond Long Range to try it at some point. Thanks for the heads up on the ELD-X, I'll add them to my list to try. I'd also like to try my old standby Nosler Partition in it, if I can ever find any.

I've fired 3 of the Terminal Ascents at animals since I got it, a coyote and 2 whitetails were DRT. Can't ask for much more.

OP
C
Factory loads typically use a proprietary powder that you'll never be able to obtain. Measuring the load dimensions and using that as a starting point working up to the same velocity should get you close. I haven't shot them myself but the general consensus is the ELD-X is designed specifically for long range and is a little explosive on closer shots with higher velocity. You'll see a lot of ironic critique about ELD-X performance on a dead animal..
Thanks for that info! Me personally I don't mind a somewhat explosive round. Mostly hunting thin skinned East NC whitetails, but also hunt out west for muleys and whitetails for a week. I'll start working on finding that sweet spot if I can find some powder. I'm thinking H4831 sc would be perfect but none to be found. And what type primers are the goods?

OP
C
It shoots 160 Accubonds into 3/8", and that's just pretty good? You have much higher standards than I do! I'd roll with that and never look back, especially if you have it on hand.
Yessir! Thanks, yeah my buddy who is a damn good competition shooter and reloader said the same thing. He said that accubond is one hell of a killer and that's a great group for a hunting rifle (Savage timberline left hand) and factory ammo! Didn't know if he was blowing smoke or not, funny thing was my groups didn't even open up that much further out! Really consistent to me actually, probably 1 inch at 200 and 2 inches at 300 yds. I was happy with that but I'm always looking to get a little better!

OP
C
My X-bolt HCS 280 AI does about 1-1/2 MOA with Nosler 140 Accubond, 3/4 MOA with the Federal 155 Terminal Ascent, and just under 3/4 MOA with the Nosler 160 Accubond. I'm sure it would do much better with someone other than me behind it. Haha! Seems to also be improving the more I shoot it, so probably not broke in good yet.

I also have some Nosler 150 Accubond Long Range to try it at some point. Thanks for the heads up on the ELD-X, I'll add them to my list to try. I'd also like to try my old standby Nosler Partition in it, if I can ever find any.

I've fired 3 of the Terminal Ascents at animals since I got it, a coyote and 2 whitetails were DRT. Can't ask for much more.
That sounds alot like my rifle in the way she's grouping tighter with the heavier bullets. I was thinking she liked the heavier bullets better but not sure if it's just getting broke in or is it the slower velocities making it group tighter. I've shot 3 whitetail bucks this year all full grown 3-4 year olds and 2 out of 3 drt. The biggest was dogging a doe hard and he acted like he didn't feel a thing when I hit him at 250 yds broadside perfect shot, I'm guessing his adrenaline had him numb bc he just kind of lazily chased her when she took off for about 200 yds!!! Starting to doubt my shot, my rifle, my scope watching this tough rascal get away he starts leaning on over and tips dead when he hit the ground!

OP
C
You’re still looking after 160gr Accubonds shot 3/8”?
Well not really hard now. I did want to hear some opinions on this and I'm feeling better all the time. I thought the 160 accubonds were pretty good so I did stick with them. It's just those 162 ELD-X precision hunters were better. Didn't know if it was the bullet weight or velocity my rifle likes. I know Accubonds are devastating on game, I'm curious on how the ELD-X perform on critters. My friends a shooter and reloader and he said that's damn fine groups for a brand new hunting rifle not even broke in yet and factory ammo.

That sounds alot like my rifle in the way she's grouping tighter with the heavier bullets. I was thinking she liked the heavier bullets better but not sure if it's just getting broke in or is it the slower velocities making it group tighter. I've shot 3 whitetail bucks this year all full grown 3-4 year olds and 2 out of 3 drt. The biggest was dogging a doe hard and he acted like he didn't feel a thing when I hit him at 250 yds broadside perfect shot, I'm guessing his adrenaline had him numb bc he just kind of lazily chased her when she took off for about 200 yds!!! Starting to doubt my shot, my rifle, my scope watching this tough rascal get away he starts leaning on over and tips dead when he hit the ground!

What is your barrel's twist rate? I'm no expert, but my understanding is barrels with fast twist rates seem to do better with heavier, longer for caliber bullets. My xbolt is 1:8, which is on the fast side for the 280 AI.

OP
C
What is your barrel's twist rate? I'm no expert, but my understanding is barrels with fast twist rates seem to do better with heavier, longer for caliber bullets. My xbolt is 1:8, which is on the fast side for the 280 AI.
I believe it's 1:9. Savage 110 timberline. I'm tickled with this rig and my 25 year old Vari X3 4.5-14x50. I should probably change with the times and get a turret scope but my Kentucky windage is pretty good out to 500. I've never shot any further

I’ve been shooting a mixture of bullets out of my 280AIs. 140 ballistic tips, 155 TAs, 160 ABs and some 175 Bergers. All of them all less than 1 MOA in both guns. The cartridge is inherently accurate and it sounds like you’ve found some great options for you. Like others have said, the “terminal ballistics” or terminal characteristics are different between the eldx and Accubond. But both will kill. I personally like the Accubond better due to the construction type. But my favorite of all of these is the terminal ascent. It’s terminal characteristics are a mix between an Accubond and a copper bullet. Expands well and drives deep. I’m really looking forward to them releasing the .284/165 grains that is supposed to be released this year…I’m really hoping that’s becomes my go to here soon. Sorry for the tangent. If I were you, take the accubonds (cause you have them and they shoot well) and run them till everything on the mountain is dead.

OP
C
I’ve been shooting a mixture of bullets out of my 280AIs. 140 ballistic tips, 155 TAs, 160 ABs and some 175 Bergers. All of them all less than 1 MOA in both guns. The cartridge is inherently accurate and it sounds like you’ve found some great options for you. Like others have said, the “terminal ballistics” or terminal characteristics are different between the eldx and Accubond. But both will kill. I personally like the Accubond better due to the construction type. But my favorite of all of these is the terminal ascent. It’s terminal characteristics are a mix between an Accubond and a copper bullet. Expands well and drives deep. I’m really looking forward to them releasing the .284/165 grains that is supposed to be released this year…I’m really hoping that’s becomes my go to here soon. Sorry for the tangent. If I were you, take the accubonds (cause you have them and they shoot well) and run them till everything on the mountain is dead.
Man thanks so much for this info! I'm really pumped I found this rokslide forum! Alot of different views, wisdom and knowledge!!!

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm thinking H4831 sc would be perfect but none to be found. And what type primers are the goods?
My 280ai load is 58.4gr H4831SC behind 162 ELD-M, CCI LRP. Case density isn't the greatest, velocity is right at 2800fps. It's a pretty mild load but it's very consistent and I don't mind the lesser velocity because of the whole ELD-X/M debacle.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting a Savage Ultralite which has the 22” barrel, which causes me to lose a little velocity. I am loading a 160 accubond with 61.2 grains of H4831 and a CCI BR-2 primer. Velocity is at 2810 with a very low SD. Case capacity is pretty full as you can hear a slight crunch at the bottom of the bullet seat. My understanding is that the 4831 loses velocity on the heavier bullets comparative to their powders. I am going to try a 150 accubond if ever they are readily available again but I am satisfied for now as this is a very accurate and velocity consistent round.

Seeknelk

WKR
So besides the obvious of shoot the accubonds and Hornady precision when you find it....there no way of knowing what it is about any given load, especially a factory load , that your rifle shoots well. With the exception of extremes in bullet length vs. twist rate.
It could be a hundred things in only certain combinations that make that bullet work.
. For example..maybe you mimic that factory load to a tee, except use different primer and it shoots bad because of that.
Or your dies are different , different neck tension, etc. But knowing the rifle CAN shoot that bullet extremely well is a good place to start.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well not really hard now. I did want to hear some opinions on this and I'm feeling better all the time. I thought the 160 accubonds were pretty good so I did stick with them. It's just those 162 ELD-X precision hunters were better. Didn't know if it was the bullet weight or velocity my rifle likes. I know Accubonds are devastating on game, I'm curious on how the ELD-X perform on critters. My friends a shooter and reloader and he said that's damn fine groups for a brand new hunting rifle not even broke in yet and factory ammo.
Those Accubonds are a much more consistent bullet in performance at all ranges than those ELD-Xs are. I'd run an Accubond, Terminal Ascent, TTSX, LRX, TSX, GameKing, Tipped Gameking, Scirocco, Partition etc etc before I considered loading ELD-Xs. My 280AI shoots TAs, GKs, LRXs all under 1/2 MOA. Those bullets all perform better than the ELD-Xs. Lots of guys swear by the ELD-X and a lot swear at them. I'd shoot them if that's all I could find, but I stocked up during the good times for component availability and have more preferred options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it's a 175gr they're releasing, not a 165gr in the 7mm TA.

I think it's a 175gr they're releasing, not a 165gr in the 7mm TA.

You are right. I actually talked with the Federal rep at the Utah Hunt Expo. It is a 175, but he says they will be lucky to have it released by the start of the next year. He was guessing it wouldn't be until spring of 2023. He said they are an ammunition manufacturer first, and a components manufacturer second. :rolleyes: