What’s everyone’s favorite early season sock?

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Wore darn tough light weight hiking sock last year in the beginning of September and my feet were sweating something awful causing some blisters. Do you guys still use merino socks in the early season? Or go to synthetics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I just wear Smart Wool hiking socks, from September to February.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I never wear synthetic socks.
Wool all year round for me.

Sure your boots/shoes are breathable?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I never wear synthetic socks.
Wool all year round for me.

Sure your boots/shoes are breathable?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

They were supposed to be. They were the Schnees bear tooth 2’s. Yeah, they’re leather so not as breathable as possible

Rob5589

WKR
Darn Tough all season. My feet sweat more wearing blended materials than the merino.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Smart wool has different models that are thinner and thicker but still merino wool and great quality. They also have taller and shorter versions. Go to your local store that sells smart wool and check them out.

I use the thinner socks for spring and summer and into Fall. Winter I wear the “thicker” model. Firstlite sent me some of their early season merino socks and they were pretty nice. Not as nice as the smart wool in my opinion.

You can but your foot may slide around too much. You have to tighten your boot more and that can be uncomfortable.

Thin merino socks are much better IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally don’t have any issues with the Kenetrek liner. My feet overheat easily, so I usually error on the side of thinner is better. My Kenetreks tighten down and secure my foot nicely so no sliding occurs. I am looking to get the Merino Superfeet insoles though. Those should provide good arch support as well as wicking away moisture.

I forgot to add, a thin sock with a tightened boot does not provide nearly any air gap that a thicker sock can provide . I like some of that air gap and cushion for my feet to breathe. YMMV.

I need good arch supports as well, I’ll check out those merino super feet ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try farm to feet in the same or similar thickness, I found darn tough was too dense of a weave and held too much moisture. Gore are the best but not made anymore, I like the farm to feet Madison and stone glaciers are much thinner and synthetic but have done well for me

406unltd

WKR
I only day hunt and or hunt from the truck so I don’t use a merino type sock. My feet also get hot in them so I don’t use merino. In the army I used fox river wick dry socks. That was years ago and I still have them. I bought some new pairs as well but I don’t use any other types of sock.