What's everyone's favorite kuiu top/jacket?

SwiftShot

WKR
Guide Jacket and Gila Hoodie for other stuff. Early Season like now the Gila is awesome for me.

Peloton 240 is a pretty amazing piece, most used by far.

Base layer I flip flop between the peloton 118 and 125 merino.

I’ve been pretty impressed with the durability of both the tiburon and attack pants. I have the axis line as well, but haven’t had a chance to really use them.

mid and outer layer is peloton 240, super down vest and a axis hybrid.

Peleton 97. I wear it anytime I'm moving and it's cold in September. If I'm sitting still to glass, the puffy comes out.

I might be weird, but I've worn just it and my 125 base layer down to 40.

I'm a big fan of my Merino 145 and especially the 210 merino hoody when it gets chilly and then the guide jacket is hands down the best all around outer layer... even better when its Verde 1.0

inkedspot

FNG
Peloton 97 Zip Hoodie is an amazing piece that doesn't weigh much (6 oz) and will keep you functional down into the mid 40s depending on your temperature tolerance and activity level. Surprisingly the Peloton 240 hoodie is my favorite jacket or outerwear piece (18 oz). You can combine it and the 97 to cover temps down pretty far as long as you are still moving. A puffy layer of some type for when you become stationary is really handy, I had the KUIU one before Kenai but now am using a SG Grumman. If you have rain gear as a hard shell you should have a system that will go into any temp. Only other item that I can't live without is an ultralight wind layer. I keep a Patagonia Houdini because it weighs nothing (4 oz) and you can stay pretty warm when you can cut the wind off altogether.

The KUIU Kutana Stretch Woven pants are amazing in warm weather, and for cooler to colder temps the Pro Pants are a good pant that give you the added bonus of knee pads to absorb rocks and thorns when you kneel down.

JRS3

FNG
Shirt
Peloton 118 LS Zip-T (nice to be able to dump heat by unzipping; harder to do with regular shirt). I will wear a SS Ultra Merino underneath if I know at some point during the day I'm going to be sweating (heat and/or exertion) but temperatures will be cool enough to wear a LS shirt but not cold enough to wear some insulation (ex: StrongFleece).

Insulation (Jacket)
I have the Kenai but I have never taken it on a hunt (including multiple trips to AK). I have always taken my down puffier. If you go the down route, grab the PRO (or comparable) and skip over the ULTRA (or comparable). It's only a bit more money and a bit more weight, but quite a bit warmer.

Jacket
Use a rain jacket if camp is on your back otherwise the use the old Kutana or the Axis. I am a fan of the Peloton 240 and it has served me well on all hunts including multiple ones in AK.
Does anyone wear the Kenai under an Axis? I’m wondering if this is practical.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
Axis jacket is great, my peloton 240 hoody has been used most…super versatile, and my newest add for a mid layer is the strong fleece 280…love it.

JRS3

FNG
I was contemplating an Ultra with the Axis but after seeing the comments about the Kenai, I’m leaning towards it now as a layer under the Axis.

I like Large for the base layers and typically get XL jackets. The XL Guide DCS fits me comfortably tight with thin-er layers underneath like a merino 145 and a 200 wt top or a guide vest. If I go with a Kenai, it sounds like I should get a XXL Axis, if they fit similarly to the Guide jacket (athletic fit).

A crucial top for me when bow hunting or in super buggy areas like swamps.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Nothing else comes close to this.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Chinook Jacket hands down the single most versatile piece of gear I own. Wouldn't hunt September Bulls without one.

Rock-o

WKR
My favorite pieces are Guide DCS. While I really like both the pant and the jacket I may ditch the jacket and take only my cheap puffy and cheap hard shell. I also wear one of the lighweight (120?) ultramerino base shirts. My base legwear is some cheap synthetic from probably Walmart.

Last edited:
Been using First Lite wick t shirt, hoody and boot top bottoms the last couple of years for merino baselayers. Theyve worked pretty well, but the tops have an ungodly amount of seams. I honestly dont know how they managed to get that many seams on a shirt. This year I tried out the ultra merino 120 hoodie and crew, and I cant see wearing the FL stuff again. More comfortable, fits better, and you dont even really know its there.

2-Stix

WKR
My entire kit is Kuiu...I like it all. Merino 145 base, strong fleece 210 & 260, kenai puff, kutana pants are very durable and I like the attacks also, all their gear is great really.

Last edited:
Merino 145 is very versatile. Then add a strong fleece mid layer. I have both the axis jacket and the Yukon rain jacket for outer layers. Love it all.

Guide vest(actually have two of them) and 120, 145 or 210 merino underneath depending on temps. Pretty much my go to every day. I have a non hunting pullover I throw over it all early in the AM if it is cooler. I do have the guide jacket but rarely wear it. Sorry for the bad selfie, but pretty much what I wear every day without fail.

Attachments

• kuiu.jpg
    kuiu.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 45