What’s in between a 6.5 Creedmoor and the Magnums?

Zappaman

WKR
I drank the 260ai cool-aid six years back. With RL-26 (yes the unicorn shits every now and then- get it when is available!) I am extremely happy with my "gap filler". You can shoot your CM bullets you already own- faster and flatter and with just a touch more recoil than the CM.

There is fire forming, but I have killed a dozen deer fire forming with an exceptionally accurate load (using IMR4831)- pick up that brass!!! I use Winchester 7-08 brass necked down and it's taken me 5 years to get a set of 60 where I am now I'm on my first round with that fire-formed brass (again... reloaded with RL-26 now). 🦌

Mine is a Savage Axis II on a Boyds custom maple stock with an Apache 25" sporter barrel that shoots better than my lead sled can ;) Just a hair over seven lbs. scoped and loaded.

I use my stainless Savage Axis II Creed with 120-130 bullets for deer out to 400- flat and deadly on ANY deer, pig, coyote and on down. But for elk, I'll use the 260ai to 600 with a heavier bonded bullet (or a faster mono if going for horns when I'll be shooting the shoulders). The 260ai definitely kicks WAY less than my 7mm RM and a bit less than my 270 (but I get to keep the BC with a 6.5 bullet).

YMMV... good luck!

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting a 6.5 creedmoor because I got a slamming deal on a new Tikka. It's always been my plan to re barrel at some point. When I do, it'll be a .280 AI. I reload so that makes my decision easier. If I didn't, I would probably stick with my 6.5 or go to .270.
Or rechamber to RPM

Tf44

FNG
Can't go wrong with 30-06, 270, or 308. You can normally find ammo for all three at any hardware store in the country and all three will take any animal in north America with the right ammo.

I recently bought a Weatherby Backcountry 280AI and love it. 5.3 lbs with no noticeable felt recoil.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This would have been my rifle if weatherby made non magnums in lefty. I love the fit and finish of their product. Went with a 7mm mag instead bc I do not reload at this time. I have that in a cooper 92 and the recoil is very mild with the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I could but I want heavier projectiles than what 6.5 gives me.
Sorry, I saw your OP and did not know you decided against 6.5 caliber of any kind. I mentioned the RPM as it has more power than the PRC.
In that case the 280AI has alot to offer.

Seeknelk

WKR
I could but I want heavier projectiles than what 6.5 gives me.
Well then that basically eliminates the 270 for factory ammo. You might find 150 grain power points or fusions for the 270. That's about as heavy as it'll get from factory. I have an old 270, killed most my critters with it.
Headstamps don't matter. Pick the bullet you want, at the velocity you want and then the case that will get the job done and you can actually find .
Good muzzle brakes or suppressor do awesome things! My 9 pound all up 300 prc is nicknamed Teddy Bear cuz it's so comfy and easy to shoot , 215 bergers at 2930. MBM Beast ti brake is effective.
There are a variety of custom load makers that can load what you need also. Unknown Munitions is just one example. Spendy ammo but if you don't reload that's the game you play if you can't find what you need elsewhere.
A 280 ai or 7 saum would be your huckleberry I think.

renagde

WKR
Well then that basically eliminates the 270 for factory ammo. You might find 150 grain power points or fusions for the 270. That's about as heavy as it'll get from factory. I have an old 270, killed most my critters with it.
Headstamps don't matter. Pick the bullet you want, at the velocity you want and then the case that will get the job done and you can actually find .
Good muzzle brakes or suppressor do awesome things! My 9 pound all up 300 prc is nicknamed Teddy Bear cuz it's so comfy and easy to shoot , 215 bergers at 2930. MBM Beast ti brake is effective.
There are a variety of custom load makers that can load what you need also. Unknown Munitions is just one example. Spendy ammo but if you don't reload that's the game you play if you can't find what you need elsewhere.
A 280 ai or 7 saum would be your huckleberry I think.
Yup pretty much the same conclusion I came to.

sneaky

"DADDY"
280 AI is going to produce recoil on par with a 3006. 270 or 6.5 PRC does not get you much over your Creedmore. Your answer is a 308 or a standard 280. Ammo availability probably gives the nod to the 308. 280 wins on cool factor points tho!
I shoot a Cooper 92 in 280AI and that thing doesn't kick at all. 280Rem ammo can be fired in a 280AI so that makes it an even easier choice. Can shoot a 160 range bullet in the 280AI with better ballistics than a 180 in a 30-06 with less recoil. Was an easy decision for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk